Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Jodi Barrows

Has anyone out there tried this 'square in a square' system? I have heard it is supposed to be fast, effecient, and make incredible points without paper piecing.

Is it all too good to be true?

Blog Entries
    my friend, peggy, thinks it's the greatest thing since chunky peanut butter on sliced banana bread.

I won the whole set of books and rulers at the last quilt show. Then I went on line and bought the video. I haven't tried it yet but I bought fabric to try it soon.

She also has regular books out that is about her family and thier travels. I was thinking about reading them too. It all sounds so interesting.

Ok, thanks ladies. You were fortunate Red. Her system appeals to me, but honestly, not all of her quilts do. I was wondering how difficult it would be to transfer the way she does her pieces to redoing them for patterns I have selected.

Am I making any sense? :?

I have her square in a square ruler & instruction booklet. The thing I don't like about it, is you are working with bias ALOT! I've only finished one project with it.... keep promising myself that I'll try it again, but....so many projects....so little time.

Mrs Mel,

Your telling me I figured out what it would have cost me ... Yikes!
    In her books there is a 800 number that she say's anytime you want help to change any pattern out to her system, they are happy to help you do that. There is a formula that is in the books that can be used for the easy ones, but I would contact them when it got too hard (many steps) The video is hours long and very helpful. Each type square/block is covered seperately and you can click to go to each one. I recommend it highly if you are going to try this square in a square method. Well, to me a picture is worth a thousand words.

Hi,

I have both of her rulers. I haven't done any of her patterns but it sure works well for doing square in a square. I hate cutting triangles. While I hate to waste fabric I really need to use up some of my stash. I have made two bed size quilts using the square in a square method. One is currently on my bed and the other I will be finished quilting within a week or so. I have also used it successfully in making several Linus quilts.

I am really looking forward to trying mine. There are four rulers and 4 books in the set I recieved. I am just dedicated to finishing up some of my ufo's and wip first.

I bought her book and ruler when I first started quilting. Made some sq in sq with it but havnt used it since. Now I will have to review the instructions to do it again.
    It is very different from the traditional way.

Have used her method for a while now. You do have some waste of fabric though; so plan for it when purchasing fabric. The waste is worth the perfect points!
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Mel
    Has anyone out there tried this 'square in a square' system? I have heard it is supposed to be fast, effecient, and make incredible points without paper piecing.
    I had never heard of her until your post - I spent some time looking at the videos tonight. What a neat process and oh how I could have used some of those methods doing that blasted plaid star quilt I am working on. :roll: