Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Anne's closing >

Jo Anne's closing

Jo Anne's closing

Old 09-26-2010, 11:28 PM

Always go to Golden Dior when I'm in Dallas. Sometime the quilting fabric selection is better than other times but usually I find something I have to have--their prices are about half the price of quilt store fabric and they have a good selection of name brand quilt fabrics. Some are last years fabrics but you know what--I have fabric more than a year old in my stash so I sure don't mind buying last years at half-price.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:57 PM

I feel so blessed..our JoAnn's was a couple of towns over and there was also a Hancock Fabric there where I used to buy furs for my original teddy bears, but the JoAnn's closed to move about 10 minutes away from me. Since I spend so much time there, I'm thrilled!! Bigger store too! Hancocks is now over an hour away though.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by donnajean
I don't have a Hancock's or Hobby Lobby anywhere near me and the closest "still open" quilt shop it almost an hr. away.
Same here. Have 1 LQS and prices are $8.99 and up. For a little southern country town, that is a lot. Twice as much as the fabric was at WalMart before they took out the material. We have to go about 45 miles to another fabric store and 1 1/2 hours away to a Hobby Lobby or a Hancocks.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 AM

You have more than we do....or ever did.I only go to Joanns here for basics.Prefer to shop the super Joanns in the city.They have huge selections of everything.Only prob is the 100 mile rd trip :-) I am also ordering more fabrics on line.Sales & free shipping works for me.
The HL here has a very small fabric dept & notion choice is very scanty .Went there twice & that was it.Maybe that's why I didn't see other ppl in fabric dept.

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle
WalMart phased out fabric, now JoAnne's in the area is closing the doors! Saying they are loosing their lease and maybe will relocate. This only leaves a Hancocks, Hoby Lobby and a Quilt Shop for the entire Katy area of Texas. I will be buying more on line!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:06 AM

Thanks,Judy. We're also on retirement budget.Several shops you mentioned look to have good sales. Will be checking them out.

Originally Posted by jamannix
For those of you forced to shop on-line, two sites that have first quality fabric
and great prices are "ThousandsofBolts" and "MarshallsDryGoods".
You have to look through the whole site but it is well worth it - most fabrics at 1000s of Bolts... but only one Nut are less than $4/yd.
For excellent fabric and fabric selection at slightly higher prices, I use Connecting Threads; their batiks are less than $6/yd.
Hancocks of Paducah and Stitch-'N-Frame also have great sales; I get much of my fabric from the letter at their Thursday specials.
Also I shop at Fabric.com which has excellent sales and if you spend $35,
shipping is free.Unfortunately it is very easy to spend $35...
Naturally the sale fabrics don't come in complete collections but it might mean that you got the focus fabric at full price, but the coordinates at the sales. This has worked for me since I live on a retirement budget.
Best of luck to you - Judy
Old 09-27-2010, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the store in Dallas. Since my daughter and her husband live up there I see trips to Dallas in my future. :)
Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 AM

I live in NH and never heard of Keepsake Quilting in NH - i will have to google that and see where it is.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 AM

One of the ladies heard how the clerk treated me, and she took me aside and said they had a new manager who was a real witch, and everyone was suffering. I was sorry to hear that, because an unreasonable manager can spoil the whole operation. I hope they will have gotten rid of that person who made her coworkers so miserable before they move.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 AM

Jackie, where did you teach in West Houston? I taught at Lee HS and later long-term subbed at Paul Revere. How do you like Roswell?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:53 AM

where did you hear joann is closing,I hadn't heard this.