Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joann's was crazy! >

Joann's was crazy!

Joann's was crazy!

Old 11-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Was at the first joanns at 6am when it opened bought lots of flannel out by 6;30 went to jcpennys spent quite a bit, called my sil and went to another joanns grabbed our number as we went by the counter and then on to the fabric. Bought more flannel , bought the stuff to put in my 7 yr old GD sewing box, she asked for a sewing machine, Id already bought her one prior to her list. then our number was called spent lots saved even more then we spent. Went to Kohls, did some serious shopping there and back to my sil house by 1;30 Not bad
Old 11-27-2011, 08:29 PM

Unfortunetly, my closest JoAnns is 30 minutes away. No car. I did go to the Black Friday Sale at my local Hancock Fabrics. The line for the cutting counter was long, only had 2 cutters, but they went REALLY FAST. They were fully staffed & they were very helpful. I went in for elastic (I am making my middle son boxers for Christmas), and thread. I ended up getting flannel ($1.69 per yard) for my four year old son to make him pjs for Christmas. All of the customers were very polite. My son & I saw one lady with 3 shopping carts filled overflowing with polar fleece. lolol They had serger thread on sale for 50% off!!! YEAH!! YEAH!! I spent $20.74 and saved $27.91. I think I too, will start a fund for next years sales that away I can REALLY STOCK UP GOOD!! lol. I came out with 6 yards of flannel, 6 yards of elastic, 2 yards of cotton belting, & 4 spools of purple Maxi Lock Serger Thread.

debra

PS-Had I known serger thread would be on sale, I would not have gone 2 days earlier and bought it. I would have waited and got it all on November 25, 2011. lol I guess I will know for next year.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 PM

I wanted to go but unable to make it this year. Maybe next year. It looked like they had some really good deals.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 AM

Yes I did and was pleased with the selection too and they had them up front so you didn't have to go looking for it. I was lucky though some lady who only had 3 or 4 items was able to go to the quick cutting table and gave me her number so I moved up about 60 numbers. Made my day. Then went back Sat. for the quilt fabric that was on for 1.99 but there really wasn't much of a selection but the addition 25% off total purchase was a big hit with me too.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 AM

Wink

I had avoided crowds and not shopped Black Friday sales before, but I checked email before heading to bed after getting home late from family party and saw the JoAnn's ad with $1.49 flannel and 25% coupon on Friday morning only, and considered going. Got carried away on computer, including this board, so still up at 5 and thought I might as well feed the furkids and go to JoAnn's, since that price made flannel affordable for Linus Project quilt backings. Got there at 6:10 a.m.; no carts, and a young boy standing there to tell everyone they were all out, so I went to cut counter for a number, then went to look for flannel. They had the wrapped 8-yard bolts that did not have to be measured, but most of the pretty or cute prints were opened. Even though there were 100s of bolts in shopper's carts already, there were still oodles available, as they stocked extra tables. Grabbed a few bolts and went back to cart area to wait for a cart to come in, and found more fabrics in other waiting people's swag that they would share and I could add to mine. I had considered just shopping online, and looked at the flannel there, but knowing that some of JA's fabrics are nice and some not so much, I preferred to touch before buying. Glad I decided that, as a couple prints I would have chosen had no nap at all; they were just somewhat coarse fabric. I did end up buying about 40 yards, and every piece came out thick and fluffy after washing. I intended all for backings, but a few are so luscious feeling I will probably divert those to "evening" gowns--what some call nightgowns, but I wear them all evening instead of to bed!

While waiting for cutting number to come up I found an empty chair in the art supplies section, so just sat and people-watched--including a JA employee who was offering free candy canes to anyone suffering low blood sugar--in comfort for a while, then no wait at all in checkout line, and out the door by 8:45. It was really quite well organized (double the usual cutting tables going, and bolts being returned to shelves pronto) and I'll probably go back next year, unless I still have all this fabric in my stash! Maybe if I sew more and and stay on the computer less I'll get more projects finished...do ya think? : )

Last edited by suzanprincess; 11-29-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM

I went to JoAnn's too. I just went for the flannel. I had bought some earlier and had paid $2.99/yd for the same thing. I got there before it opened so I only had to wait about 10 minutes to have it cut.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:34 PM

Couldn't resist either. I took a number as soon as I got in the store and kept an eye on what the next number called was. It worked out pretty good and passed this tip to someone just starting to shop. The line wasn't real bad and only had to wait for 15 numbers to be called. Got some good bargains. Spent $92 and saved $232. Thought I did good.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM

I went on Black Friday, didn't need flannel, but did get some quilting supplies and batting. The parking lot was full, plus the two others beside it. The check out line in the store was the length of the store. The cutting line had approximately 55 numbers ahead of me, I said forget it and bought the bagged Warm and Natural. I will say never again, but next year I will head out again, glutten for punishment.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 PM

I went on Sat been on Black Friday and stood for 3 hrs we all had fun in line but it took so long. Sat wasn't bad and I bought several things and saved $125. and got some good deals. good shopping day for once. Sue