Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've been blessed >

I've been blessed

I've been blessed

Old 04-06-2013, 03:56 PM

Default I've been blessed

Wow, my husbands cousin has been cleaning out her mother's house. Today she brought 4 vintage quilts to me! She found them in the attic. They're in rough shape and are quite dirty but i'm thrilled. One is feedsacks, haven't closely examined two others yet. Heres a pic of the fourth one. Its been thru two soakings and is still wet in this photo. Its a wholecloth..the front appears to have been rose and cream color. The back is the brown check. These have been in the attic at least 70 years. Anyone have any ideas on the age of this one? The floral front looks to me like many civil war repros ...could it be a CW era quilt? Oh i hope so! Please help me figure out an approximate age. Remember, its wet in this pic!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 PM

Sorry I have no idea on age, but it is beautiful fabric.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 PM

I was given a quilt that my grandmother made in the 50's and it is made of "real" feed sacks that they saved from the feed they purchased, quilted with the string that they got wrapped around the meat packages that they got from the company store. Also, the quilt batting is actual cotton balls that my grandmother and my mother picked in the North Carolina cotton fields. I have tenderly fixed several blocks and the quilting string. I was told never to wash it so I have rinsed it in cold water and laid it on the grass in the sun in my backyard and it has turned out really well. So, if it is that old, and if it is lumpy, it may be batted with real cotton balls.

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 04-06-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'm doubting that the quilt in the picture is of mid 1800 fabrics because I'd venture that cottons of that era would likely be dry rotted from being stored in an non-insulated attic for so many years. The print could be from the early 1900s, too, but that also is quite old and could be damaged from being stored so long.

So, the fact the quilt didn't disintegrate makes me think it's younger than it appears.

Jan in VA