Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki TL 2200QVP mini >

Juki TL 2200QVP mini

Juki TL 2200QVP mini

Old 12-27-2018, 02:55 AM

Default Juki TL 2200QVP mini

Hello I’m thinking of buying this machine, I make large quilts and have been hand quilting them, but it’s so time consuming, what machine do people use for quilting.
i have an Elna 6003 which does fancy stitches, so was thinking more of a plain stitch machine.
Any recommendations?
Old 12-27-2018, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

here is a previous/recent thread about it Thinking about getting a Juki straight stitch machine
Old 12-27-2018, 10:31 AM

Hi Linda,
I am mostly a hand quilter, but I do some machine quilting also. I have a 70's era Kenmore, but I never felt it would be up to the task of the hours it would have to run to machine quilt. I eventually purchased a Baby Lock Jane (similar to the Brother 1500 and the Baby Lock Quitlers Edition - maybe they are all exactly the same). Anyway, that was about 6 years ago. I bought it from a dealer for about $750? - it was a floor model, and it was a good decision for me. It is easy to use, and I can get a decent free motion quilting stitch pretty consistently. Also, my piecing has become more accurate - I think because of the quarter inch foot that came with it, and also because it only does a straight stitch.
Here is a description of my machine, but I think you will find these common features on this class of machine. It is somewhat portable (that is - not built into a table or frame), a 9 inch harp, straight stitch only, 1500 spm, rotary hook vertical bobbin, needle down button, and automatic thread cutter. The thread tension, presser foot pressure and feed dog height are all easily and accurately adjustable. Mine came with an extension table, a bunch of feet - which included a very nice walking foot, an accurate 1/4 inch foot and a free motion quilting foot. It also included a knee presser foot lift rod, which would probably be nice to use, but cannot be used with an extension table, and a few other accessories. The most important things to me are the speed, the adjustable height feed dogs, the straight stitch only, the large harp, and the rotary hook bobbin. I really think they all contribute to a good fmq stitch, and it does a fine job with the walking foot too. I am learning how to do ruler foot quilting - not sure how much I love that. I think the motor is a little sturdier than most domestic sewing machines. I never noticed mine getting even a little warm, and certainly never having an overheated motor smell.
Hand quilting is my first love. It is really my favorite part of the process, and the part I am the most accomplished at. Baby quilts can be relatively quick, but the full and queen size can take months. So, I have been working on my machine quilting skills. Just like with hand quilting, the more you do it, the better you get. And the more you do it, the more quickly you will incorporate ideas about patterns, density, designs, thread etc. Anyway, that has been my experience. I doubt that I will ever be as good a machine quilter as I am a hand quilter, and I doubt that I will ever love it as much. But it is still fun to do, and I look forward to the quilting just as much, whether it is by hand or machine.
If at all possible,test drive a few machines to get a feel for what you are buying. Before I bought my machine, I tried out a few different brands at a big quilt show. That was somewhat helpful, but I really was too inexperienced to make a truly informed decision. What I saw that I really liked were the big slippery tables many of them were installed in - but I didn't get one of those :-(.
I am sure you will make a good decision for you. There are many brands out there - and also lots of happy quilters. I am happy to answer any questions you might have about the Baby Lock Janes, or bumbling machine quilters - my two areas of expertise.
Diane - in Philly
Old 12-27-2018, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

I use either my Babylock Jane or my Juki TL98QE both straight stitch only machines. I love both and I do sew 3 - 6 hours most days at least 6 days a week. I have had them 9-10 years. I maintain them myself. Oil and cleaning is about it. They have not been in for repairs.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:40 PM

I bought a 2200 QVP for FMQing last March. I've only quilted one large quilt and one small quilt on it, but it was a dream. I quilted a 65 x 90 (I think) quilt on it last summer and it was so much easier than trying to do it on my little Bernina with the tiny throat. I really like mine.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:10 AM

I use my Janome 1600P. Wonderful machine....straight stitch only.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:40 AM

Another vote for the Juki TL series of straight-stich-only machines! The harp space is wide but also tall giving you great space and visibility while FMQ'ing. I have the TL2200QVP Mini and love it!
Old 12-29-2018, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

You will love the Juki TL2200QVP Mini for machine quilting! I have a Juki 2010Q which is basically the same machine, just one model before they came out with the mini. I quilted on it for years before taking the plunge and buying a Juki sit down longarm. I even did big quilts on my 2010. The mini is really just an updated version of the 2010. These are great machines for quilting... it's what they do best, tho they are good for piecing too. Not expensive, either.