Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jem Gold make accurate 1/4" seam? >

Jem Gold make accurate 1/4" seam?

Jem Gold make accurate 1/4" seam?

Old 02-24-2017, 02:34 PM

Peaceandjoy, if you are used to a bernina, the jems probably seem under-powered? or absence of knee lift?? I won't be relying on the jem except for classes and if I need a beefier machine for a class, I have one I could haul in. i do like to sew outside and now and then for projects at daughter's home. I'd have gone with the 720 except not for $500. Kind of funny - Janome has a new machine - "Mod 50" - for $225 that has an amazing array of features over the jem gold and platinums too. It is light also, but bigger. i really can't understand the pricing! it SHOULD be a no-brainer to choose the mod 50 for same cost and get 10x more. But, for a full-featured machine, I don't want light and small so I guess i'll be ok.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:43 PM

I had the Jem Gold and loved it for small pieces -- the points of the HSTs never got caught. I used the zig-zag foot and marked the 1/4" line on it because I sew better with an open toe (I used a lined index card to determine the location of the line).
Old 02-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Can you free motion quilt on a Jem Gold? I have an older one and was wondering
Old 02-27-2017, 05:58 AM

Its not well-suited for FM due to its light weight and small harp, but you can do it if you have a very small project and cover the feed-dogs (they do not drop). Also it might help if you had it in a cabinet so it would not scoot. I have read of owners who have successfully used it for machine quilting both FM and with a walking foot but its probably not an easy task.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
I have a sudden urge to buy a jem gold while they are still available. Price was $199 for last 10 years until after first of the year and they're now $239-$269! I found a semi-good deal on one but wanted to ask owners how it does on 1/4" seams since needle is stationary? I've enjoyed combing internet for reviews and so many people still own and love this machine. Welcome all comments from those who are familiar with the gold's piecing ability.
I love both my Janome Gem Platinum 750 (lightweight for retreats) and my larger 6600 for home. All the parts are interchangeable. That said, I would not buy a machine that does not allow you to move the needle. I say: keep looking for exactly what you want. Costco often has good deals, too. My friend loves her smaller brother machine she bought a really good price and she figures if it breaks she hasn't lost much. I know she has had it for about 4 years now.