Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: It's official......I'm allergic to fabric.............NOOOOOOOOO

In today's world of everything being scented up with soaps and perfumes, many are becoming allergic to their ways of life. Check out how room deordorizers work. Yes, I too am allergic to air-borne smells. Ironing some fabrics actually makes me dizzy and clogged up. I did not realize that formaldhyde was used in materials but knew it was in a lot of cosmetics, etc. Thank you for this post for I have learned a lot about what I now need to do. I wash only my cheaper fabrics and always cut a diagnol one inch piece from the corners before washing to prevent a lot of loose threads. But now I will wash even my nicest Thimbleberries. Like so many of you, I take it from dryer a little damp and then iron and fold as if it had just been taken from the bolt.

Thank you svenskaflicka1 for the link to cancer site. I have breast cancer with some recent additional developments so gaining more knowledge is always a good thing. These carcinogens are all around us.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    So sorry about your allergy! We have a fabric store locally that only carries organic fabrics that have all natural dyes. And they are beautiful fabrics...not just beige, etc. No formaldehyde or any other chemicals. Maybe there is one in your area, too. My fabric comes right in the house and goes into the washer. I usually end up ironing it twice...once to get the wrinkles out and once to get the folds out. Starch really helps. Good luck.

Oh, no!!! I am so sorry to hear this. I hope the follow up testing goes quickly and there is a solution.

Kyia

The things that I learn here! I did not realize that clipping the corners of the fabric prior to washing would help it to not ravel! Bummer about the fabric allergy!

Blog Entries
    How very very heart breaking ,I would have broken down in the Dr. office and cryed :cry:

Instead of using pinking shears to finish the raw edges, I use a wavy blade on my rotary cutter. I lay my ruler about 1/2" from the edge to hold the fabric in place, then zip down the edge in a flash. As for clipping a corner, I've often heard of that, but logically don't understand how that could work. It seems to me that would open a bound edge so raveling can start right at the cut. Can anyone enlighten me on how this might work?

As for drying, be sure to dry on permanent press setting. I let my dry all the way and pull out the fabric immediately to be folded. Iron it? Why bother until you plan to use the fabric? My stash is huge and I'll only use a fraction of it in my lifetime. Why would I want to lose time ironing fabric when I may never even use it? I iron as I go.

My sympathy on your allergy. Perhaps rubber gloves and a face mask will get you through the washing process. Good luck!

I believe you may be referring to latex gloves. Latex bothers some people, too.

I know what you are going through! Never a smoker, I've been diagnosed with Emphysema and the doctor told me to stay away frm cutting fabric - expecially cotton! How do you that as a quilter? You learn to wear an N95 mask when you cut it. If you are not allergic to latex, perhaps you could wear latex gloves when handling the fabric prior to washing.

I also wash my fabric, dry and remove from the dryer when it beeps. Fold, then iron when ready to cut! Since I still have a closet rod in my fabric closet, I put a lot of the pieces on hangers that trousers were returned from the cleaners on, then hany them up. Hope this helps some. Hang in there!

I am sorry to hear that you are allergic to fabric. You may haveto go with organic cotton.

I would use light gloves to handle the fabric with until it had been washed.

When I wash my fabric I hang it out to dry and when it is just damp, bring it in, iron it and trim the frayed bits. My least liked Job :-)

Maybe1day

you will be ok---I have the same allergy and did not find it out until I was working in a fabric store. Almost passed out, what a weird feeling. But the doctor discovered it and now I just bring home the fabrics, wash them in cold, dry them in the dryer with a snuggle fabric softener sheet and I am good to go. I do not sew the edges because it gives me the info to see if I need to finish edges when I make things or not. I am on allergy meds and as long as I take them everyday, I am fine. I was not about to let it keep me from my passion.

I am also finding that I am affected by fabrics. I was in my local Joann store this Saturday, and within seconds of being in the baby fabric aisle, my eyes began burning. I eventually had to leave the store. I was moderately affected with stuffy nose, irritated eyes, and a slight cough for two days. Previous to that, I got REALLY sick from seconds of contact with very linty moda jelly rolls. I was on the couch with the same symptoms only way worse, plus dizziness and fatigue (caused by formaldehyde I guess) for several days. I never know what fabrics or stores will affect me. It's scary that fabric can affect people so badly.

I put all my fabric in the dryer and take it out as long it is warm...fold it and I even don't have to iron it....but I know it depends on the quality of the fabric, the softer it feels the better it comes out of the dryer...now wrinkles

It certainly is surprising that with so many people becoming affected by the processes that are used to treat fabric that more isn't being done about it, particularly as some of these processes are known to be very toxic. Maybe in the scope of things the number of affected people is quite low per head of population and that is why not?

I couldn't think of anything worse than being allergic to fabric :shock:

If Fabric is wrinkled when you takeout of dryer spray with plain water in a spray bottle then press.

Quote Originally Posted by eleu16
    I put all my fabric in the dryer and take it out as long it is warm...fold it and I even don't have to iron it....but I know it depends on the quality of the fabric, the softer it feels the better it comes out of the dryer...now wrinkles
    sorry it should say NO wrinkles !!!

I bet you are not the only one with an allergy to fabric chemicals. I wash my fabrics for that reason and, if they are going to bleed, I want them to bleed before I put them into a quilt. I sometime pink the cut edges. Sometimes I'm too lazy to do that. I dry them completely and then use Mary Ellen's Best Press (starch alternative) and iron it.

Bev
    I take them out of the dryer while still fairly damp, then iron. If they get a little too dry in spots I spray them with a mist of water. I don't have a problem with serious wrinkles except for flannels. I never get all of the wrinkles out of them.
    Oh, I forgot, put your dryer temp on low heat.
    Sorry about the allergy to the chemicals. Formaldehyde is a beast! But it CAN be washed out. It just takes a little doing.
    Good luck! 8-)

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybe1day
    It certainly is surprising that with so many people becoming affected by the processes that are used to treat fabric that more isn't being done about it, particularly as some of these processes are known to be very toxic. Maybe in the scope of things the number of affected people is quite low per head of population and that is why not?

I couldn't think of anything worse than being allergic to fabric :shock:
    But think of the people who buy clothes that have never been washed and have these chemicals in them. There have got to be a lot of people around, non-sewers, who have the allergies too. And some poor little kids too.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear of your allegry... washing the material as you buy would be the best solution than storing and washing only as needed. It was suggested that maybe someone could help you with the washing and that was my thoughts too. I know I would do it for you if I lived near you. What if you wore long sleeves when handling the material, wonder if that would help? Anyway, good luck and I press when material is just damp.. and have ironed when dried completely.. a spray bottle of water helps too!

Well, I have finally finished with the washing of the cottons! Thanks to all of you for your wonderful ideas! I have doublewashed them and can already tell the difference now when I am handling them! It's wonderful!!!
    BTW, I thought, out of curiousity, I would measure as I go....after getting rid of about 200 yards, counting from FQ and up, I have 647 yards of cottons! I have washed my homespuns and still have flannels and denims to do, but don't worry about counting any of those three.

You are the third person that I have heard is allergic to fabric. The other two wash the fabric as soon as they bring it into the house and they are fine. The gal was working in a Fabric store and had a sever allergic reaction and had to get out of the store because she couldn't breathe. Scary stuff...chemicals!!

I am so glad you found something that works for you and you wont have to suffer with the allergies or give up fabric.. heaven forbid.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5