Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Roll Question >

Jelly Roll Question

Jelly Roll Question

Old 06-23-2012, 05:04 AM

I would love the 'bolted' one; however, the top one is pretty straight forward with being able to at least seeing the color. You have to decide if you can live witht he fabric by looking at the outside strip. I agree that you might be able to fudge some of the strips out... But if there is a display with the fabric there, you can see what you are going to get. Personally, I love jelly rolls and honey buns. Regardless of what I am making, I know the fabric will go together. I have mostly been working in batiks so that isn't a problem any more. Solids are the same as working with batiks. Just color and value...
Old 06-23-2012, 06:16 AM

Ths bolts are better to see the colors. Some time there is a color in the jelly rolls that I would like more of and can never find.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
Evie, I think they create their own picture by putting together small pictures of the line. I have yet to see a fabric manufacturer offer those pictures... except for Moda, which makes available these "full collection" images which I personally find disappointing, because they paste together fabric pictures which are not to the same scale.
Yup! That happened to me when I didn't realize the scale of some fabrics in the layer cake would be so huge. Now I too google the collection online before purchasing.

My goodness if I saw that stack of bolts picture for a jelly roll, it would be in my basket in a heartbeat! So... will it will be available at FF? As MaryAnn said "You have us drooling over those gorgeous colors. And I know I'm not the only one. "
Old 06-23-2012, 06:54 AM

I made a sweatshirt jacket using a jr and turned out really nice and i loved it till i washed and dryed it in the dryer.....then i gave it to my daughter. Putting it in the dryer was a definite no no......it was batik fabrics....still running across some of the left over pieces of fabric.....
Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
I, too, hate to purchase fabrics I can't see. I just go to Missouri Star Quilt Company because all their fabrics have a little thumbnail photo you can click on tho see what's in the collection.
That's why I buy them too.......you can see the pattern of all the fabric be it any pre-cut!
Love MOSQC
Old 06-23-2012, 07:53 AM

In actuality, I only buy from those sites online that I can see the fabrics - they give a little square of each fabric. However, I like the bolts picture even better!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 AM

I have visited with the friends in chat room about a JR and Charm pack that was gifted to me. As a beginner quilter, I look at the 4" squares and the strips of beautiful 2 1/2 " fabric in the JR. Had planned on framing the squares with the the JR strips. Played with them and something is missing. I like to have a pattern in mind before starting a quilt. I find this leaning toward a scrappy approach. What am I missing here?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Ok, MaryAnn and Lara, I've cut a few of the JRs of the rainbow fabrics... and I did three other color groups too. This is a trial to see if there really is a market for these.

They took way longer to cut than I would have liked. Well, part of the time was spent in choosing the colors (though that certainly was fun)... if I have to cut more of these, it won't take as long the second time because I've already done the thinking part of the job :-)

Anyway, they're on my site now (I hope I don't get in trouble for saying so) and the link is always in my signature.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 PM

Stacking the bolts is a terrific idea! The visual is certainly eye candy,it caught my eye. Thanks for sharing this idea.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:58 PM

Definately the stack of fabrics although I find the 3rd picture helpful.