Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: June Tailor Shape Cut Slotted Ruler ???

June Tailor Shape Cut Slotted Ruler ???

I was thinking of buying a June Tailor Shape Cut Slotted Ruler but I am not sure of the best size. Would 12" x 12" be good for cutting strips from yardage or would the 12" x 18" be better? There is a significant difference in price, understandably, but I don't want to pay more if it is not necessary. Thanks for your opinions.

I have both, and each is very good. However, I find that I use the 12 x 12 more. It is a handier size and is at the front of my "ruler rack." I use mine to cut everything. I don't think I could quilt without this ruler. The 12" x 18" would cut more strips, but the 12" x 12" does that too...just fewer at a time, obviously.

Dina

Have you considered the Creative Grids Non-Slip Stripology ruler? I love mine.
    It's a bit pricey but totally worth it. I got mine from Fat Quarter Shop.

I have the 12 x 12 and didn't even know for a long time there was a larger one, and have not felt that I need it. Look at them and decide which one would be easier for you to use and store. Mine sits nicely on top of a shelf, the larger one would not fit and not sure where I would store it when not in use.

I have the 12 x 12 and it works fine for me. Although I don't make tons of quilts with strips in them. My friend who has familial involuntary tremors couldn't manage without hers as it keeps the blade in the slot for her.

EasyPeasy is right about considering the Stripology ruler. It is much better then the June Taylor in my opinion.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I have the 12 x 12 and didn't even know for a long time there was a larger one, and have not felt that I need it. Look at them and decide which one would be easier for you to use and store. Mine sits nicely on top of a shelf, the larger one would not fit and not sure where I would store it when not in use.
    Same with me
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    there is a you tube video using this to cut diamonds and hexies, it looked so easy. I have one but never used it but now I'm thinking of tryting to see if its easier.
    Judy

I have the 24x20 and I don't know what I would do without it. I just love it. I keep it in the box which it came in and store it standing behind my desk. It keeps it very nice. It has slots that are 2 1/2 inches apart. I would like one that has smaller marks on it also.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
    I have the 24x20 and I don't know what I would do without it. I just love it. I keep it in the box which it came in and store it standing behind my desk. It keeps it very nice. It has slots that are 2 1/2 inches apart. I would like one that has smaller marks on it also.
    I have this one but I am thinking of actually cutting it down so that it is an easier size for me to handle like 24"x 16". It is the only one that you don't have to fold the fabric into 4ths.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have the June Tailor 12" and really liked it but I subsequently bought the Stripology ruler. If I were going to invest I definitely would go with the Stripology ruler as it is more versatile. Just my suggestion.

I had the 12 inch for years before investing in the 18 inch. I love my 18 inch one, but storage isn't a problem for me, it fits in my ruler rack. I got my big one with a coupon at JAF, but they only sell it online.

Blog Entries
    I have the largest one and love it!
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

I have the 12 x 12 and use it more than I use rulers. Having the 18" would be nice, but not really necessary. Besides cutting strips, I've used mine to sub cut blocks and to trim/square blocks.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    I have the 12 X 18 and I love it.
    I used it to cut all my fabric.
    Veronica

Blog Entries
    I love the 12 x 12. The 12 x 18 is too floppy for me
    Patski
    always learning

I have the 12x12" one. The 12x18" was too expensive for me. It works fine for me. Just make sure you have either a 45mm or 60mm rotary cutter as I found the 28mm I had didn't cut properly with the ShapeCut.

I have several June Taylor slotted rulers and use them constantly. My favorite is the one that I use for cutting 2 1/2" strips. I have two of the ones that have half inch markings. I use them every time I cut fabric. I use painters tape slivers to mark where I want to cut ( e.g., every 4"). I also have one that is marked every fourth of an inch. It is a small ruler; but I use it often. Finally, I have her ruler that measures eighths. Today, I had to cut lots of 2 7/8" squares. The ruler was a life saver! I have an electric Accuquilt Go and lots of dies; but I find that I do most of my cutting using June Taylbor slotted rulers. I love them!

I like the larger one better, can cut more without repositioning
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I have both the 12" and the 18". I find I use the 18" more often but it's just a matter of convenience. You can, obviously, cut more strips before you have to move the ruler. I used the 12" for many years before I found the 18" and I still use it when I don't need the full 18".
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Blog Entries
    I have the 12X18 and love it. It is such a time saver.

Blog Entries
    I have the larger June Tailor and love it for cutting jelly strips and charms. But mine cracked in the center, and I have it now duct taped together so I can still use it. If they redesign it a bit I will buy a replacement. I also have the Stripology and HATE it. It is way too easy to miscut because the markings are so hard to tell apart. If she had designed it with 2 different color markings it would be much easier to use. I also don't like to have to fold my fabric twice to use it. This makes for more of a chance of crooked cuts.

I have two of hers. The large one has slots every half inch and I easily mark the slots I'm cutting with a small piece of green frog tape. This allows me to cut the correct size I need. Found a small June Taylor made for log cabin strips at Tuesday Mornings for less than $8....haven't use it yet but I'm sure I will love it too.

I use the 12x12 and it's perfect. I actually have two of these, bought on sale at Joann's. I think this ruler is perfect.

Blog Entries
    I have three or four June Taylor rulers and use them all. The ones I use most often are the 12" and the Square Up.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast