Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki 2010 for quilting >

Juki 2010 for quilting

Juki 2010 for quilting

Old 12-27-2016, 05:21 PM

Default Juki 2010 for quilting

Hello all! I am just about ready to buy a Juki 2010 to set up just for FMQ. I want to set it into a counter I sit at to quilt, with the needle facing me, not with the machine perpendicular to me. Does this make sense? If I do this, how much depth of counter do you think I need? The counter I am working with is 24 inhes deep. If I set it down into the counter, I will not buy the little plastic 'table' that is available.

I am in the beginning of a redesign of the quilt room I have to be able to accomodate a Pfaff set up all the time, as well as a machine to FMQ set up as well. Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated!
Old 12-27-2016, 06:13 PM

It will be oriented like my Babylock Tiara which I love. If you recess it into the counter, it should work great. The only problem I can foresee is that the controls will be on the side and changing the bobbin will be somewhat more difficult. I imagine you will work around these issues and have a great set-up. You will likely hear from others here who have done something similar. Best wishes!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:49 AM

I am not sure, ut I think the bobin is at the end, so it would be facing me, making it easier.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:03 AM

I agree: changing the bobbin should be easier. I love your idea of working "the other way". I guess you would have to decide the distance you want between the needle and the edge of your counter, and take it from there.

I quilt on a TL2010Q the "traditional" way. I have about 7.5 inches between the needle and the edge of the table. My machine is set into the table. Sometimes I think I would like more space between the needle and the edge of the table. But it's too late now to do much about it.

By the way, I think you'll love the Juki. I've had mine for almost three years. It's just great.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:25 AM

I have a TL2010Q. It is 18 inches on the outside length without the table (that includes the handwheel which sticks out a little more than the base). I have the table on mine which you cannot use on 24 inches of depth the way you are orienting your machine. I absolutely love my Juki. I bought a clear open toe quilting foot on Ebay that I like better than the two heavy metal closed-toe feet that come with it for quilting. I also bought 100 bobbins for about $20.00 including shipping. I am really happy with this machine and wish the same for you.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:44 AM

The only drawback I see to having the needle face you is that you will lose the knee lift capability. One of my favorite things. I measured my machine and the width of it with the power cords (which will be your depth and back of your machine) is 20 inches, if you don't want to squish the power cord too bad. I have mine set down into a table at about 4 1/4 inches from the front set the normal way. I have 3 feet behind the machine and 4 feet to the left of the machine. I suggest you try it both ways. 24 inches will not be very big once the machine is sunk into the table.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:45 AM

I have mine in a SewEzi table and there seems to be too many inches to the left. However, some here have had tables cut and machines dropped into place by clever woodworkers in the family. No reason why you couldn't.

The only thing I'd do is leave the door for the bobbin alone. It will lift out of the way for changing. I'd put the cutout around the door the same way the inserts for SewEzi do.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:37 AM

Could you please tell me the eBay site where you bought the open toe and any item specifics? Also I am looking for a walking foot with a guide for my juki 2010, if any one has suggestions, I would appreciate.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Barbpr View Post
Could you please tell me the eBay site where you bought the open toe and any item specifics? Also I am looking for a walking foot with a guide for my juki 2010, if any one has suggestions, I would appreciate.
I don't understand why Juki didn't make the walking foot for the 2010 with holes to accommodate a quilting guide ....
Old 12-28-2016, 11:04 AM

The way I am redesigning the room, there will be an 'L' of 24 inch counter. See the 90 degree corner? The Pfaff will be centered on the smaller portion, the Juki on the longer section. There will be a lot of counter space to hold the weight of quilt being quilted.

I hadn't thought of the loss of the knee lift or east access to the wheel to lift the needle. I may have to rethink how I set the machine. I won't have the dh cut the drop for the machine until I try it both ways, I guess.