Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've got something on my mind >

I've got something on my mind

I've got something on my mind

Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I've used it and I nearly always hand quilt - no problem! And if someone said that to me - I do it ON PURPOSE just to prove them wrong! Never say never! I agree that it's so stable it's like a blanket - hardly distorts at all. And gives a lovely, soft antiquey finish to the quilt.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 AM

Like you, Cathe, I use a finger cot to help pull the needle through. Our quilt group used mostly Warm and Natural. Quilt police, be gone!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM

I'm wondering what the demonstrator was demonstrating? Another type of batting? I've hand quilted with it and thought it was fine.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I only hand quilt and I only use Warm and Natural. I have no trouble with the needle, I use a #12 or #10. I also use a little rubber pullie thingy!

I love the finished feel and the softness and the old fashioned look and can't imagine what that woman was talking about! It washes up so well and soft!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:34 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I only hand quilt and I only use Warm and Natural. I have no trouble with the needle, I use a #12 or #10. I also use a little rubber pullie thingy!

I love the finished feel and the softness and the old fashioned look and can't imagine what that woman was talking about! It washes up so well and soft!
And I'm more inclined to listen to YOU, Ninnie - hand quilter extraordinaire! :D
Old 06-25-2009, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I heard a demonstrator telling some ladies that they should never try to hand quilt using Warm and Natural batting.... I feel I should have said something to her.
Any speaker who has the ability to influence the thinking of others on any subject because of their knowledge, experience or circumstance, should know never to say never. If she had simply said it is better not to do such-and-such and this is the reason why, you would not have been upset and this reaction, which is the exact opposite of what the demonstrator wanted, would never have happened. She shot herself in the foot just by saying never.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 AM

I hand quilt and use w&n. Did she give a reason for her statement?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Could she just have been talking about beginners learning to hand quilt for the first time? As in "a beginner should never use warm and natural (for the first project)"

Because when I teach hand quilting classes, I do have the students use a thin poly batting for their learning piece. I like to make it as easy as possible for them when they are learning.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 AM

I also use warm and natural on everything!:)I'm sure their point is it is easier to get that needle thru w/that poly stuff...can't remember what it is called. But I don't like the feel of the poly batting when the quilt is done. The warm and natural just have such a great feeling to it when the quilts are done either by machine or hand. Besides....You should have stopped and shown these gals your biceps and told them you don't have a problem getting that needle thru:)LOL Now, that would have been a great camera moment!LOL Skeat
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
Could she just have been talking about beginners learning to hand quilt for the first time? As in "a beginner should never use warm and natural (for the first project)"

Because when I teach hand quilting classes, I do have the students use a thin poly batting for their learning piece. I like to make it as easy as possible for them when they are learning.
Great point Cathe!:)I hadn't even thought of that! And, yes, my first one was on that poly batting ...SKeat