Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki 2010 feed dog marks >

Juki 2010 feed dog marks

Juki 2010 feed dog marks

Old 10-26-2016, 01:11 PM

Default Juki 2010 feed dog marks

I am sure hoping that the Juki owners or repair experts here can help me. I am rather discouraged.

I have 2 quilts sandwiched and ready to be straight-line quilted with a walking foot on this wonderful machine; however, in running settings and test sandwiches, the lower feed teeth are making visible (and somewhat alarming) indentations in the backing.

The presser foot pressure has been set anywhere from zero to the halfway mark. The marks are much less at zero, but then there is some distortion when going over seam allowances. It's pretty discouraging to take perfectly straight seams and then have them made wonky in quilting.

I also tried the regular stitching foot, with little pressure, and there weren't marks. However, that didn't allow for enough push to keep the seam allowances undistorted.

I called 2 local dealers. With one, I was able to talk to the technician, who tried to get me to have the machine "tuned up" and finally said, after I pressed the point, that he had never seen the problem I was describing.

The other shop owner asked me 2 interesting questions: do the marks come out after washing and could it be that the batt (QD request) was just too thin for such a strong machine?

Ok, so the marks do seem to come out after washing, but I am not really comfortable with the idea of the teeth hitting that hard. And indeed, the problem is somewhat reduced visibly by making the batt a bit thicker. But both quilts are sandwiched and pinned.

Could it be that the teeth are too sharp? Is my backing (navy Moda marble) just showing this more than another fabric would?

grateful for any opinions,
Charlotte

Last edited by charlottequilts; 10-26-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: too long
Old 10-26-2016, 03:21 PM

Could you post a picture of the marks? I'm having a hard time visualizing what they would look like.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:37 PM

Yes, I think it might be the dark backing showing it much more than usual. Mine always did this when using the walking foot, I used my straight stitch foot whenever possible but that's not always an option.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 PM

The Juki 2010 and the Juki 2000 are machines that I'm seriously considering for quilting so I hope some other owners out there can weigh in, I don't want a machine that's going to hurt my fabric...
Old 10-26-2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
The Juki 2010 and the Juki 2000 are machines that I'm seriously considering for quilting so I hope some other owners out there can weigh in, I don't want a machine that's going to hurt my fabric...
That's why posting this was such a difficult decision. It truly is a great machine. It's sturdy, and it feels sort of silky when you sew with it, for lack of a better word. This is my first worry with it. I previously quilted one on it with the thicker "select" batt and a batik back, and no marks were evident.

charlotte
Old 10-26-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
Could you post a picture of the marks? I'm having a hard time visualizing what they would look like.
I tried from my ipad (unsuccessfully) and will try again tomorrow. They look like tire tracks, just out to the side of the seam and parallel to it. Thanks for asking.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 10-26-2016, 08:03 PM

Try contacting Jairo Duran -- he's a technician at Juki's US headquarters in Florida. I have a newish 2000Qi and he was really helpful and responsive with an issue I was having. His email address is [email protected] (it will help if you can send him some clear photos showing him exactly what the problem is).

charlottequilts, I don't have a good word to describe it, but I really love the way it sews - yes, sort of "silky."

austinite, FWIW, I love my 2000Qi!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:12 AM

Here's an update. It looks like this will have a happy ending. Elbert at Juki looked at my pictures and saw that the feed teeth were unlevel. He had me call on skype. DH and I turned the machine onto its back and, with great trepidation, took off the bottom plate. He helped locate the right screw and make an adjustment. (I was barely breathing.) Then I put it back together and did some test sewing. It was greatly improved, and any marks left rubbed away with my finger, unlike before. The moda marble has kind of a soft nap to it.

I am very grateful for another referral, McGargantuette, and for the feedback from Quilts4Charity - you are the first person who's said you'd seen this, too.

I hope I haven't deterred anyone from buying one of these. Once you sew on one, you'll see what why people love them. It was a "love at first sight" purchase for me, and I am a serious ditherer and analyzer.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Here's an update. It looks like this will have a happy ending. Elbert at Juki looked at my pictures and saw that the feed teeth were unlevel. He had me call on skype. DH and I turned the machine onto its back and, with great trepidation, took off the bottom plate. He helped locate the right screw and make an adjustment. (I was barely breathing.) Then I put it back together and did some test sewing. It was greatly improved, and any marks left rubbed away with my finger, unlike before. The moda marble has kind of a soft nap to it.

I am very grateful for another referral, McGargantuette, and for the feedback from Quilts4Charity - you are the first person who's said you'd seen this, too.

I hope I haven't deterred anyone from buying one of these. Once you sew on one, you'll see what why people love them. It was a "love at first sight" purchase for me, and I am a serious ditherer and analyzer.

hugs,
Charlotte
Just in passing, I spoke to Elbert once regarding a problem I had with another Juki model. I found him to be very knowledgeable. A name to remember. I think his full name is Elbert Shirley. A real gentleman.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:37 PM

Thanks you everyone for posting updates. I'm saving for one of those fabulous Jukis, I tried one out at two different dealers and loved the way it sewed and handled. Good to know it's a minor issue that's easily fixed and that Juki will stand behind it. Can't wait to get one!!