Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jennifer Chiaverini has a NEW book >

Jennifer Chiaverini has a NEW book

Jennifer Chiaverini has a NEW book

Old 10-20-2011, 02:15 PM

Ooohhhh maybe I'll add that to my birthday list! How did you get picked to promote her books?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM

I've read all her books except the Union Quilters. What is this one about? Can you give us a sneak preview? Love her stories.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:41 PM

I've just finished the Union Quilters. I usually love her books, but this one was too heavy on history and war scenes for me. It seems to me that it was inspired by Gone With the Wind, written from a Northern States perspective. There were two female rivals for one man, he (Just like Ashley Wilkes) married one because the family expected it(Just like Melanie WIlkes), and the other(Scarlett O Hara) held a flame for him all through the book. Maybe a Rhett Butler character would have livened it up a bit! I do like a bad boy.
The attitude of the Northern States army to the African Americans was well written, and bought to my mind Scarlett O'Hara thinking about how if the Northerners are so scared of African Americans (not what she called them), then why did they fight a war to free them? For me, this evoked memories of my Great Uncles and Uncles and brothers who fought for Australia in WW1 and WW2, Korea and Vietnam but were not legally citizens of Australia as they were Aboriginal Australians.
I would prefer more character focused writing than a history lesson, and I do love history. Just not war history. I grew up with a father who had been to four wars, and everyone would give him war books for his birthday and christmas. He would quietly donate them to the local Returned Services League. Maybe this is where I get my feelings towards this from?

Anyway, I will buy the next one to see if it is different.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:54 PM

The Wedding Quilt is about all the weddings that have taken place at Elm Creek Manor over the years. The first chapter is set in the future so we do find out what the twins are. I won't spoil it for you, but if you want to read the first chapter visit Jennifer's site at http://www.elmcreek.net. You can also pre-order a signed copy of the book and the commemorative pin from Next Chapter Books. To get all the info on that, visit http://elmcreek.net/blog/the-wedding...chapter-books. I've done that in the past and they provide great service.

I'm not connected with them, other than as coordinator for Jennifer's online Sylvia's Bridal Sampler BOW group.

To become a "promoter" for Jennifer's future books, become a fan of hers on Facebook and she'll let you know when it's time to sign up. The next book is due out in February.

Can't wait to read the rest of the book!
Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Rainy Day, that's just the reason I didn't read it. I'm not into that kind of reading. I just hope her next book is more light like all her other books in the past have been. Thanks for telling me about Union Quilters. It really sounded good, but not for me....
Old 10-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Reading them in order just discovered her last summer. Up to book 12...with 13-14 waiting on the kitchen table
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM

I love her books, but the Union Quilters was difficult for me to finish. I don't know if I like the premise of this book taking place in the future! That's different.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:30 PM

I don't think we can really say it's set in the future. The opening chapter is in the future, but my understanding is that the rest of the book is about weddings at Elm Creek Manor in the past. I think the opening chapter is clever in that it will reveal what the twins are, but I don't believe they are the focus of the book.

Of course we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info Lynda, I went to FB and "liked" her page. I also found out she is going to be in town next month.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lauriejo
Thanks for the info Lynda, I went to FB and "liked" her page. I also found out she is going to be in town next month.
oh lucky....you could MEET her..I never have..only via emails and now FB....