Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18 >

Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18

Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18

Old 07-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by c.orlando View Post
I set one of these up for a local quilt shop today. The machine seems to be the same as an Avante. I have an HQ Fusion.

Things that are the same:

1) Bobbin Winder is exactly the same there is no difference.
2) Easy Set Tension, Regulated / Manual mode, Stitch Counter, Bobbin Thread recording etc.. Screen for the Quilt Maker Pro is configured the same as the Sweet Sixteen. I was able to use this without even looking at the manual.
3) Frame is the same as the Avante standard frame except for the quilt top bar which is lower in the front. The carriage tracks are not a continuous track. They are in 4ft sections and you have to add a coupler between to extend the tracks to 8", and 12" they are like the old style tracks that came with the Avante Frame but these are not plastic.
4) Ruler base is exactly the same as the New HQ Fusion ruler base, I have this one and it is exactly the same down to the velcro that they give you to adjust it if is wobbles. The instructions are even the same.

If you are going to spend the $10,999.00 that the my local shop is asking I would look at the Avante as the Quilt Maker Pro does not have a computer system yet it is not available at this time. Also I would go with the tried and true machine until they work the bugs out. While testing this machine after I set it up my thread kept breaking on the top when I increased my speed in regulated mode, also if the bobbin was full it kept catching in the backlash inside the bobbin case. I'm quite experienced with setting the bobbin tension it was set correct, once I ripped off thread and lowered it to 3/4 full it stopped catching in the bobbin case.

Hope that helps you decide
agree with this post. If you're gonna spend that kind of money get yourself an HQ Avante. Their customer service is top notch and the machines are too. I bought mine slightly used(only 30,000 stitches) from a dealer at a great price and I love it.

Cari
I
Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 PM

I'm also looking at the Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18 because I've always loved Janome machines. I've owned them for over 30 years. My first was labeled New Home which was the only label Janome sold under in US at the time. My local repair and Janome sales person in my new neighborhood was showing me the same longarm you're talking about. I've seen Janome's Artistic with the software setup and it's nice but he only has this new one here. Janome makes many machines that are sold under other names such as Elna and Necchi, etc. I'm going to the AQS in Grand Rapids MI next week to look around and I'm hoping to get to try one out and find out more about it.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:09 PM

I'm also looking at the Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18 because I've always loved Janome machines. Did you buy one? If so, do you like it. I've owned them for over 30 years. My first was labeled New Home which was the only label Janome sold under in US at the time. My local repair and Janome sales person in my new neighborhood was showing me the same longarm you're talking about. I've seen Janome's Artistic with the software setup and it's nice but he only has this new one here. Janome makes many machines that are sold under other names such as Elna and Necchi, etc. I'm going to the AQS in Grand Rapids MI next week to look around and I'm hoping to get to try one out and find out more about it.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:01 PM

So many good pieces of advice on this page. As Prism99 said, sewing machines and longarm quilting machines are quite different. I had the Janome Artistic which several have mentioned (which was a rebranded Tin Lizzie). I could not get support for it from either the Tin Lizzie folks nor the Janome folks (they referred me to the Tin Lizzie). The dealer (quilt shop) wasn't well versed either and eventually stopped selling them. So no offense to anyone that has the many rebranded Tin Lizzies or Handiquilters (Babylock Tiara, Crown Jewel), but I would go for the original. That being said, I traded in my Artistic for an Innova (at a huge loss like summitbay above) but couldn't be happier.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:48 AM

C.orlando, thanks for posting all of that firsthand information.
I own a Janome too and am happy with it. (It's not one of their high end machines). But I am reminded of when the Horizon first came out and there were problems with that machine. Waiting sometimes seems wise with a brand new machine.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:59 AM

I am curious if you did buy the Janome Quilt Maker Pro 18. I am also looking at it. The store I would be purchasing it at which are also the set up and repair people are only 20 minutes away from me. That is one of the pluses. The price is also a plus. I was wanting a APQS Lennie as they are on sale now but no dealer near me for help and the delivery and set up are not free as they are with the Janome. I did go to the store and try the Janome. Really liked it. I thought the threading was a little unhandy but it is the same as was on my Janome 1600 which I used on the Little Grace frame. Gave that one to my daughter in law and now am upgrading.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Tpc

I have a Janome quilt pro 18. It is a persnickety machine. I Loathe the lack of customer service. Even if you do find a phone number and get through they send you back to the distributor. Unfortunately my distributor is learning he machine too. It would be much simpler if they had a live chat tech or even webpage where one could ask question and not just upload the booklet that came with the machine. Very frustrating indeed

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-15-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-16-2019, 04:23 AM

I have the Bailey 22” and absolutely love it!! This is my 2nd Bailey, first one being a 13”. The difference is huge. I got both of mine off eBay and when we had a question about skipped stitches once (on the 13”) we called Chuck (I think that’s his name- he’s the owner of the company) he walked my husband through adjusting the timing and even texted him a picture of what the thingy (forgot the name of the thing the bobbin goes in- bobbin holder? &#128518 and how it should look when properly timed. My husband made the adjustment and I was off and running again, until I spied the 22”. I upgraded to it and have loved it ever since. The price point for mine could not be beat.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:58 PM

I like the low bobbin alert ! Wish my LA had that!