Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jinny Beyer kits? >

Jinny Beyer kits?

Jinny Beyer kits?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 PM

I would prewash the fabric, I fill up the bathtub with medium warm water and retayne, and lay the fabric in the tub, follow the directions on the retayne, then swish around, drain, and fill again to rinse. Then I squeeze roll the fabrics, put them in old towels and roll them. I air dry. This is just what I do if I am concerned about bleeding. If the colors are not dark, I don't prewash.

I do not prewash a finished quilt usually, as I like the feel and look of a new quilt when I gift them. I add a package of color catchers with the gift.

I do not machine wash fabric anymore, as I "despise" the strings that get wrapped around everything. It is just a quirk with me. Each of us quilting do what we feel comfortable with, and with color catchers on the market, and retayne maybe prewashing is a thing of the past. The quilts and comforters and sheets in the store are not prewashed - if they were they would looke "used", something that I do not want my "gifted" quilts to look like.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I, too, rarely prewash, and have very little trouble with bleeding from the name manufacturers like Moda, RJR, etc. I can only assume bleeding occurs in different water situations and/or with differences in detergents than I have used over the years.

Jan in VA
Old 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I'd purchased a MODA red print a year ago February. It tinted the white selvage pink when I dunked it. It also turned the water red - for a couple of rinses.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-07-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:46 AM

I think you run the risk of frayed edges if you pre washed the kit pieces. It would be sufficient to wash the finished piece if you really need to wash.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6 View Post
I just finished a Jenny Beyer kit called Edgemore. I did prewash the fabrics. I had plenty of fabric. I was not impressed with the instructions. There were numerous errors so be very careful. Also when I opened the kit there were two pieces of fabric that I just hated and felt that they took away from the beauty of the beautiful border print fabric so I replaced them. I love Jenny Beyer fabric and her patterns show the fabrics off beautifully but I will not be buying one of her kits again.
Check her website. There are ALWAYS corrections!
Old 06-09-2012, 04:31 AM

I have bought a couple of kits, and lots of yardage from Jinny Beyer. I haven't had any problems with the fabric bleeding, etc., but there is always a first time. I don't usually prewash anything because I like the hand on unwashed fabric. I would hate to have to starch and iron a new piece of fabric.

I like the instructions that comes with the kits. They are clear and concise. And she does post any 'mistakes' to the pattern online. I would think you might contact her customer service people and ask them about bleeding etc. I bet they would help.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I'd purchased a MODA red print a year ago February. It tinted the white selvage pink when I dunked it. It also turned the water red - for a couple of rinses.
Hi, Bear, the same thing happened to me with MODA red on a quilt that was finished. (Before the days of color catchers) Now I veer away from reds, especially in a kit. Either I avoid the kit, buy extra fabric so I can wash it, or think of another option.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:44 AM

is there any place on Quilting Board for all these abreviations..........I got SOL, lol, but there have been other times that I just didn't get some of the short cuts.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:44 AM

Also, if anyone answers my question, where would I find there answers? hum.......
Old 06-09-2012, 06:06 PM

I have a kit that I barely had 1/2" left after following the cutting directions. I was even afraid to iron because of the chance of shrinkage. The kit came with the 7" borders cut to length and I mean cut to the length that the quilt should be, not accounting for any errors or not quite perfect scant 1/4 seams. One of the pieces I miss cut, cut an extra 2" piece, then I did not have enough for the remainder of the pieces I needed to cut. Luckly I was able to find a quilt shop on the internet and get another piece. The collection was from the previous spring and was very popular not to mention all mode fabrics. So I would not recommend pre-washing fabric that comes in a kit.