Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JukiTL98QE or Brother PQ 1500S >

JukiTL98QE or Brother PQ 1500S

JukiTL98QE or Brother PQ 1500S

Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM

Thank you all for your comments. It looks like I can't
go wrong with either one. The Brother is available in town for $1149, but I can have either machine shipped to me for a few hundred dollars less, even including shipping. Not sure what to do.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Originally Posted by JudeWill
Well, I just bought a Brother XL2600i.
This is the same machine that I have had for several years. I love it for doing everything except actually quilting a quilt. It has made several quilts, countless clothing items and several hundred purses and bags. It has never given me any trouble at all! It came from Walmart as a gift because I didn't know if I really wanted to get back into sewing on a regular basis, and now that I use it daily I would't trade it for the world. But I am however going (hopefully) Sunday to get that Brother PQ1500 that has been calling out to me! lol Now I will have little Brother and big Brother.

Good luck to everyone looking for a machine!
Thanks so much for telling me that! So happy to hear that!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:46 PM

I bought mine (Juki) online from Ken's Sewing and got it for a lot less.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM

Just tonight I spoke with my friend about replacing my Brother PC3000 which I paid $700 for ten years ago ... or maybe a little longer. I told her "now I know why I never keep quilting once I start to do so." I have had it in 3 times in the last eight months because it repeatedly sews the zig zag stitch with a lot of vertical stitches. I brought it home (again) last week and wound two bobbins with Gutterman thread in case the Coats & Clark thread was the problem. I sewed last night and got the zig zag problem again. She sews on Berninas and loves them ~ I'd buy one if I were employed. The biggest point she made is to make sure you get lessons and can get it serviced.
DI
Old 02-12-2010, 04:53 AM

Good morning. I have an assortment of machines including a 1974 Sears, a Baby Lock embroidery, a Gammill Statler Stitcher and my favorite, the Brother 1500. I purchased it about 1 1/2 years ago and find that is the machine I go to by choice, especially if I just need to make a quick repair on anything. I pd $1000 then and have seen that model at my local Barnes near Akron, Oh used for $599 and online for about that. Good luck and you won't go wrong with either.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 PM

There's actually a third almost identical machine, the Babylock Quilters Choice Pro. I got mine about 5 years ago to use on a frame and chose it because I liked the dealer better than the Brother dealer and there wasn't a Juki dealer nearby. I was lucky to hit a sale and got it for 799. I now have an HQ16 but that dealer urged me to keep it for piecing. I thought he was nuts, since i'd been using a top Viking. Well, I just had my first problem with the Viking after about seven years and it will be in the shop for a few weeks, so set up the Babylock--and really like it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. They are all built like tanks and behave very nicely.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I have the Brother PQ1500S, and have quilted queen size and one king size quilts with it. Never had a problem; I bought my DIL a brother and always recommend the brand. I am currently piecing with the Brother 4000D. Never heard of needing a special oil. I also own the Elna Quilter Dream. I am looking to sell the Brother 1500 as I upgraded to HQ16.
I have been all over the internet tonight looking at Brother 1500 S machines. Is yours for sale yet. Pauline
Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Wish you were closer. I have a Brother 1500 I want to sell.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:00 AM

Thnx for all the good reports on the Brother 1500 S. I Am thinking seriously about getting one.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I have been wondering the same question. I have a "walmart special" cheapo machine that is a Brother. I have had it for 4 years the poor thing has never been to the shop, I clean it here at the house and no matter what I do to the poor thing it keeps working and has never caused me any trouble. SO I was going to just stay with the Brother brand. But after reading what Minnow wrote I am scared <nail biting>. I just looked and I can get the Juki online cheaper than I can get the Brother online or at my local dealer.

I DON'T KNOW!!!!!

Thank you Joan for asking this question!

Boy it makes me feel sad when these lower end Brothers get a bad rap. Yes, I know there are duds, but there have been problems with the higher end name brand machines too. I have been using a lower end Brother XR-52 for 7 years and it has never been to the shop, never failed me yet, doesn't need oiling, never had a tension problem, sews through anything and does a good job with FMQ. The problems there are me. I have wrestled a king size STID project through it too. I rarely change a needle and have cleaned out the bobbin area exactly once. We got my daughter in law a different version of a lower end machine in a different state and it worked right out of the box. I'm the only one who uses it and it has never given me a lick of problems. Thank you for letting me give my little machine a pat on the back, publicly! (Watch, now I'll go in there to sew and it will explode!!!)