Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer Quiltworx patterns >

Judy Niemeyer Quiltworx patterns

Judy Niemeyer Quiltworx patterns

Old 07-23-2020, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I took a two day class with a certified instructor and after the second day I knew it wasn't for me. Too much prep work just for paper piecing. I did what was taught in class but when I finished it at home, I printed out the pattern pieces, left them whole and paper pieced it the regular way. I had enough fabric not to have to worry about exact amounts. My turned out just as nice as the others and I had mine finished in a lot less time. To put all those hours of extra prep work seemed a waste of time for no reason to me. All her quilt patterns are beautiful. If I do another one I will use the basic paper piecing method.
I'm assuming that the regular way is sewing the required line on the top of the pattern, with the fabric underneath. How does her method differ?
Old 07-23-2020, 11:59 AM

I'm another that has done a lot of paper piecing, so with her patterns I looked them over and then did them "my way" as I found it a lot easier and less time consuming.

If you are a beginner, it's probably best to follow the directions, but if you already know the procedure, you know how to achieve the results more than one way, so you do is easiest for you.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I would recommend to take a class for her method to know how. That's how you learn to incorporate the best of all the methods that works for you.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

I’ve made two of her patterns. Took a classes with the certified instructor. One was a small
wall hanging - I think it was called Leaf. Then did a quiktworx. Stained glass I think. Our shop had a thing where the certified instructor would Come once a month to help anyone with any pattern. We paid a small fee. I needed it for the leaf but not the quiltworx one I made. It didn’t draw me in but the results were great.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
Has anyone done one of her quilts? They are gorgeous, and I've fallen in love with Glacier Star. I'm wondering how difficult they are, given that a lot of it is curved piecing.
I've done a couple of her patterns. I wouldn't say they're difficult from a sewing perspective; it's more of an organizational challenge. The majority of the piecing is plain old paper piecing. The curved piecing is only in assembling the paper pieced sections, and the curves are large and gentle. I did a workshop with a certified instructor, and I only remember one person (of 14) fighting with the curves.

I find her patterns well written and fairly easy to follow. If you've never done a giant paper piecing project before, make sure you buy the most recent version of the pattern, as the instructions are much easier to follow.

I have about a dozen Judy N. patterns that I bought at a store closing. It will take me years, but I will get through them eventually!

Some people use other techniques to paper piece her patterns. I've gone the other way; I now use her methods for all my paper piecing. I like how she divides the pattern into sections and bags them. You might have 25 bags to get through, but each one is like a little free-standing project, so it's easy to stay organized and see your progress.

Based on your other quilts, I'm sure you could handle a Glacier Star. Have fun!
Old 07-24-2020, 05:36 AM

OK, thanks all! Glacier Star has been ordered. No certified shop within a hundred miles, for some reason. So classes are unlikely, too. I'm going to be greedy and keep this one for me!
Old 07-24-2020, 06:38 AM

There are only a couple of videos featuring Glacier Star on Youtube. There are many from Quiltworx. Too many for me to recommend one over the other. Some things I realized early on. When you get your pattern in, make sure you have all the pages you are supposed to have. Quiltworx will send you anything that is left out. All you have to do is contact them. I had to read the instructions several times to understand them. Her patterns can be done by a sharp beginner. There is a very active FB group and one of the certified instructors is online each weekend. If you have specific questions and can note section, page and item, I am sure someone here can help.

A lot of the papers can be stacked and cut apart at the same time, especially the Templates and the larger pieces of the patterns. They stress in their instructions to make sure you have the same sheets together and they are all oriented the same way before you start cutting. If there are lots of small pieces on a page, then I just cut them one at a time with my rotary cutter. Judy's bag system works and will help with your project. I found that putting her pattern in a 3 ring binder with a sheet cover in each section of the binder worked as well as the gallon bags. I did have to put a binder clip at the top of the sheet cover because everything tended to want to slide out. If you don't have an Add-A Quarter ruler, it would be wise to get one. They work. Judy, sews the same piece of Template to her pattern for all the same sections, in one sewing session. That helps her go a lot faster. For me, I always sew one whole section together to make sure I understand and have the right pieces and colors where they are supposed to be.

And last, but not least.....Scotch tape can be used to put your pattern back together if you manage to have to un-sew too many times. I use a 1.6 stitch length. Any shorter and I saw seams starting to come apart almost immediately especially on the edges of the pattern. Have Fun and show off your fabulous project!

Old 07-24-2020, 08:16 PM

All good things to know, Barb. Thank you. 🙂
Old 07-24-2020, 10:16 PM

Have done 2 of her patterns. The Bali Wedding Star as a wedding gift,& the Bali also as a bed runner & when unpacking from moving- her Bird of Paradise. The last is a discontinued pattern. I bought it when it was first out, bought all the fabrics , & then had to move. Two houses later, I unearthed the Bird of Paradise & completed it. Totally forgot I had it!! Anyway- as others have said/warned- do read carefully, cut even more cautiously & enjoy the progress. These patterns are not the type to rush through! When done you will be so proud of yourself & you will have a beautiful work of art. Brag on & pat yourself on the back for your efforts!
sewverybusy1
Old 07-25-2020, 01:11 PM

So I looked at the videos last night and noticed something that looked odd. I cut templates too for paper piecing, but I cut just a little over the size I need. A 3/8" seam allowance or thereabouts. It looks like her patterns have an exact seam allowance on the side that will be the next one sewn, but a full inch on the other sides! Is that right?!? That looks like it will waste half your fabric.

If so, I'll do the cutting my way.