Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joining the club of the empty bobbin >

Joining the club of the empty bobbin

Joining the club of the empty bobbin

Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 AM

One of my machines, my Brother, has a warning signal when the bobbin is low. It has saved me many times. But my other machines, a White and a different Brother, don't have them. Guess which machine I use the most?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:40 AM

My Janome beeps when the bobbin gets half empty, and then it beeps until it runs out. I find it a bit annoying. I would like for it to remind me, but it beeps too soon. I think there may be a way to reset it, but I haven'tfound that out yet. I always look when I'm embroidering so that I have enough to finish the design as it's bad when I run out and have to reset the pattern to where I was when it ran out.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 AM

My embroidery machine has a warning beep but there is usaully enough thread left to finish the project unless I am just starting.
I often run out of bobbin thread in the middle of quilting my Linus quilts. It is so annoying to think you have finished only to discover you were sewing along for nothing.
I think we have all been there done that.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 AM

I don't really find this to be a problem. I can tell immediately if I am out of bobbin thread. Never sew more than an inch or two without bobbin thread. My 301a feels and sounds different. I always keep a full bobbin on my bobbin winder.

I just don't find this to be such a big deal, just another part of the process.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 AM

I should be the President of the club! Happens to me all of the time. I hate it when it happens.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Well ladies this morning I was working hard on the king size rag quilt that my son hired me to complete for a friends birthday. I was sewing very nicely on a long row thinking I was doing well. Well to my surprise when I reached the end to snip the thread. There was no bobbin thread. I had been sewing almost the entire row without the bobbin thread without noticing. All pins were gone and rows not sewn together. What a bummer. I had to re-pin almost the entire row and start over. I sure wish I had a red light or something to warn me of the empty bobbin. So I just stopped went to Hancock for sewing machine oil and thread. Then back home to clean machine and fill the bobbin to begin again.
My machine beeps and stops and tells me the bobbin is empty. That's what's nice about a computerized machine. There is about a foot of thread left when it does this.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull
My Janome beeps when the bobbin gets half empty, and then it beeps until it runs out. I find it a bit annoying. I would like for it to remind me, but it beeps too soon. I think there may be a way to reset it, but I haven'tfound that out yet. I always look when I'm embroidering so that I have enough to finish the design as it's bad when I run out and have to reset the pattern to where I was when it ran out.
My Viking has a button to "return to last stitch" after I fill the bobbin.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:09 AM

I don't have an empty bobbin warning light,but my machine will fill 5-6 bobbibs in 5 mins.....so I always have a bunch ready to go.Like you, if there's a heavy duty sewing marathon coming up....I start with a full bobbin.

Originally Posted by SuziC
I learned that the hard way too so now before i start a strip of sewing i Always check the bobbin and have another ready to go :!:
Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Your bobbin thread is sentient. It holds a grudge. It knows what you did last summer. It will take its revenge by running out just as you reach the centermost topstitching on the two-year project you’ve been working on for your perfectionist mother-in-law who, by rights, shouldn’t have vision that perfect at her age anyway.

It will laugh at you.

Just don’t retaliate because the sewing needles will return fire. If they can’t skewer you they’ll throw themselves across the train tracks. You know. For the Gipper.
Now I will pick myself up off the floor after LMBO ----- my thoughts, exactly!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:48 AM

My Bernina has a bobbin reminder. Problem: sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.