Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judging for Quilt Shows >

Judging for Quilt Shows

Judging for Quilt Shows

Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

It was a valid question and concern and the comments have been very good. Quilting has changed in the last 25 or so years. There is new technology and certainly more supplies available than when I started. And in my 30+ yrs of judging, that has changed also. I remember hearing several years ago that the top winner in Paducah refused the prize money (she would have to give up the quilt) because the quilt could travel and win more money than the Paducah prize. My suggestion is if you want to compete then pick your shows. Many more local shows accept quilts from outside the area. It has become difficult for judges because sometme we know the quilts, have seen them at other shows, in magazines, on the internet and by this recognize the reputation of the quilter. And they don't always win the top prize at a show because there were better quilts.Years ago there were categories for amature and professional but not often any more. Don't let this discourage from entering in any quilt show. Comments from the judges can be very helpful in improving one's quilting skill.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:09 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
wow, that is a pretty derrogatory statement about Sharon. Do you actually know her or taken classes from her. I have and she is a wonderful talented person who is very generous with her knowledge. I have learned so much just from her youtube videos. Most credible quilt shows have different categories so I doubt if you or I will ever be up against her. Not to worry. Quilting is her livlihood and it would be mine too if I were as talented as she is. If you watch her youtubes you can see how she is trembling and its not from fear! In my town there are several professional quilters and they enter competitions constantly. For some people quilting is not just a hobby, its a job. Im surprised the moderator let your post go through.
Seriously?????????

You read this entire thread (which was from March) and couldn't detect the sarcasm??? You read the context in which the comment referencing Sharon was made - and the comment to which it was responding?

The only reason this thread resurfaced was because I linked to it on another current thread. So folks popped over and commented. They seemed to have understood the context.

So I really don't see what you find so disrespectful to Sharon. It was anything but.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM

One of the problems with sarcasm, etc. on the internet is how can one tell that something is in jest? I saw your unsmiley face icon and that is how I took that it was real sarcasm. There is a cute winking one that could we could use when we are kidding! :wink:
Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
One of the problems with sarcasm, etc. on the internet is how can one tell that something is in jest? I saw your unsmiley face icon and that is how I took that it was real sarcasm. There is a cute winking one that could we could use when we are kidding! :wink:
Ah, yes, but the rolling of the eye shows how I really felt about the previously made comment to which I was replying.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 PM

I would encourage you to enter shows. I began quilting in the fall of 2001 and entered a show the very first year. I thought I had won a ribbon, but as I got closer to my quilt hanging, I realized it said "Participant". This did not discourage me. The second year, I scribed for the judges and this was an incredible learning experience. The 3rd year I won 2 Blue Ribbons. The 5th year, I was juried into the Houston Show and in 2010, I had 2 quilts accepted into Paducah. I have scribed for a total of 5 different judges to date and in my experience they are very careful about not letting their personal preferences influence the judging process. The main reason good quilts do not win ribbons in any specific category is the competition in that category. I feel my growth as a quilter was accelerated by entering shows. Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM

This question is for any judges on the board if anyone knows the answer. Question about hand sewing binding down or can I machine stitch to front if entering in a contest. Thank you for your help. I love this board.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 AM

I am not a quilt "judge" but have entered a lot of quilt shows and down quite well. It has been my experience that it has been better for me to hand sew the binding to the back, because I can get it more perfect than sewing it down on the front by machine. I do tack the binding both ways but have never been able to master machine sewing the binding down to look as "perfect" as hand sewing it down --- so for my show quilts I always hand tack it to the back.

I make a lot of quilts in year's time and don't hesitate to sew the binding to the front of the quilt by machine if I am not going to show it. And I can get it to look pretty good, but it is never as perfect as I can get it sewing it by hand. Binding is one the of things that the judges do look at closely. If the technique you use for your binding is not perfect, then they are not going to go look any further especially in the big shows where the competition is very stiff. In a smaller or local show you could probably get by with sewing it on the front by machine. ------- Just my opinion for whatever it is worth. Hope it helps.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 AM

All I can say is to do the best you can do! Pick or create a pattern that really excites you, choose the fabrics that YOU like, not what others may think...this because you won't be happy throughout the making of the quilt if you continue to look at that one fabric that someone else chose over your choice wishing you had picked the other. A little thing like that can show in your work. I always shop for fabrics by myself when it is a major project that I want "just so." Most of the time my choices are questioned by friends until they see it all put together.

Once you have the fabrics and the pattern just give it your best shot. I couldn't believe my first win...actually a friend and my DH entered it for me because I thought it was a really stupid idea to put it in a show.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 AM
Banned

This from a quilt show judge. SewCute is correct. If you do the binding by machine it better be perfect. It is not discounted because it is machine sewed but a judge will look extra careful at the construction.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Another thing they will look at carefully are you corners. A nice, sharp miter seems to please them.