Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki TL 2010 >

Juki TL 2010

Juki TL 2010

Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 AM

Default Juki TL 2010

I have a new Juki TL 2010 and am having trouble with the thread cutter. When I use it, it cuts the thread so short, that when I start stitching again, it unthreads itself. I have fiddled with the top tension ad nauseum. I think I have the other tension and the bobbin tension right where they need to be.
Has anyone with the Juki TL 2010 had this trouble? Can you help? I also have a Juki HZL 600 and have no trouble with the thread cutter. I love that foot pedal.
Judy
Old 03-20-2014, 02:59 AM

I have one and had the same issue. At the top where you put the thread through the two little holes before going through the first tension discs, just put it through the first hole instead of both. That fixed it for me. Let me know if that doesn't make sense. I absolutely LOVE my Juki!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:05 AM

I love my Juki but am having a hard time getting a 1/4 inch seam. What do you use for a foot?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 AM

I have the same problem with the short thread tail. I posted a thread on this board a couple of months ago and several suggested not to use all three holes in the first tension bar as mentioned above. However I have found that if my VERY first needle down-thrust is through fabric (not just thin air before stitching through fabric) the thread catches and I Can keep sewing without it coming out of the needle.
as for your 1/4 inch foot I bought a generic high shank 1/4" foot with a guide on eBay and it works great. I will try to find the reference on that foot for you. I love love love my Juki!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:12 AM

My Juki came with a 1/4" foot. My machine also unthreads itself when I use the thread cutter and some threads are worse for this than others. I find any thread that is the least bit stretchy just springs back when the thread cutter is used. My 100% polyester thread seems to be worse for this than my thread that has some cotton in it. Loosening tension and using only the one hole of the thread guide at the top has also helped some. This is the only complaint that I have with this machine other than I don't know how to use the automatic needle threader although I have read the directions and tried to follow the pictures in the manual countless times without success.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:28 AM

I don't have a Juki but I do have the same problems with my Bernina 710. So I have just retrained myself to pull out a little bit of thread each time I use the thread cutter. Problem solved!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 AM

I haven't had that problem with my Juki, but I'm another one who can't figure out the automatic needle threader. Good thing I can still see the hole in the needle! To solve the 1/4" foot problem, I use the compensating foot that came with the machine. It works great for most seams. I did buy a generic 1/4" foot and it didn't work - the hole in the foot wasn't lined up with the needle. I'd also be interested to know where on ebay Jeanne found one that works.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:49 AM

[QUOTE=pinkcastle; To solve the 1/4" foot problem, I use the compensating foot that came with the machine. It works great for most seams. I did buy a generic 1/4" foot and it didn't work - the hole in the foot wasn't lined up with the needle. I'd also be interested to know where on ebay Jeanne found one that works.[/QUOTE]

Which foot is the "compensating foot?? I was really surprised that a machine which is marketed to quilters did not come with a 1/4 inch foot. I should really email the company and point that out to them.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 AM

Here are the two gadgets that I found and am using on my Juki TL2010i that really help me get the 1/4 inch seam allowance. The first is a 1/4" foot with a guide. It is on ebay for $12.95, ebay item number 271381455391, the title is "High Shank 1/4" Quilting Seam Foot with Guide for Janome 1600P Series 767820105". I emailed them first and asked if it would fit the new Juki and they said yes, and indeed it does and works great. If you google the model number 767820105 you will find several online shops that sell it too. I think the Juki 2010 and the Janome 1600 are similar machines. I wish Juki sold more accessories for home quilters, but I think most of their business is industrial uses.
In addition to that, I take the 'belt and suspenders' approach and ALSO use the Juki single needle T-guage #25878 that I bought directly from www.sharpsewing.com. It was about $18 if I recall. You screw it onto the bottom plate of your Juki, and then but the T-bar up against the guide bar on the presser foot, and together this gives you 3 to 4 inches of a 'wall' to run the edges of your fabric against to keep them straight and with a perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance.
Hope these help you like they did me---made all the difference!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:19 AM

I don't have the thread problem with mine, but I'm glad for the info about the quarter-inch foot. Now if they would just make a walking foot with a guide bar!

Guide bar aside--I love my Juki!