Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jane A. Stickle (Dear Jane) Quilt >

Jane A. Stickle (Dear Jane) Quilt

Jane A. Stickle (Dear Jane) Quilt

Old 06-25-2023, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Default Jane A. Stickle (Dear Jane) Quilt

Are any of you still working on your own version of this quilt?

Old 06-25-2023, 05:39 AM

I've thought about it a few times as it would use up a lot of my smaller scraps for many of the blocks. But I've actually talked myself out of it due to the number of blocks it takes to complete. Have made quilts for my entire family including myself, and now I've come to the conclusiion that I'd rather make smaller quilts for Project Linus as that is what really puts a smile on my face.
Old 06-25-2023, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I bought the software.
I printed out the blocks.
This was at least a decade ago.
I admire DJ quilts online and at quilt shows.
But I haven't started yet. My main stumbling block is deciding what color scheme/fabrics to use. I know it will be a challenge, but getting started seems to be the hardest part.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Yes ... the leftover blocks are awaiting my decision as to what my version will be for them. Keep changing my mind!

The finished one ... Diverted from the traditional DJ, and is now known as "Jane Sings The Blues"! All blocks were made with a constant white, with a different blue for each block. Layout used QSTs made from a constant deep royal blender and the constant white, which gave the effect of an on-point layout, when put together. The white and royal constants were the borders/bindings. That layout meant I didn't need all the blocks I had made. Also, had done some of my favourite blocks that DJ did not have, including some maple leaf and embroidery blocks.

The leftovers will become a sister quilt, currently known as "Jane Sings The Blues ... Again!". Only problem is that I keep changing my mind as to what layout version I will do. This is where I wish I had a computerized program to test different layout ideas. Regardless, V2 will be similar/compatible, but have its own unique twist to V1. Kind of like IRL-sisters do!

For those thinking and waiting and not getting at it. It's really not that hard to do it. Just start! When I did my first quilt (12" sampler blocks), I went with the attitude ... one block would give me a vase mat. 2 or 3 a table runner. A few more would be a baby quilt. More a throw ... and onwards. Well, I got hooked, and next thing, I had enough for a king quilt .... and leftover blocks that made a sister quilt with more leftovers for another sister quilt, as well as a wedding gift quilt!

So yes, you too can do a DJ ...... don't let her intimidate you!!!

Those DJ-V2 leftovers keep calling to me. Life got in the way, but they have been good as they kept me thinking of them as an easy-to-complete project, once I get life out of the way and can get back to stitching!
Old 06-25-2023, 09:12 AM

After sewing the Harriet's Journey blocks, I decided 6 1/2" was as small as I wanted to go. But it is always impressive seeing someone's Dear Jane!
Old 06-25-2023, 11:34 AM

I have often admired the quilt, but didn't see myself doing it. Then I saw I version done in modern colors. I wish I'd saved a link to the picture, but I didn't.

It really changed the look, and I absolutely loved it. However, my WIPS and UFO's are many, as is my "want to do" list. Small blocks are totally doable. I highly recommend starching fabrics, reducing stitch size, and working slowly.
Old 06-25-2023, 12:40 PM

My DD gave me the book for Xmas one year. I did 17 blocks and lost interest. A member here was looking for the book. So, it was sent on it’s way to see if someone would follow thru with completing all blocks Those that I did are still waiting to be put together somehow
Old 06-25-2023, 04:59 PM

I finished the Harriet's Journey but did not do all of the blocks. I have about 80 of the Farmer's Wife quilt blocks finished waiting for me to finish up . So, no I am not about to start the DJ. In my dream, perhaps. Tee-Hee-Hee!

For the rest of you, sew on and on and on until you finish this challenging piece of exquisite beauty.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:35 AM

Having caught the DJ wave some years ago and made a few versions, I've been working on a new DJ off and on since January. I love those little blocks! Mine has a variety of black on white prints for the background and modern bright colors for the focus fabrics. I work on a row for a week or so and then set it aside for a while. I've finished the first three rows and a miscellaneous bunch of other blocks. It will probably take me a few years to finish, but that's OK.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:24 AM

I glommed onto the DJ quilt in the late 90's as an exercise in applique, so many of the blocks can be converted to that technique. I also foundation paper pieced and machine pieced blocks. I kitted up the applique blocks and always had them with me, it took 3 months to piece and make the top. 2 years to finish hand quilting, I used gold metallic thread.
Mine is double sided and is in the DJ software, Two sides of Jane. It was also chosen for display at the Quilt Museum in LaConner Washington.

Loved the journey, and it made me a 100% better quilt maker, teaching me precision, patience, and quality control
I gave the book and templates to someone here on the board, I hope they are making the quilt too.
edited to add: Bear, how is your shoulder healing?