Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Roll? >

Jelly Roll?

Jelly Roll?

Old 04-11-2014, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

There are so many patterns that to Google would be best to find what appeals to you. You can see when you look at a pattern that are made up of 2" strips. Even Falling Charms, a popular pattern from MSQC, uses 2.5" strips and 5" charm squares. I don't use jelly rolls very often because of the expense. I will be cutting my own 2.5" strips for using in a charity Falling Charm quilt top
Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 AM

Jelly rolls are my favorite pre-cut. Rail Fence is only the beginning. Please look up "Strip Club" or Cozy Quilt Shop - Daniela is amazing with jelly rolls. Also see youtube videos by Gourmet Quilter. I also use jelly rolls for borders and binding.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

You can make a Rail Fence quilt pattern or a basketweave quilt pattern. I posted one in pictures under the title: Basket Weave from a jelly roll by --Jingle.
My jelly roll had very pretty colors. I can post a picture here.
Attached Thumbnails 2014-5.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:25 AM

I love Jelly Rolls. I'm terrible at choosing colors and cutting so they are a Godsend for me. I have made several jelly roll race quilts and other quilts using jelly rolls.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:22 AM

I would check out local Library... I have 4 with in 30 min or Less of driving time... Look through their Quilting Book Section for Ideas...I found 5 just about Jelly Rolls... I would watch for Sales at some of the online Quilt Shops ...I got my jelly roll fabric and some Charm Squares for about 1/4 the price... Connecting Threads is one place I shop...
Old 04-12-2014, 04:13 AM

Jelly Rolls are wonderful and there are so many patterns that use them. Try looking on Craftsy, amazing what folks have done with these gems.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

You can make some great "tube" quilts with jelly rolls. Check out the Summer in the Park quilt at the Missouri Star site. It's a tube quilt. Bento box is another beautiful design that is easy with jelly rolls. I'm not a fan of the Jelly Roll Race quilt (too simple), but there are tons of other designs you can use your jelly rolls for. It's a way to get a sampling of an entire line of fabric, in convenient pre-cut form.

Geri B, Pinterest takes the place of bookmarks. It's your own personal bulletin board to "pin" whatever you want to keep as a reference for later. I keep all kinds of patterns, recipes and ideas there. It's so much fun. Lots of us are addicted to Pinterest! It's especially great for quilting.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 AM

I think Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Company has a couple of videos about jelly rolls.

Also, Moda had a cute design at one point called the Lawn Chair quilt (I've made three already). Don't know if it's still available on their website, but it's worth a look.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 AM

Have you seen Liz Katsuro's website. She sells lots of jellyrolls that she cuts and has patterns for them as well. Here is a link to her page: http://www.jellyrollfabric.net/Patterns_ep_41-1.html. I joined her email list to get ideas. I think I found her website while looking for a certain color grouping.

There are a couple of people who are selling "non-commercial" (i.e specific fabric line like Moda) jelly rolls that they create.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Log cabin....rail fence, yellow brick road - so many quilts, so much fabric, so little time..................