Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Jan/Feb Love of Quilting >
  • Jan/Feb Love of Quilting

• Jan/Feb Love of Quilting

Old 12-16-2008, 03:46 PM

Did anyone else get their new issue yet? There are a couple Valentine quilts that look fun but the yardages look like way to much. "I Wooley Love Eye" is a 44X44 quilt and it calls for 3yards of backing fabric and a twin size batting. How could it possibly need that much?

Another one is "Stars of My Heart". Its 59X81 and calls for 5 yards of backing fabric.

I'm afraid if I go buy the fabrics amounts listed I'll have a lot extra. I'm also trying to use my stash but will really have to do some calculating to see if I have enough of what I need.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    Old 12-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Maybe you could ring up the magazine to confirm the yardage ? They may have made a mistake an be grateful for the call ?
    Katherine
    Old 12-16-2008, 03:48 PM

I havn't seen the magazine yet but they are probably having you piece the backing with only 2 pieces or so. You can always piece your backs with smaller pieces, just join them together to the size you need. Back don't need to be all the same fabric also. You can use several different ones if you want to use fabs from your stash. Just piece them together to the size needed.
    Old 12-16-2008, 03:51 PM

I have not received my issue yet. They sure sound like cute projects.
    Old 12-16-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by collettakay
    "I Wooley Love Eye" is a 44X44 quilt and it calls for 3yards of backing fabric and a twin size batting. How could it possibly need that much?

Another one is "Stars of My Heart". Its 59X81 and calls for 5 yards of backing fabric.

Those sounds screwy to me too - even with trapunto techniques, I can't fathom buying a twin batting for 44 inches. Is the back done in some directional print, which would require cutting lengthwise, like some border fabrics? Definately contact them before you go ahead.
    Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by collettakay
    Did anyone else get their new issue yet? There are a couple Valentine quilts that look fun but the yardages look like way to much. "I Wooley Love Eye" is a 44X44 quilt and it calls for 3yards of backing fabric and a twin size batting. How could it possibly need that much?

I'm afraid if I go buy the fabrics amounts listed I'll have a lot extra. I'm also trying to use my stash but will really have to do some calculating to see if I have enough of what I need.

I got my issue today and was thinking the same thing. Do you think they made a mistake?
    Old 12-16-2008, 07:28 PM

I won't get my issue until almost the end of Feb. No clue why I get it that late, guess they pay the CHEAP mailing for it.

Sorry, can't help you on this one
    Old 12-17-2008, 12:55 AM

sometimes you maybe able to go on line and check it out they do print corrections on there and you would be surprised at how many mistakes there are.....get the chance check it out...
    Old 12-17-2008, 02:32 AM

I dont have the magazine, but somehow it doesn't seem off to me. I have a feeling, that their backing yardages are not for wide backing fabric, but for regular 42" wide fabric, and so the yardages would be the right amount for a 42" wide with a seam down the middle. Also for the batting, a lot of people buy their batting packaged instead of off of a roll, so maybe they mean buy a twin size package as compared to not buying queen sixe??? Just some ideas
    Old 12-17-2008, 05:27 AM

They are using two lengths of fabric for both quilts. You could use the extra on the sides for the binding or for borders on the front. It is never a waste, you can always use the lengths in another quilt.