Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome convertible quilting feet >

Janome convertible quilting feet

Janome convertible quilting feet

Old 03-28-2022, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
I’m curious to know what foot you are using right now. I’m not familiar with your machine so can’t comment but as others have mentioned a foot that floats is better to learn on than one that hops. As to your attempts at fmq …not feeble at all. We learn by doing and we often learn more when we mess up.

I wish I lived on Vancouver Island. Got a spare room? I’ll share my convertible foot. 😂😂
I am currently using one of the ones that came with my little machine that hops up and down and as I am just learning to quilt period let alone doing fmq, I need all the help I can get. My machine is a very basic mechanical model, but has been fine till now. I am looking forward to learning lots on here.
Sadly no extra bedroom, it started out fine, then it got used to put stuff with no home, and is currently auditioning for an episode of "Hoarders" ;-) I went to college in Alberta, I feel your pain. I couldn't wait to get back to the Island.
Kim

Old 03-28-2022, 07:44 PM

I have a very similar looking ruler foot version of this which is a Juki 40165363. Google it and you can see a picture and it will list all the machines it will fit. It also has the tension spring that you can adjust depending upon the thickness of the batting you are using, which is handy. I use it on my brother Pq1500 and it is a great ruler foot. However, if I have a quilt that has a lot of piecing like a pinwheel where you have a bulky seam it will not go over it without some persuasion. I find a hopping foot works better to “hop” up on and over those bulky seams. So you may find you need both types of foot. A hopping one and a gliding one.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:28 AM

I pieced and quilted solely on my Janome Magnolia 7318 for many years before I lucked into a used Janome 7700 which came with the convertible FMQ foot. On my 7318, I use a generic walking foot, hopping foot, and ruler foot and they all work great. I actually much prefer the hopping foot on both machines because I find the stitches to form more consistently. I bought a generic hopping foot for my 7700 after I used the convertible foot. Right now, I only use the convertible when I'm ruler quilting with the additional ruler foot attachment.

The generic ruler foot is a single solid piece foot that glides over the quilt sandwich if that's what you're looking for. It's thicker than a "regular" gliding foot because it needs to be thick to butt up against the ruler but it functions the same. On mine, you just change the height by loosening the presser foot screw and re-tightening it. It's still easy though maybe not quite as easy as the little dial on the convertible foot. It was also only about $12 though so that's a big difference in price

The gliding feet definitely have trouble if you set it too high (stitches won't form) or even if it's at just the right height for stitches to form, you may have trouble navigating over any thicker seam intersections. I do a lot of paper piecing lately so thick seam intersections is a thing for me.

Anyway.... all that to say that generic feet are totally fine especially for a cheaper machine! I prefer the consistent stitches I get with the hopping foot and I can see through/around it better, but a ruler/gliding foot does have its uses too.

eta: If you are marking your quilt with a Pounce, the gliding foot is likely better because the hopping action can bounce the powder off and you'll lose your lines. Had that happen even after setting the lines with hairspray.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:42 AM

I use the Janome convertible foot with the ruler foot attachment on my Brother PQ1500s- but that is a high shank machine. You need to make sure that your machine is compatible with the foot. If your machine is low shank, the high shank convertible foot will not work on it.

Rob
Old 10-08-2022, 05:43 PM

I have this foot for my Janome MC6700P. I just took a break from FMQ to look up something on here. There’s a gear on the top of the spring. Depending on which way you turn it the foot will raise or lower. I set mine to where the foot hovers over the fabric. It basically gives you more control to raise the foot beyond the pressor foot knob. Hope this helps. I have no problem using it for FMQ. I bought a ruler foot to use with it too, works great!