Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've been frustrated as well... >

I've been frustrated as well...

I've been frustrated as well...

Old 06-22-2009, 06:04 AM

I have had those days. I just go to something else I'm working on.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes you need to take a day away from it all, and then when you go back, things fall into place. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 AM

So sorry you are having a frustrating day. Those are normally the days I clean house. :thumbdown:

After fighting with some of these same problems on my first 2 quilts, I did go ahead and spend the bucks for a 1/4 inch foot for my machine. I can't believe how much of a difference it made, and I have kicked myself for not buying it sooner.

Also, I have to keep telling myself that quilting is not a fast project. I am not gonna get it finished today, or tomorrow, or this month, and that is ok! I do it because I enjoy the process, not because I want to have the quilt finished. The finished quilt is just the icing on the cake.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Have you been using a fabric that has noticeably more give across the fabric than along the fabric? Most have some give, but some more loosly woven ones are very hard to work with. If your fabric is like this, try starching it until firm so that it is more controlable.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

I have days like that too. Sometimes I need to take some time away from it all and it's better when I come back.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a GO machine, so don't know if this might be a factor or not -

I've noticed that when I cut something out with my ruler, it's usually a teensy bit larger than the ruler - say I'm cutting a 4 inch wide strip, it's actually 4 1/32 inches (or less) - Say I have four "4" inch pieces - 6 (edges - 3 seams) x 1/32 is 6/32 which is 3/8 of an inch.

If this machine cuts an EXACT size, and you are still sewing with the seams you have been using, that might be a factor in why your blocks are ending up small.

Just a thought - - -

Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I always thought I was the only one who could not get a block to be 12 1/2 inches. Mine come up short as well. It does not really matter since I am doing all the blocks, but I never could join in on a round robin or stuff like that.

I usually take a nice break even when things are going well. I am 3/5 of the way finished with my blue log cabin. Oh my, it is looking good. But I am not in a hurry (Jim's Christmas present) so why try to get it done in a day? 3 rows done and 2 rows to go.

Play a computer game, read a while or watch television. Then take a deep breath (as someone else said) and go back in there.