Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jelly Roll "race" quilt - HORRIBLE

I took a class for one, then did another one. It can be tedious, but then again it can be kind of mindless. I just turned the TV on a good show and went to work. After the first round it goes together pretty fast and I like the randomness of it. In the class I did batiks in blues and it turned out great.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Power Poster
    That's too bad that you didn't enjoy making this quilt. I only made one but liked the fact that it was done in one afternoon.

Blog Entries
    I make the jelly roll race quilts when I go to a sew day as it's mindless sewing and I can talk and socialize without concentrating on a quilt pattern. I can do up to three in one sew day. I make a lot of them in baby colors to keep on hand for baby gifts and to give to the church nursery where our guild meeting is held. I keep a supply of jelly rolls in my sew day bag and nothing to take but machine, scissors, and jelly rolls. I press all the seams to one side after the top is done. I don't press each seam separate.
    Got fabric?

sure wish I could see a picture of the finished top

Blog Entries
    I enjoyed mine (made two in one week) but I didn't race either. That first row took more than one bobbin of thread. Yikes. But it goes together quickly. Not something that takes much creativity - just done!
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Lilrain - here are a couple - the purple one is mine, the brown/neutral one is a friend's.

Name:  bali-pops-quilt.jpg
Views: 4212
Size:  286.0 KBName:  c.jpg
Views: 7915
Size:  190.7 KB
    and here is a progress of mine after I decided to cut it up into "stamps":
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6657
Size:  334.3 KB

I have some jelly rolls and have been anxious to try one of these. After hearing your opinions, I'm not sure I want to try it now.

I have Hulu on a PC near the "piecing" sewing machine. Makes it REALLY FUN to make this quilt. I enjoy mindless piecing, I guess. :-)
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

Peckish...I LOVE the purple one that you cut into postage stamps. I've thought about trying a Jelly Roll quilt. Now that I see what you did I think I will attempt one. And I'll do it just like your purple one.

nope...these are not for me...

but I do like the purple one all cut up :-)
    Pam H.

"Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind" ~ Dr. Seuss

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    I made a jelly-rollish kind of quilt but used scraps from the 2 1/2" box. I added friendship stars willy nilly to add something to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
    I made a jelly-rollish kind of quilt but used scraps from the 2 1/2" box. I added friendship stars willy nilly to add something to it.
    Great idea, Chester bunny. The stars make it much more interesting.

Blog Entries
    I did mine on a Sunday afternoon, no race, and still enjoyed having a quilt top done in such a short time.

Just watching it on YouTube was enough for me. I also like a more balanced result as well.

I'd love to see photos of the finished top. Haven't tried this technique yet but do remember seeing some info on it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Lilrain - here are a couple - the purple one is mine, the brown/neutral one is a friend's.

Name:  bali-pops-quilt.jpg
Views: 4212
Size:  286.0 KBName:  c.jpg
Views: 7915
Size:  190.7 KB
    and here is a progress of mine after I decided to cut it up into "stamps":
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 6657
Size:  334.3 KB
    I like both of them a LOT. But the one you cut into "stamps" is really nice. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Please don't feel bad. I started a JR quilt 3 months ago and still haven't got it done, So boring.

I appreciate the work but not a fan. Must admit that some combos work better than others. I like the way the stars help the quilt shown above.

I did one and I did not enjoy it either. I used batiks and I did not like the way the colors fell next to each other and you know that batiks are beautiful. Very hard to ruin a batik quilt but this jelly roll thing did it. I won't do it again and I am trying to figure out what to do with this now. I guess it will go in the UFO pile until I decide where it should go.

I LIKE to do them...I like to do them during our Wed night get together. I can just sew and chat and not have to pay attention to what I am doing . Perfect mindless work.

I do like all of the quilts, though as a newbie I am still drawn to the geometric designs and speed is not a concern yet. I guess the design is just like colors strictly personal.

Love it cut in to 'stamps'. It really is gorgeous that way, but I hate the thought of trying to match all those seams!!

Blog Entries
    I have made one. I had a jelly roll that someone gave me for free that I didn't particularly care for. It turned out OK. It was sure easy.I quilted it with and all over meander in a multi color thread. I donated it to a shelter and they loved it. If I make another one I will cut each of the strips in half first. It seemed to me like it needed the strips broken up a little more. I also saw one where they sewed a contrasting square at the end of each strip to break it up,

I am like you, did not like the race or the quilt. I didn't like like the jelly roll that I used. I was making mine at a retreat a couple of weeks ago and loved a couple of the other quilts. I think the jelly roll used makes a big difference in the outcome of the quilt.
    Lorraine

This is the first time I've heard of/seen this type of quilt - I'm intrigued & inspired! I seem to like having at least 2 quilts going at the same time - one "fussy" quilt (which to me would be something like a bargello or stack & whack) and one easier one (like a large-block 4 patch) - so I can switch off between them if I feel stifled. This seems like a great "in betweener" quilt to have going for when I just want to zip along some long seams! To me it's really satisfying to go thundering along at top speed sometimes. (Although my new machine doesn't "thunder" quite as much as my old one, lol!)

I really like the "postage stamp" idea too!

Darn you people, you keep making me buy new things! First it was Aurifil thread (which is just as marvelous as ya'll promised), then books, now I'm venturing into jelly rolls - I thought I'd never buy a jelly roll! OH NO, gotta buy more fabric! This is just HORRIBLE.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast