Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joanns - Black Friday >

Joanns - Black Friday

Joanns - Black Friday

Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 PM

I do not leave the house on the day after Thanksgiving. I hate crowded stores and besides, the best part of a day off is staying in my pj's all day! :P
Old 11-23-2010, 07:27 PM

I haven't found anything worth that much hassle. The door busters may not be on line but usually the sale prices are and I can shop in my pjs.

Good luck to all of you that will brave the crowds.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
One this for certain, I will not be one of them! :)
Neither will I. I've only done ONE Black Friday and I made my X on it. X means NO MORE.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM

I do have to go to one store, but it won't be early. I like to be in the crowds but not part of the crowd. Will Joanne's have items on sale that they don't usually? And if you have a 40% or 50% off at other times, does it work out to be about the same price?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I don't do Black Friday. Just too hectic for me.
Can someone tell me what a Black Friday sale is please I haven't heard of this in Australia? Thank you.
Gleniveve
Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 PM

I just dn't see the sense in going shopping at 4, 5 or 6 a.m.! I have never shopped on Black Friday & never will. There's nothing that important to me.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gleniveve
Can someone tell me what a Black Friday sale is please I haven't heard of this in Australia? Thank you.
Gleniveve
Hi Gleniveve, I looked it on Wikipedia. Here is the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

I learned more than I thought I already knew. Have a great day! :-D
Old 11-24-2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by jetnica
i do! it's kind of a family tradition to sit down after dinner has been cleaned up and go through all of the ads and come up with a "plan" for the next morning.

I don't push and shove, and last year, at sears, when the pushing and shoving started, i sorta hid in women's underwear until the madness died down. lost out on a couple of deals, and took me a while to find the bf again, but at least i wasn't hurt!

=) It also helps to go in with a smile-ly, shiny attitude, it disarms those mean crazies.
In years past, this too has been our tradition also with my sister and my mother. However, in more recent years with my mother's failing health and our own children, who don't like the shopping and the crowds, want to have our own family traditions. I usually do venture out later in the afternoon. Just have to get that crowd maddness fix I guess.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Gleniveve
Hi Gleniveve, I looked it on Wikipedia. Here is the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

I learned more than I thought I already knew. Have a great day! :-D
I hadn't ever heard about traffic related to "Black Friday" only the reference to retailers making the most sales that day and hopefully closing the year in the black, meaning with a profit and not a loss. Traffic connection might have only been in Philadephia and surrounding area.

It seems the crazy hours and such started aroung late 70's early 80's. As soon as one store opened at 7 am, the next year there were stores opening at 5 or 6 etc. each year someone getting earlier. So now there is an outlet mall about an hour away that is opening at midnight and the first so many (I forget the #) that arrive in pjs get some kind of discount coupon or something. Then yesterday some store here is staying open all night -never closing on Thursday, and the "door-buster" prices go into effect at 5 am. Personnally I feel sorry for the staff that has to come in to work these crazy hours.
It seems to me that the really slashed prices that can't be found at other times are for items that are very limited in supply and very few actually get one. Also seems to me most of the folks that are out there for the day are in it for the thrill of the hunt, or to get all the shopping done in one day so they don't have to put up with crowds, and being tired when they go after work.
The one who posted she gets in, gets her batting for the year, and gets out sounds like the only way I'd be out there.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 AM

Gleniveve
Not too sure why it is named "Black Friday" but it is the designation for the day after Thanksgiving - this year Nov. 26th. Stores open at midnight, 3a.m., 4 a.m. and all kinds of crazy hours. Various stores offer big bargains - flat screen televisions for $200, etc. and people flock in at those hours. It seems to be a tradition for some families and friends to stand in line for hours to get into the store and hopefully get one of the bargains. Personally, there is nothing I need to get to be out at that time.