Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jordan Easiest Bargello question >

Jordan Easiest Bargello question

Jordan Easiest Bargello question

Old 11-28-2021, 12:13 AM

Default Jordan Easiest Bargello question

Has anyone made Donna Jordan's "Easiest Bargello Pattern In The World" with fabric that has stripes running lengthwise instead of width-wise? I have 2 yards of a lovely striped fabric that I'd like to use but I'm unsure how well it will turn out.
https://youtu.be/ypXEYbNSs6Y
Old 11-28-2021, 05:22 AM

I've watched the video and it looks interesting, but I don't have the super large cutting table that she has, so doubt if I'd have the room to try it.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:06 AM

One way to see how your fabric would look with this method is take a picture of it and then play with it in Microsoft Paint (or equivalent software). You can select a rectangle equivalent to a strip that you would cut and then cut it from the original picture and paste it into a region where you start building your digital quilt. Cut your rectangle different widths, just like the quilt pattern and then shift them relative to each other as you paste them. Each new strip will overhang a bit on one side and be short on the other, so to get the full effect, you'll need to digitally cut off the extra and shift it over to the other end. It will be a smidge tedious doing this, but it will/should be way faster than cutting and sewing fabric, and will prevent wasted fabric and effort if you don't like the result. Hope this helps!
Old 11-28-2021, 08:22 AM

I couldn't find an example of what you're talking about but I did find this neat example of incorporating long stripes with a bargello portion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VpQtUBMMls
Old 11-28-2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by platyhiker View Post
One way to see how your fabric would look with this method is take a picture of it and then play with it in Microsoft Paint (or equivalent software). You can select a rectangle equivalent to a strip that you would cut and then cut it from the original picture and paste it into a region where you start building your digital quilt. Cut your rectangle different widths, just like the quilt pattern and then shift them relative to each other as you paste them. Each new strip will overhang a bit on one side and be short on the other, so to get the full effect, you'll need to digitally cut off the extra and shift it over to the other end. It will be a smidge tedious doing this, but it will/should be way faster than cutting and sewing fabric, and will prevent wasted fabric and effort if you don't like the result. Hope this helps!
Brilliant idea!🏆
Old 11-28-2021, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I made one bargello quilt and one was enough. LOL
Old 11-29-2021, 12:04 PM

If you know the width of the fabric that Donna Jordan uses in the video, you could cut a piece of your striped fabric to that length. Give it a 90 degree turn and it is now oriented the same as her fabric.

I have made a bargello using ombre fabric and a focus fabric. I must say it was a thousand times easier than sewing all thosestrips together first.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0113-small-.jpg