Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Neimer Patterns Are so Expensive. Why? >

Judy Neimer Patterns Are so Expensive. Why?

Judy Neimer Patterns Are so Expensive. Why?

Old 10-22-2014, 07:39 AM

Judy's patterns are clear and she makes the paper piecing easy to understand, once you read through the pattern and get an overall view of what you're going to do. Then, it's just step-by-step. The price includes all of the papers.

I recently finished the Desert Star pattern and will do the Bali Wedding Star one next.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM

I've done Mariner's Star and found an older version of Bali Wedding Star that I keep saying I am going to start!

I have to agree they are well worth the money. I've bought other paper piecing patterns that you have to make copies of and the sizing usually gets me into trouble.

I had no issues with how she showed to paper piece.....you don't have to chain piece, but it does help the quilt go together faster....and is more efficient than one block at a time.

I would definitely do another!
Old 10-22-2014, 02:03 PM

I have only done Judy's patterns, but will have no hesitation attempting to do anyone else's after working on Bali Wedding Star and Desert Sky. I will always prefer one where you get the newsprint papers with it. I do admit to having made a couple of extra copies to practice on.

This is truly another instance of "you get what you pay for."
Old 10-23-2014, 02:28 AM

Thank you for the wonderful information. I will add one of her beauties to my bucket list.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:54 AM

I have been in awe of her patterns for some time but never thought that I would tackle one. A local shop recently hosted classes on the Mariner's Compass quilt, so I signed up. I bought the pattern, fabric and went to the first class thinking 'what have I done- I will never be happy with my work on this'. WRONG!! It was amazing! The class was great, the pattern was perfect and I found her method for piecing logical and easy to follow. I am hooked. It blows me away that I can actually put together such a complicated looking quilt and have it turn out perfectly. Thank you Judy Niemeyer! I will be making more of her beautiful patterns.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:51 AM

Because she can! There is no way to justify $40 or more for a pattern. As long as enought quilters continue to pay her prices she will continue to charge outrageous amounts for her patterns.

Last edited by paoberle; 10-23-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:03 AM

Judy just had a big sale with 4 or 5 patterns listed at 58% off (to celebrate her 58th birthday). Although I have 2 file cabinet drawers full of her patterns, I could not resist the sale because I didn't have those particular patterns. The thing that is daunting to me is the cutting instructions. I have to read and re-read them to make sure I have it laid out correctly. I've only made one of her designs, Tropical Rainbow, but I am hooked. I fell in love with her patterns. And, with paper piecing, your quilt will come out as near to perfect as possible and points will be perfectly pointed, etc. When I completed my TR top, I measured it, and it was perfectly square - thanks to paper piecing!! I need to post a picture of my TR for everyone to see. I have Weeping Willow cut out in Queen Size ready to start.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:06 AM

Perhaps you could ask her but I would think that designers can charge whatever they think the market will tolerate. Otherwise there would be no sales.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
Because she can! There is no way to justify $40 or more for a pattern. As long as enought quilters continue to pay her prices she will continue to charge outrageous amounts for her patterns.
Saw a Redwork quilt on FB, Beautiful work! Followed the link, for the pattern only (not pre-printed on fabric) was $129.00!!!!! Seriously??
Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 AM

I thought to myself, even so, that is a lot of money for the papers and pattern. Then my mind backtracked to other considerations and the first one that popped up was the price of ink these days for the printer. OUCH! The sizing is easy to get and accurate printout, but the cost is prohibitive for printing very many pattern pieces. So, conclusion, maybe not such a huge price after all.