Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Janome 6600 is stitching funny

Janome 6600 is stitching funny

Today hasn't been one of my better days at the machine! Mistake after mistake....and now this crazy machine is sewing like my brain has been working....crazy! It seems to sew fine, can't see anything while it stitches. But when it is done and I look at the stitch line, it looks like it is stitching in a slight angle and about every 7-8 stitches it jogs just a bit. I have never seen it do this before and have no idea what to look for to fix. Anyone else out there had this issue? Help me! I have too much sewing to get done before Christmas to take it in for a visit at the repairman.

Here is a sample of what it is doing
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW, I have never seen a DSM do this before. When did you last have it in for servicing?
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

You might have a problem with one of the gears. Sorry, no way to fix it yourself.
    You'll have to take it to the repairman. Maybe you can get a loaner while yours
    is in the shop.

Call your dealer. That doesn't look right at all. Good luck.

Before taking it in for repair, I would change the needle, change the bobbin, and give the machine a good cleaning. Hope you are able to get it sewing properly, since you are busy getting ready for Christmas!

What kind of fabric are you sewing on (the grey)? From the picture, it looks thicker than quilting cotton. Are you using the right size needle? It looks like the sewing thread is jumping over the woven threads from left to right of the weave. The edge does not look like it was cut perfectly straight (which is no big deal) but if it is a coarse weave and you are trying to stay so many inches away to make the straight lines, that might be why the stitch is jumping a thread. The needle is not piercing the thread, it is going over it to the next side. That is what the problem looks like to me from the picture. Are you using a ball needle?

It's just because of the grain of your fabric. You can see that when the stitching crosses over the grain line, is when the jog happens.
    Annette in Utah

on the front of your machine there is a stitch balance adjusting screw I spent 80 dollars to have the repairman turn that screw about 14 inch. play with it turning one way or the other to see if it helps
    Nancy

Mine does something like that if I forget to thread it thru those two things that stick up in the back!

The stitch balance only works with stitches that have forward/backwards movements.

If you keep the machine just as it is, and sew on a regular cotton fabric, it should be just fine. I see this all the time. The finer the fabric, the straighter the line.
    Annette in Utah

I agree with changing the needle, removing the bobbin, and totally rethreading the machine. I would even shut it off and start again on a scrap of fabric. My old machine usually corrects itself with this method. Do need the pro servicing occasionally too. I take it in at about 2 yr. intervals. Good luck! Not a good time to be without your sewing machine.

I am quite certain it isn't the fabric causing the problem....I have sewn with this weight of fabric frequently and no issues. I did a bit of playing around and under closer examination while sewing, I can actually see the entire needle/shank assembly jump to the right. It is almost as if something isn't quite tight enough in there. Headed to the sewing machine repairman with a sample this morning to see if he can help me without a service call right now.

Let us know what the doctor has to say about the patient!! I have that same machine and I like to hear about other people's experiences. I have never had trouble but my day may be coming

Blog Entries
    I just had to purchase a new bobbin case this summer for my 6600 as I had worn it out... will be curious to know what your repairman has to say after examining your machine.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Have you tried stitching on a different fabric.....if that is straight, then you have the wrong needle for your thread/fabric.

Blog Entries
    You could be right great eyes. You can see at the cut edge the grain is not straight.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Stopped by repairman with the scrap to show him....he said to take off the walking foot and try with a regular foot and if that didn't work to bring it in.....I did and it didn't.....so today I have to take her in.....and like I said earlier, it had nothing to do with the fabric (I didn't pay $1500 for a machine that can't sewn a straight seam through quilting cotton!)

Could this be a very long zig zag? Since there is a pattern to the "jog" you might try resetting the stitch length and style and also the cleaning, etc. that yngldy suggested. I wouldn't take it to the dealer yet as I think this can be remedied if you reset everything. Give that a try and please let us know the result. I have a Brother and they are very similar if not basically the same and often resetting works.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

I have a BL....and recently was doing a blanket stitch, and suddenly it went crazy...took it in after trying all I could do....and it went crazier for the dealer...she had to call someone via phone and was told some secret..she went on the screen into the brain of the computer...punched some formula...started it....it stitched some strange circle by itself...then she picked a stitch on screen and perfect!!!!!! Had something to do with internal settings that only the techies can fix!!!!!! Maybe yours did the same...

My go to is changing my needle and rethreading my bobbin. Sometimes if your bobbin isn't wound properly, it can be troublesome.