Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I've got something on my mind

About a month ago my sis and I went to a quilt show in Fort Smith. I heard a demonstrator telling some ladies that they should never try to hand quilt using Warm and Natural batting. I think about this often and now I just have to say it out loud. I use ONLY Warm and Natural and I ONLY hand quilt. Sure, sometimes it is a little tough to get the needle through, when you are near the seams, but that is what the little rubber pullers are for. Have you ever used this batting? Do you hand quilt like I do? I feel I should have said something to her.

I too, only use Warm and Natural. I don't hand quilt, but have never heard of what you are saying the lady said. I've gone to many quilt shops and have seen that the only batting they sold was Warm and Natural. Now, I'm sure they have hand quilters there, so they would buy that batting, right?
    I say use what you like.

Blog Entries
    Here is an update on the Warm and Natural site:

http://www.warmcompany.com/wnpage.html

That was interesting. I thought it was great to begin with. I have always liked the fact that you can "work" with it without it pulling apart. It is almost like a blanket.

Blog Entries
    Years ago I tried hand quilting with Warm 'n' Natural. It was very difficult for me, perhaps because I had been "spoiled" by hand quilting through easier battings. It's good to hear they have since improved it; I'm sure hand quilting with it now is much easier than in the old days when I tried it.

However, one thing they haven't changed is the scrim. That's what makes WnN so stable. It is always going to be more difficult to quilt through a scrim than with a batting that does not have a scrim. I haven't hand quilted in ages but I'm sure that when I take it up again I will make sure the batting doesn't have a scrim. I want my quilting to be as easy as possible on my hands and wrists.

I hand quilt with Warm and Natural and always have. Yes, I do think it is a little more difficult than other batt, but I don't like polyester batt. I think silk batt would probably be the best but am sure it is out of my price rainge. Besides, it is choices we make, everyone to his own. No quilt police here. Marge

We have hand quilted with it here at church with the seniours and after the initial getting used to it, we are fine with it. Interesting that people offer their opinions and we take it as gospel. I listen to what others say, and let it go if it doesn't fit with what I KNOW! Too bad for those who have no previous experience with something and take another's word for truth! I am too stubborn to listen to others most of the time, and I can't remember most of it eather. I am blessed.

It's easier if you prewash it.

I use a finger cot on my forefinger to help me grab the needle, so I don't have to stop to pick up that rubber puller thing.

Blog Entries
    I use it all the time & I hand quilt. Never heard of that.

Blog Entries
    I love warm and natural batting, I do not hand quilt, but have hand stitched some bindings and thought the needle went through it very nicely. I tend to march to the beat of my own drummer....right pass the quilt police :lol: I say to each their own 8) 8) 8)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I've used it and I nearly always hand quilt - no problem! And if someone said that to me - I do it ON PURPOSE just to prove them wrong! Never say never! I agree that it's so stable it's like a blanket - hardly distorts at all. And gives a lovely, soft antiquey finish to the quilt.

Like you, Cathe, I use a finger cot to help pull the needle through. Our quilt group used mostly Warm and Natural. Quilt police, be gone!

I'm wondering what the demonstrator was demonstrating? Another type of batting? I've hand quilted with it and thought it was fine.

I only hand quilt and I only use Warm and Natural. I have no trouble with the needle, I use a #12 or #10. I also use a little rubber pullie thingy!

I love the finished feel and the softness and the old fashioned look and can't imagine what that woman was talking about! It washes up so well and soft!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I only hand quilt and I only use Warm and Natural. I have no trouble with the needle, I use a #12 or #10. I also use a little rubber pullie thingy!

I love the finished feel and the softness and the old fashioned look and can't imagine what that woman was talking about! It washes up so well and soft!
    And I'm more inclined to listen to YOU, Ninnie - hand quilter extraordinaire! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    I heard a demonstrator telling some ladies that they should never try to hand quilt using Warm and Natural batting.... I feel I should have said something to her.
    Any speaker who has the ability to influence the thinking of others on any subject because of their knowledge, experience or circumstance, should know never to say never. If she had simply said it is better not to do such-and-such and this is the reason why, you would not have been upset and this reaction, which is the exact opposite of what the demonstrator wanted, would never have happened. She shot herself in the foot just by saying never.

I hand quilt and use w&n. Did she give a reason for her statement?

Could she just have been talking about beginners learning to hand quilt for the first time? As in "a beginner should never use warm and natural (for the first project)"

Because when I teach hand quilting classes, I do have the students use a thin poly batting for their learning piece. I like to make it as easy as possible for them when they are learning.

I also use warm and natural on everything!:)I'm sure their point is it is easier to get that needle thru w/that poly stuff...can't remember what it is called. But I don't like the feel of the poly batting when the quilt is done. The warm and natural just have such a great feeling to it when the quilts are done either by machine or hand. Besides....You should have stopped and shown these gals your biceps and told them you don't have a problem getting that needle thru:)LOL Now, that would have been a great camera moment!LOL Skeat

Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    Could she just have been talking about beginners learning to hand quilt for the first time? As in "a beginner should never use warm and natural (for the first project)"

Because when I teach hand quilting classes, I do have the students use a thin poly batting for their learning piece. I like to make it as easy as possible for them when they are learning.
    Great point Cathe!:)I hadn't even thought of that! And, yes, my first one was on that poly batting ...SKeat

I only use Warm and Natural for machine and hand quilting. I love it! The only problems I have ever had were when 1) I had the quilt sandwich in the quilt frame too tightly and 2) I had too many stitches on the needle.

I don't hand quilt but I admire those of you who do!

My choice is warm and natural too.

I say to each his own, not everyone likes the same batting, it should be your choice and knowing me, I would have said something.

I hand quilt everything but Linus quilts. I have used every kind of cotton or poly or blend invented in one form or another in the last 40 years. I even have tried the new BAmbo and it is fine also. I prefer the lowest loft possible as it allows for smaller stitches. If I have a problem it is usually because I have the batt upside down. Once I have started to quilt it I just make do. I don't care much for Harriet Hargrave cotton batts because they smell. I don't prewash any batts because I don't do any hand laundry. If it won't go in the machine and dryer forget it.
    Hey I am the person who machine washed my daughter's wedding gown after the bottom foot or so was stained with mud from her outside reception. It came out beautifully.