Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome convertible quilting feet >

Janome convertible quilting feet

Janome convertible quilting feet

Old 03-27-2022, 10:28 AM

Question Janome convertible quilting feet

Good morning
I am new to quilting and have made 3 little lap size that I am using as learning lessons on how to do this. Youtube is my guide, what I read online and in books, oh and asking friends.
My question is regarding the use of a Janome Convertable quilting foot with my machine a Janome SUV1122, just a very basic little machine. I saw on one of the YouTubes by Amy that she uses it and likes that it is a smoother experience. I am just teaching myself (with many works being muttered) to free motion quilt. I am anticipating doing both FMQ and ruler work, so would also get a ruler foot to go with it. Can anyone tell me what their experience is using it on one of the lower valued machines? Will it help me, or make a difference? Thanks for any advice I can get.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:34 PM

Call a Janome dealer and ask about compatibility with your machine model.
I have found Kenssewing.com to be helpful in the past.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:05 PM

The Janome webpage for the convertible quilting foot lists which models it works with: Janome Convertible Quilting Set
Old 03-27-2022, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Shepherdess55 View Post
The Janome webpage for the convertible quilting foot lists which models it works with: Janome Convertible Quilting Set
I do know which foot, but was looking more for someone's actual experience with using one. I will try at my local Janome, but so far they are leaving me far from impressed. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by kimmcamp View Post
I do know which foot, but was looking more for someone's actual experience with using one. I will try at my local Janome, but so far they are leaving me far from impressed. Thank you.
I have this foot that I use on my Janome 6700p. It came with the machine. It has the advantage that you can adjust the height of the foot. Because it floats/ hovers over the quilt as you fmq it is helpful to be able to adjust it depending on the make up of your quilt sandwich. I use a different foot on my 9400 that is clear plastic but also hovers. I prefer them to the hopping foot but can’t honestly say the convertible foot is any better than the foot I use on 9400. I think the appeal to the convertible foot is that it floats as opposed to hops and that it has different attachments.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
I have this foot that I use on my Janome 6700p. It came with the machine. It has the advantage that you can adjust the height of the foot. Because it floats/ hovers over the quilt as you fmq it is helpful to be able to adjust it depending on the make up of your quilt sandwich. I use a different foot on my 9400 that is clear plastic but also hovers. I prefer them to the hopping foot but can’t honestly say the convertible foot is any better than the foot I use on 9400. I think the appeal to the convertible foot is that it floats as opposed to hops and that it has different attachments.
Thank you, that was what I was wondering. I just have my one machine but there is lots of hopping in my so far feeble attempts to FMQ.
From Vancouver Island, Can
Old 03-27-2022, 06:52 PM
mkc

Thank you, that was what I was wondering. I just have my one machine but there is lots of hopping in my so far feeble attempts to FMQ.
If the convertible one for your SUV1122 is not just a darning assembly (hopping foot), but actually takes out the "hop" and lets the foot float, it will be easier than a hopping foot. If you want to do ruler work, non-hopping is essential.

Many years ago, Leah Day had a tutorial on "modifying" a hopping foot (I think she used a rubber band and a small stick) to keep a hopping foot from hopping. Here's a link "Break your darning foot"

I would say if the Janome option doesn't hop (which it looks like it doesn't - I just googled the p/n Janome lists on their website for your machine), it will be easier to FMQ with than even "breaking your darning foot".

Michelle
Old 03-27-2022, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
If the convertible one for your SUV1122 is not just a darning assembly (hopping foot), but actually takes out the "hop" and lets the foot float, it will be easier than a hopping foot. If you want to do ruler work, non-hopping is essential.

Many years ago, Leah Day had a tutorial on "modifying" a hopping foot (I think she used a rubber band and a small stick) to keep a hopping foot from hopping. Here's a link "Break your darning foot"

I would say if the Janome option doesn't hop (which it looks like it doesn't - I just googled the p/n Janome lists on their website for your machine), it will be easier to FMQ with than even "breaking your darning foot".

Michelle
Thank you too! This is the kind of feedback either for or against it. So far it is looking like a whole lot cheaper than buying a bigger and 'better' machine. It does look pretty slick to me, but I know basically nothing.
Kim
Old 03-27-2022, 08:04 PM

I’m curious to know what foot you are using right now. I’m not familiar with your machine so can’t comment but as others have mentioned a foot that floats is better to learn on than one that hops. As to your attempts at fmq …not feeble at all. We learn by doing and we often learn more when we mess up.

I wish I lived on Vancouver Island. Got a spare room? I’ll share my convertible foot. 😂😂

Old 03-28-2022, 02:22 AM

I have this set, but have not used it on my MC6500P in ages, so I don't remember what it does. I've been quilting using the 1600P on a small Grace SRII Quilting frame for the last couple of years. Sorry, I'm no help at all. Maybe I should dig the set out and use it again on something small.