Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
jackpot of old fabric >

jackpot of old fabric

jackpot of old fabric

Old 05-29-2010, 05:27 AM

I just inherited two 6 foot tall chests full of old material from my grandmother in law. Some dates back to the 50's. I mentioned the fact at a yard sale I am having and have women coming by to purchase some- but have no idea what its worth... Some pieces are faded, small, etc. but quite unique. Any clues on how to handle this dilema???
Old 05-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by salemmm
I just inherited two 6 foot tall chests full of old material from my grandmother in law. Some dates back to the 50's. I mentioned the fact at a yard sale I am having and have women coming by to purchase some- but have no idea what its worth... Some pieces are faded, small, etc. but quite unique. Any clues on how to handle this dilema???
Some questions -

Do you really want to sell this fabric?
If yes, why? (I don't need to know the answer to that - you do)

What does the traffic bear in your area?

Do you want to "make money off it" or "find good homes for it"?

Like many things, "worth" is a value agreed upon between a buyer and a seller.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:49 AM

The woman who inquired is a member of a quilting club here ( I live in a remote town in N. Az. ) I'm sure she would put it to good use- I am a beginner- haven't finished my first quilt yet. If I do sell her some- I don't want to get ripped off underselling a find
Old 05-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I think people tend to think "bargain/inexpensive/cheap" for prices when shopping at garage sales.

Are these fabrics all "quilting type cottons"? These seem to be hot items at garage sales now (at least for me as a shopper)

If you present your fabrics as an opportunity to purchase "unusual, no-longer-available, vintage, or unique" fabrics - rather than "garage sale stuff" - customers might expect to pay more for the items and be willing to do so.

As you may have noticed on the classifieds, fabric is going from being given away - the sender is even paying the postage - to about $10.00 a yard ($2.50 for a fat quarter plus shipping)

You may have noticed photos of "hauls" in the pictures section.

If it was mine, I would save out the pieces I liked - even if I had no plans for them at the time.

I just paid $4.00/yard ($1.00/fat quarter at a garage sale a week ago)

The truly beautiful/unique/good condition fabrics - you could probably get more for them. Haven't quite figured out why, but sometimes folks will buy four fat quarters at $2.50 each and balk at buying a one yard piece for $10.00

I think I would try selling the pieces as yardage first. And then go to the smaller pieces.

If the fabrics are "snobby name brands" - you could maybe start at $6.00 yard and see what happens. It's easier to lower a price than increase it.

The crappy stuff - that could go for $2.00 (or less) a yard.

The really depressing stuff - you could put that in a "free box" - sometimes what one person thinks is undesirable, another person has been looking for.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I realize it's not giving you a "definite" answer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Bearisgray has great advice! I just wanted to say to make sure you keep some! Fabric is so expensive now...and hard to find used stuff! GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 AM

I am one of those people who has to ponder things for a while; if I do anything in haste, I usually regret it. My only suggestion to you would be to hang onto the fabric a while; meanwhile, you'll likely get answers to other questions such as what the fabric is worth ... both as value to you and as sale items.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Just a thought - you may want to check E-bay completed listings for out of print (OOP)fabric. For someone restoring a vintage quilt, you could have a gold mine. I'd love to see some pictures, myself. I have some Dresden blocks from that era that need centers. Not sure what would be a fair price, though.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

Maybe advertise "vintage fabrics" and that might bring in some buyers willing to pay more than the average garage sale buyer.

Check out prices online for similar fabrics.

I would also suggest that you hold some back. You may regret it later if you don't :wink:
Old 05-29-2010, 03:59 PM

I agree with all of the above. Make sure you sort out the things you MIGHT want to use. I would say that the little bits (scraps) should be put in plastic grab baggies and sold for $2-5. Quarter yards - $ $2, Half yards - $5, etc. Unless you've done the homework and know to charge more for special pieces. Photograph stuff and put it on-line ( ETSY, Artfire are suggestions.) And when you have some left send it to me!