Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
jukie 98qe >

jukie 98qe

jukie 98qe

Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
I have much better luck if I use a topstitching needle, it has a larger eye so less friction on the thread. And make sure to change the needle often. You may need to use more than one needle on a large quilt.

Don't be afraid to change the bobbin tension if necessary. I usually have to experiment a little on each quilt before I get it just right. And keep the machine clean...take the bobbin case out and clean underneath in case there's lint clogging things up.
I have a Juki too. I have to agree about cleaning it often and changing the needle often. I don't use a frame (hope to get one someday),but the last quilt I was quilting was driving me crazy. The thread shredded or I had knots on the bottom. After I changed to needle all was well. Could of saved myself lots of frustration if I would have changed it right away. Silly me.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:26 PM

you might need to take your machine in to get the timing checked. That same thing happened with my Janome 1600P, which is the "same" as the Juki you have adn when I took it in, he said that it was the timing and after he fixed it, it was perfect! I wasn't using it on a frame, just normal quilting, but the same things were happening. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 AM

OK, I JUST bought the same machine with a gracie frame. I was having the same problem -- just never could get the tension right. Then, after fighting with it, debating returning the machine under warranty, etc. etc., I discovered it was ME. I was not putting the presser foot down! :oops: In which case, the tension discs do not engage, and you end up with HORRIBLE knots on the bottom.
I'm sure you're smarter than I am, but I thought I'd share just in case this was the issue.
Also, you might try changing the bobbin tension.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

Are you threading the bobbin correctly? That happened to me even though I'm a complete novice :oops: and I spent 68$ on a problem that wasn't there :roll:
Old 10-31-2008, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justquiltin'
OK, I JUST bought the same machine with a gracie frame. I was having the same problem -- just never could get the tension right. Then, after fighting with it, debating returning the machine under warranty, etc. etc., I discovered it was ME. I was not putting the presser foot down! :oops: In which case, the tension discs do not engage, and you end up with HORRIBLE knots on the bottom.
I'm sure you're smarter than I am, but I thought I'd share just in case this was the issue.
Also, you might try changing the bobbin tension.
I am sooooo gald you admitted to doing that. I thought I was the only one who had done that. I feel better now.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 PM

Thank you all.
I think i will try to get some of those topstiching needles and.......
Yeah when I first got it I did not put the presser foot down didn't know you were supposed to. :wink:

After reading directions (my hubby taught me to do this last) I found out just what I was supposed to do. :?:
I totally agree with keeping clean. Hubby fixed me a small air comprsser it sits under the frame. I clean all three machines without having to move it at all. Better than canned air. Cheaper too.
You gals are GREAT!!!
Thanks
Barb