Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jelly Roll Race Quilt

Sorry I'm so ignorant but could someone tell me what a jelly roll race quilt is?

what is a jelly roll race quilt????

Z
    Blog Entries

Quilting Jelly Roll

Quote Originally Posted by kay45 View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to quilt a jelly roll race quilt? I sewed it together this weekend while hubs was watching the race. I was suprised how fast it went together. Now I need ideas on how to quilt it. Thanks for any help, the quilters on this forum are the greatest.
    Look at the decorative stitches on your machine. I use what is called the serpentine stitch at the widest width and a length of 3 or 4. I stitch on top of each seam and don't worry if it is straight on the seam. The curves offset the straight seams. Quilting on the seams at the 2 inch intervals makes a nice rippling texture. The serpentine stitch is like a huge zigzag but has rounded points.

Blog Entries
    All these Jelly Roll quilts...and where are all the pictures for us to enjoy and get inspiration. Would LOVE to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    I am quilting one using the Baptist Fan motif. Some might call it shells as my aunts and grandmother did or Bishops Fan.
    I LOVE Baptist Fan! I use it for all my civil war repro quilts (some of my 30's, too)! I love it! It's so handy & adaptable! I even used it on one with football helmets in the fabric because the curve echoed the curve of the helmet.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by PghPat View Post
    All these Jelly Roll quilts...and where are all the pictures for us to enjoy and get inspiration. Would LOVE to see them.
    Me, too! Like I said earlier, I wish we could have a gallery or an album or whatever with them in it. I wonder who you contact about that? Maybe I'll ask Patrice...
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Look at the decorative stitches on your machine. I use what is called the serpentine stitch at the widest width and a length of 3 or 4. I stitch on top of each seam and don't worry if it is straight on the seam. The curves offset the straight seams. Quilting on the seams at the 2 inch intervals makes a nice rippling texture. The serpentine stitch is like a huge zigzag but has rounded points.
    Serpentine stitch is a GREAT stitch to use one just about anything!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)

Quote Originally Posted by karate lady View Post
    what is a jelly roll race quilt????
    Here's a tutorial from here on the board for you & Mossie. MO Star Quilts has a video tutorial also.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...lt-t44258.html
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)

Quote Originally Posted by jeanneb52 View Post
    I've done a ton of these and tend to do meandering or leaves and vines accross. I think it needs to be "flowy" to offset all the straight bars.
    I agree... it needs "softening up", I think.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)

Here is Missouri Star Quilt Company's tutorial on the jelly roll race quilt. All their videos are fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEJL...0&feature=plcp

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Me, too! Like I said earlier, I wish we could have a gallery or an album or whatever with them in it. I wonder who you contact about that? Maybe I'll ask Patrice...
    I've started an album for you ... check it out: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums17318.html
    Cathy

I bought two jelly rolls last week and plan on making two quilts or one large quilt.
    I watched the video from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. That Lady is a hoot to watch.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2