Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Janome 8900 QCP

Janome 8900 QCP

I am new to quilting - considering buying a Janome 8900QCP - would love to get any information anyone can share on positives as well as negatives on this machine. Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

I upgraded to this machine about 2 years ago. I love everything about it. Don't even use a fraction of the stitches, but the large throat is awesome for quilting. I started out with a Janome New Home basic model, so this machine just blew that one out of the water. I would definitely recommend :-)

I bought mine two years ago. I love it. It has many decorative stitches. It does a wonderful job when I FMQ with it. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the quick response! This machine seems to do all (or more) than I need but don't want to buy something less than I might want in the next few years. Appreciate your input!

Thanks so much for your quick response!

Blog Entries
    I found a number of user reviews for the Janome 8900 QCP on the patternreview.com website. It won't link the results, but you can re-create them by going to www.patternreview.com . Select "sewing machines" from the righthand search box, click on the search button, and it will bring you to a search page. Choose Janome brand from the drop-down window, and put 8900 qcp in the "model number" field. It will bring up about a dozen reviews for me. One nice thing about patternreview is that the reviews often indicate what the user paid for the machine. That can give you some bargaining power when you go to buy. it is helpful to pay attention to the posting date too, and how long the reviewer has used the machine.

I bought a Janome 8900 a couple of months ago and I just love it! Especially for the free motion quilting, which I'm just learning.

I have one about three years old I think. I bought it as a reward to myself for moving north and caring for my father in law for three years. I deserved it!

I would say 100% yes on the purchase...if you absolutely think you'll get use out of many of the embroidery stitches. For less money you can get one of their machines with smaller emb options that is still considered top of the line. .

And keep in mind computerized machines don't last forever, eventually the software won't be supported. That is true of all computerized machines though. If you aren't sure spend lots of time using all different brands of machines...and save up for it Good luck, let us know what you come up with.

I have the 8200 and I love it. It doesn't have the embroidery capability. If you don't care about embroidery, I recommend the 8200.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    i love my 8900.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Blog Entries
    Love my 8900

Blog Entries
    I love my 8900. I've upgraded from the 6600 and the 7700...and happily so.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

I love my 8900 as well. I love the large throat. It doesn't do embroidery, which is fine with me. I went from a Viking D1 to a Pfaff to the 8900 and I am very happy now. She is a workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    I have the 8200 and I love it. It doesn't have the embroidery capability. If you don't care about embroidery, I recommend the 8200.
    Same here.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I've had mine for three years and never been sorry. I quilt a lot and it pieces beautifully, free motion is a breeze and walking foot works well. The walking foot has 4 different feet that attach - 1/4", stitch in the ditch, wide toe, and regular. The regular comes with it and the other three are extra purchases. It comes with 3 free motion feet. It doesn't do embroidery and I think the main difference between the 8200 and the 8900 is the number of stitches but I'm not sure. The wide throat is the best! It was also very affordable given the price of some other brands. I don't think you'll be sorry if you go ahead. They do have a new model out 9500 (I think) so you might want to look at that one too as it is the latest and greatest in this line.

Blog Entries
    I am a Janome believer...I started out with a 6600 then purchased the 8900 two years ago. I have since purchased a Bernina and was going to sell my 8900 but have not been able to part with it. They have come out with the 9400 with better lighting and a third stitch plate but you'd probably be very happy with the 8900 and might get a better price.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have the 6600 and love it. It has a 9" throat and even that is great for FMQ.

I'm very happy to report that my sweet hubby bought me the 8900QCP and I'm going to pick it up next Saturday - you know that will be a long week with the anticipation! Thanks for all the good recommendations! Now maybe I can learn to quilt!

I have the 8900 and really like it. My only gripe (and it's a small one) is the even feed foot doesn't come with a guide so I can quilt lines two or three inches apart without marking the quilt. I understand Janome does have one with a guide that fits the 8900, but it's around $80.00 -- way too pricey for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    I didn't think the 8900 QCP had embroidery capability's. But maybe I am wrong.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Love my 8900 but it does not have embroidery option

I don't have that particular model, but I do have a Janome that I use for taking to club meetings and retreats. Love it! It is a little work horse!

Quote Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
    I love my 8900 as well. I love the large throat. It doesn't do embroidery, which is fine with me. I went from a Viking D1 to a Pfaff to the 8900 and I am very happy now. She is a workhorse.
    I think we are talking about two different types of embroidery. You must be thinking of the type that makes pictures? I'm referring to the line emberoidery like cross stitch and serpintine of which there are 250-ish.
    Speaking for myself, in three years all I've used is the zigzag Why pay for the extras when the basic most often used would be included with any modern machine?