Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Joining the club of the empty bobbin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joining-club-empty-bobbin-t101170.html)

chamby 02-19-2011 12:59 PM

Well ladies this morning I was working hard on the king size rag quilt that my son hired me to complete for a friends birthday. I was sewing very nicely on a long row thinking I was doing well. Well to my surprise when I reached the end to snip the thread. There was no bobbin thread. I had been sewing almost the entire row without the bobbin thread without noticing. All pins were gone and rows not sewn together. What a bummer. I had to re-pin almost the entire row and start over. I sure wish I had a red light or something to warn me of the empty bobbin. So I just stopped went to Hancock for sewing machine oil and thread. Then back home to clean machine and fill the bobbin to begin again.

miss_ticky2 02-19-2011 01:02 PM

lol...I did the exact same thing last night

cjomomma 02-19-2011 01:07 PM

Must be somthing in the air. I did that today.

Raggiemom 02-19-2011 01:08 PM

I only did about half a row before realizing the bobbin was empty!

erstan947 02-19-2011 01:09 PM

Some one suggested using a full bobbin in both the top and bottom of your machine. Thus, you would know when the bottom bobbin is getting empty by the bobbin on the top. Just a thought:)

blossom808 02-19-2011 01:11 PM

I have done that too. I know its a bummer when you take it out and notice its not sewn. add me to the club too. Smiles to you.

marknfran 02-19-2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
Well ladies this morning I was working hard on the king size rag quilt that my son hired me to complete for a friends birthday. I was sewing very nicely on a long row thinking I was doing well. Well to my surprise when I reached the end to snip the thread. There was no bobbin thread. I had been sewing almost the entire row without the bobbin thread without noticing. All pins were gone and rows not sewn together. What a bummer. I had to re-pin almost the entire row and start over. I sure wish I had a red light or something to warn me of the empty bobbin. So I just stopped went to Hancock for sewing machine oil and thread. Then back home to clean machine and fill the bobbin to begin again.

I believe it!! Had only six inches to go and ran out of thread in the bobbin! Well, atleast it wasn't as tramatic as yours. However, a new invention must be out there to let us know when the bobbin is almost empty......come on inventors..... there is money to be made here with a patent!!!

marknfran 02-19-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Some one suggested using a full bobbin in both the top and bottom of your machine. Thus, you would know when the bottom bobbin is getting empty by the bobbin on the top. Just a thought:)

I am going to try that today!!!

BluegrassGurl 02-19-2011 01:14 PM

Another member here.... been there..done that.... and sit with my mouth agape for at least a minute or two! ;-)

RedGarnet222 02-19-2011 01:15 PM

Oh boy! I have done this many times...