Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!! >

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:27 AM

[QUOTE=Originally Posted by roxannebcb
... Dealers have told me that Janome would not stand up to the work that I have put my Bernina through.....[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I have no doubt that my Janomes would stand up to anything you could throw at them. I've put mine through their paces without a lick of trouble. Statements like that are why you have to take what dealers for particular brands say with a very large grain of salt.
That is too funny. My Horizon seems to do anything I want it to. My husband said that I've been using it as much as a factory would and it is a "home machine".

Runs like a dream. Really.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:53 PM

I would recommend a Janome Gem. It is a lightweight computerized sewing machine. Besides my Pfaff, I purchased this machine because I can easily transport it to classes, Charity groups and other homes if I have sewing to do. It only weighs 12 pounds and has an attached handle (so you really don't have to purchase the case. Good luck....and happy sewing.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:12 PM

Here is a used one for 150.00 http://providence.craigslist.org/hsh/3064829565.html
Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I would go Bernina......Have a 185...Great machine.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:39 PM

You should talk to dealers and sit down and try machines. Berninas are not all made in Europe any more - unless you get TOL or near they are made in Asia as well as every other sewing machine now. Janome is a Japanese company with excellent quality control, and I have three of them myself, though I have nothing against Berninas - I have used one and it sewed excellently, but so does my Janome 6300, and my old Pfaff. So really, it's up to what machine feels good to you, and what you like - it is so very subjective - Have you been to PatternReview.com and read the machine reviews there? There are many many reviews and many a board thread full of pros and cons - in the end if you set your budget and buy with in that budget from any major brand, and have a dealer you like, and feel you like the machine - then you will probably love that machine for as long as you either want it or as long as it lasts. This isn't a once-in-a-lifetime-purchase ya know! ) These days many of us like more than one machine and over the years you acquire a couple for this or that purpose. Enjoy the search and don't forget that the end is to sew with it rather than to show off the brand!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
If it were me (which thankfully you are not because you would NEVER do something so devious ) I would tell my Grandmother I want a Janome because I like hers so much and I have heard great things about the new models they have brought out. When you get to the store talk your grandmother into upgrading and giving you her current machine!
lol yes, this is very funny and you are correct, if I did ask my grandmother, she would be like "no way!! its my baby!"
Old 07-08-2012, 09:31 AM

This is all very interesting to me. The reality is, the more familiar you are with a machine, the more you use it and love it. I have an old 1995 Pfaff and a newer Bernina 730. If I am quilting through layers, I use the Pfaff. If I am piecing, I use the Bernina, mostly because of the automatic thread cutter which is faster. Whatever machine you pick, you will grow attached, and you will end up loving it. Determine your price point and get the most for your money. There's a lot of great machines out there and they all have "what they do best features". Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:40 PM

I have had my bernina for more than a decade and it is a great machine. The only thing is, it weighs a ton. Right from the start, this was a pain because it was hard to get it up and down the stairs to take it to classes or to sewing groups.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Hi happinessbears. I have both Janome and several Berninas. I spent way more on my Janome sewing machine but I have to say there is something about Berninas that really sew like none other. I bought a Bernina Record 830 that was Bernina's top selling machine for 11 years. I love it so much that I bought another one. I have 2 now, and if you'd like I can sell you one within your price range.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:10 PM

With the introduction of the new Berninas this fall, you might be able to pick up a trade-in model at a great price. I agree though with no Bernette. You want the real thing.