Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18

Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18

I am checking out the Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18.
    It just came out and am looking for some information

Blog Entries
    Is this what you are looking at? http://janome.com/qmp18 . If it just came out, you may not be able to find user feedback about it. Are you in the market for a frame quilting machine? If so, I am wondering why you would be interested in something that just came out versus the many tried-and-true setups that have been on the market for awhile.

Banned
    Looks like an HQ Avante to me. I know the frame is the same one I have for my Avante.

Cari

Looks really nice. How much does it go for?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

It goes for about $9K
    I really like my Janome 8900 which is why I am checking out this longarm!

Blog Entries
    If Janome has not made longarms before, I would go with something else. I know Bernina had issues getting into longarms; they made some mistakes that already-established longarm manufacturers did not. Longarms are really different from domestic machines. There is a lot less risk purchasing a longarm that has been around long enough to get lots of user reviews.

To avoid buyer's remorse on a longarm, it is generally recommended to spend a year researching and trying out a wide variety of machines to figure out what you like best in your price range. You can lose a lot of money trying to resell a longarm that you end up not liking.

You might want to join the homequiltingsystems group on groups.yahoo.com for advice. This group is not as active as it used to be, but it's still pretty good.

Banned
    The Janome long arms have been out for about two years.

Cari

It looks wonderful, and very tempting!

One thing that should be considered when purchasing a long arm is the throat size. The link says 9" x 18", but you will Not be able to quilt the full 18 inches of throat depth. I think you would actually get about 14" - 15" of quilt-able space. I have a HQ16 and the widest row I have ever been able to quilt is 12", but only on a baby/toddler quilt. The reason for that is the roller bars you attach the quilt to take up around 4-5" of the throat space,

Having said that, I would love to have 14" of quilt-able space!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-18-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

mkc
    Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    Looks like an HQ Avante to me. I know the frame is the same one I have for my Avante.
    Certainly the machine specs are identical to the Avante. The machine case design is slightly different as is the front handle/display unit, thread spools are at the head rather than the rear, but all that could just be "packaging".

I had looked at the frame photos and couldn't tell if it was the same or not - the front rails look different than the Studio frame (the difference in heights are greater on the Janome frame than the Studio).

If you look at the HQ Stitch machines that came out last year, they appear to be simply rebadged Janomes, so there is likely some collaboration going on between the 2 companies.

Michelle
    Last edited by mkc; 05-22-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Looking at the attachments and some accessories, Janome and HQ have to be working together on these machines. I guess they are going after the "name brand" market for those that are married to a specific brand of machine and won't buy one with a different name on it.

I like that they've now incorporated the front holder to hold the front rail out of the way when loading the quilt. HQ came up with an add on for older frames, and I wondered how long it would be before it was part of the frame.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Thanks for the great information!
    I am planning on also checking out other Long Arms including the HQ

Blog Entries
    I also love my two Janome machines and would love to give the QMP a try...but I am thinking I want more than 18" of throat space when I make a longarm investment.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Definitely go to a large market like Houston. There you can try all the machines you are interested in. Without local pressure. It's as easy as stepping to the other side of the room. Of course local service is important along with classes. I don't think I would purchase from a show, just try it out.

Quilt Maker Pro is made by Handi Quilter.

Janome dealers were selling the Artistic rebadged prior to this.

I thought the babylock had a great machine
    Cindy B from MA

mkc
    Quote Originally Posted by cindynvb View Post
    I thought the babylock had a great machine
    Also made by HandiQuilter. Tiara = sixteen, Crown Jewel = Avante.

I've ordered a sit down 20" Bailey for under $4000.00, although I would prefer to have a frame, I don't have room for one, so a sit down will have to do. Bailey's have been around for quite a number of years, and they're machines have a fairly good reputation, although they're not a "long arm" but that's okay with me, 20" is a long more room than I have now. LOL

I also would be leary of a long arm that hasn't been around long enough to have all the "bugs" worked out.

I went to the Janome Facebook page, where they advertise this to have a look and there are a Lot of complaining people on that page. (Click on the advert for the long arm) Not necessarily about this particular model, but about the fact that there is no main depot for customer service for Janome and they have multiple problems, so they are taking them to the FB page in hopes of getting help. And, I didn't see their messages answered by a Janome rep, while if someone had a normal question about a machine, there was an answer. It's not a good look P.R.-wise, that's for sure. (And, I love mine.)

Watson
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-18-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I set one of these up for a local quilt shop today. The machine seems to be the same as an Avante. I have an HQ Fusion.

Things that are the same:

1) Bobbin Winder is exactly the same there is no difference.
    2) Easy Set Tension, Regulated / Manual mode, Stitch Counter, Bobbin Thread recording etc.. Screen for the Quilt Maker Pro is configured the same as the Sweet Sixteen. I was able to use this without even looking at the manual.
    3) Frame is the same as the Avante standard frame except for the quilt top bar which is lower in the front. The carriage tracks are not a continuous track. They are in 4ft sections and you have to add a coupler between to extend the tracks to 8", and 12" they are like the old style tracks that came with the Avante Frame but these are not plastic.
    4) Ruler base is exactly the same as the New HQ Fusion ruler base, I have this one and it is exactly the same down to the velcro that they give you to adjust it if is wobbles. The instructions are even the same.

