Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Joining the club of the empty bobbin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joining-club-empty-bobbin-t101170.html)

joyce888 02-21-2011 06:56 AM

I bought A Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 a couple of years ago and it will stop and giving a warning signal button that has to be pushed to continue. It will only let you sew a couple of stitches before it stops again if you don't change the bobbin. Now if only it would not be so finickey about everything else!!

hperttula123 02-21-2011 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by marknfran

Originally Posted by chamby
Well ladies this morning I was working hard on the king size rag quilt that my son hired me to complete for a friends birthday. I was sewing very nicely on a long row thinking I was doing well. Well to my surprise when I reached the end to snip the thread. There was no bobbin thread. I had been sewing almost the entire row without the bobbin thread without noticing. All pins were gone and rows not sewn together. What a bummer. I had to re-pin almost the entire row and start over. I sure wish I had a red light or something to warn me of the empty bobbin. So I just stopped went to Hancock for sewing machine oil and thread. Then back home to clean machine and fill the bobbin to begin again.

I believe it!! Had only six inches to go and ran out of thread in the bobbin! Well, atleast it wasn't as tramatic as yours. However, a new invention must be out there to let us know when the bobbin is almost empty......come on inventors..... there is money to be made here with a patent!!!

One of my machines will stop sewing until I hit a button on the screen when the bobbin gets low.

mshawii 02-21-2011 10:04 AM

My Pfaff stops sewing when the bobbin gets to a certain amount, so that doesn't happen to me.

nanquilt 02-21-2011 10:18 AM

The Bernina 830 lets you know long before the bobbin is out.

annette1952 02-21-2011 09:38 PM

I have done that more than once. I try to watch it when I know it is getting low but..... LOL

Rettie V. Grama 02-22-2011 02:16 AM

i've done that many times. Finally after getting a new Kenmore machine,I learned to check to see if I have thread. Soetimes I still goof. My Kenmore has a window where I can see the bobbin, but that doesn't help on a long haul, I mean row. LOL Do I sound like a truck driver? I come from a family of brothers, nephews and cusins of long haul truckdrivers. Sorta picked up the language.

Originally Posted by chamby
Well ladies this morning I was working hard on the king size rag quilt that my son hired me to complete for a friends birthday. I was sewing very nicely on a long row thinking I was doing well. Well to my surprise when I reached the end to snip the thread. There was no bobbin thread. I had been sewing almost the entire row without the bobbin thread without noticing. All pins were gone and rows not sewn together. What a bummer. I had to re-pin almost the entire row and start over. I sure wish I had a red light or something to warn me of the empty bobbin. So I just stopped went to Hancock for sewing machine oil and thread. Then back home to clean machine and fill the bobbin to begin again.

Pat Murphy 02-23-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Some one suggested using a full bobbin in both the top and bottom of your machine. Thus, you would know when the bottom bobbin is getting empty by the bobbin on the top. Just a thought:)

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. From now on I'm sewing with 2 bobbins. Pat

vschieve 02-24-2011 02:38 PM

My Pfaff 2170 has a little red light that comes on as a warning bobbin thread is low. It comes on TOO early. But at least I know. So when I am embroiderying I just let it go til it runs out, then back up a few stitches after reloading. Thing is, I have 4 vintage machines which I prefer to do my regular sewing so I am in the same boat as the rest of you! Did it last night in fact on the ol' Pfaff 130.

vschieve 02-24-2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888
I bought A Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 a couple of years ago and it will stop and giving a warning signal button that has to be pushed to continue. It will only let you sew a couple of stitches before it stops again if you don't change the bobbin. Now if only it would not be so finickey about everything else!!

Just leave the door open to the bobbin; thats what my mentors told me the first time I took embroidery class.

vschieve 02-24-2011 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by goldendog55
My Viking does tell me when the bobbin runs out. It stops and puts a picture up on the screen, and won't let me sew anymore! It is so nice, because I used to do the same thing!

Now that is some brilliant engineering!