Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jinny Beyer kits? >

Jinny Beyer kits?

Jinny Beyer kits?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 AM

Question Jinny Beyer kits?

I just received the kit for the Jinny Beyer quilt my grandson selected for his HS graduation quilt. I am wondering if anyone has experience with them and whether you prewashed the fabrics. I almost always prewash but was concerned if I did there would not be enough fabric included to account for shrinkage. What has been your experience and what would you recommend.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:26 AM

I have to say I rarely pre-wash my fabrics, and I would never pre-wash a kit, if the fabrics where already cut into the pieces for the quilt.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

Some of the older (maybe 1990s) RJR Jinny Beyer fabrics were not very color fast.

A friend bought the Moonglow kits from that era and said that the cuts were generous.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:50 AM

I don't usually prewash, but if I'm in doubt about anything I run hot water in the bathroom sink and soak the fabtic for 20 minutes or so. That way I can tell if it is going to bleed or not, and there is not the fraying you get when you wash it in the machine.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 AM

J.Beyer fabrics have had a reputation for bleeding, so I would definately prewash, most likely by hand so I could determine if the bleeding( if any) had stopped.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 AM

I just finished a Jenny Beyer kit called Edgemore. I did prewash the fabrics. I had plenty of fabric. I was not impressed with the instructions. There were numerous errors so be very careful. Also when I opened the kit there were two pieces of fabric that I just hated and felt that they took away from the beauty of the beautiful border print fabric so I replaced them. I love Jenny Beyer fabric and her patterns show the fabrics off beautifully but I will not be buying one of her kits again.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Some of the older (maybe 1990s) RJR Jinny Beyer fabrics were not very color fast.

A friend bought the Moonglow kits from that era and said that the cuts were generous.
I bought that kit also, and the kits weren't that generous. Plus, if you make a mistake cutting you're SOL because there really isn't enough to cover mistakes. I was a newbie when I bought it.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 AM

I have made one Jinny Beyer kit, "Polly's Poinsettias". I did not pre wash the fabric. Hope Color Catchers will help. I didn't have any problems with the instructions and I am a beginning quilter. There was enough fabric in the kit; but the amount was not generous. There was no room for error. If I make another of her quilts, I will probably pre wash by soaking in the bathroom sink.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by catmcclure View Post
I bought that kit also, and the kits weren't that generous. Plus, if you make a mistake cutting you're SOL because there really isn't enough to cover mistakes. I was a newbie when I bought it.
I think the instructions also said "beginner" Yeah, right. Like mountain climbing is for toddlers.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

i have done a number of Jinney Beyer quilts- i have never had a problem with bleeding fabrics from her- i love her border prints & use them alot.
i tend to prewash yardage- but never pre-cuts or kit fabrics - if i have a bleeder in a kit or pre-cut i may wash that one- more often i simply replace it...but i've never had that problem from any of Jinney's fabrics.
if you are concerned with any bleeding do a color test and check them- wet one- rub with a paper towel or piece of muslin- if color comes off- prewash- if color does not come off-don't bother.