If you are going to spend the $10,999.00 that the my local shop is asking I would look at the Avante as the Quilt Maker Pro does not have a computer system yet it is not available at this time. Also I would go with the tried and true machine until they work the bugs out. While testing this machine after I set it up my thread kept breaking on the top when I increased my speed in regulated mode, also if the bobbin was full it kept catching in the backlash inside the bobbin case. I'm quite experienced with setting the bobbin tension it was set correct, once I ripped off thread and lowered it to 3/4 full it stopped catching in the bobbin case.

Hope that helps you decide
    Last edited by c.orlando; 07-17-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Why would a company market a long arm and not invest in dealer training or customer service? Never ceases to amaze me. A company can do more to damage their reputation than help it. People are willing to support a brand name, where is the loyalty back to the customer? It is a big piece of equipment and quilting is achieved in a whole new way. A really good manual would be a starting point and a dealer that knows more than the customer.
    I had a bad experience with Tin Lizzie and had to beg and demand some customer service. I finally was lucky enough to sell the set-up I had (for a big loss) and purchased an Innova. The customer service is priceless and the the quality is so much better. I know not everybody can or wants to spend big $$$, but I personally would check out the used market with some of the established well known companies out there before I'd deal with all of the headaches of poor customer service. I would do what Watson did and try to find fb posts and customer reviews before purchasing a machine that has many problems, even sadly from brands we already know and love.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by c.orlando View Post
    I set one of these up for a local quilt shop today. The machine seems to be the same as an Avante. I have an HQ Fusion.

Things that are the same:

1) Bobbin Winder is exactly the same there is no difference.
    2) Easy Set Tension, Regulated / Manual mode, Stitch Counter, Bobbin Thread recording etc.. Screen for the Quilt Maker Pro is configured the same as the Sweet Sixteen. I was able to use this without even looking at the manual.
    3) Frame is the same as the Avante standard frame except for the quilt top bar which is lower in the front. The carriage tracks are not a continuous track. They are in 4ft sections and you have to add a coupler between to extend the tracks to 8", and 12" they are like the old style tracks that came with the Avante Frame but these are not plastic.
    4) Ruler base is exactly the same as the New HQ Fusion ruler base, I have this one and it is exactly the same down to the velcro that they give you to adjust it if is wobbles. The instructions are even the same.

If you are going to spend the $10,999.00 that the my local shop is asking I would look at the Avante as the Quilt Maker Pro does not have a computer system yet it is not available at this time. Also I would go with the tried and true machine until they work the bugs out. While testing this machine after I set it up my thread kept breaking on the top when I increased my speed in regulated mode, also if the bobbin was full it kept catching in the backlash inside the bobbin case. I'm quite experienced with setting the bobbin tension it was set correct, once I ripped off thread and lowered it to 3/4 full it stopped catching in the bobbin case.

Hope that helps you decide
    agree with this post. If you're gonna spend that kind of money get yourself an HQ Avante. Their customer service is top notch and the machines are too. I bought mine slightly used(only 30,000 stitches) from a dealer at a great price and I love it.

Cari
    I

I'm also looking at the Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18 because I've always loved Janome machines. I've owned them for over 30 years. My first was labeled New Home which was the only label Janome sold under in US at the time. My local repair and Janome sales person in my new neighborhood was showing me the same longarm you're talking about. I've seen Janome's Artistic with the software setup and it's nice but he only has this new one here. Janome makes many machines that are sold under other names such as Elna and Necchi, etc. I'm going to the AQS in Grand Rapids MI next week to look around and I'm hoping to get to try one out and find out more about it.

I'm also looking at the Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18 because I've always loved Janome machines. Did you buy one? If so, do you like it. I've owned them for over 30 years. My first was labeled New Home which was the only label Janome sold under in US at the time. My local repair and Janome sales person in my new neighborhood was showing me the same longarm you're talking about. I've seen Janome's Artistic with the software setup and it's nice but he only has this new one here. Janome makes many machines that are sold under other names such as Elna and Necchi, etc. I'm going to the AQS in Grand Rapids MI next week to look around and I'm hoping to get to try one out and find out more about it.

So many good pieces of advice on this page. As Prism99 said, sewing machines and longarm quilting machines are quite different. I had the Janome Artistic which several have mentioned (which was a rebranded Tin Lizzie). I could not get support for it from either the Tin Lizzie folks nor the Janome folks (they referred me to the Tin Lizzie). The dealer (quilt shop) wasn't well versed either and eventually stopped selling them. So no offense to anyone that has the many rebranded Tin Lizzies or Handiquilters (Babylock Tiara, Crown Jewel), but I would go for the original. That being said, I traded in my Artistic for an Innova (at a huge loss like summitbay above) but couldn't be happier.

C.orlando, thanks for posting all of that firsthand information.
    I own a Janome too and am happy with it. (It's not one of their high end machines). But I am reminded of when the Horizon first came out and there were problems with that machine. Waiting sometimes seems wise with a brand new machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast