Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: June Tailor shape cut strip ruler

June Tailor shape cut strip ruler

Bought the June Tailor shape cut strip ruler at Joann's today with a 40% off coupon. I have almost 4000 1.5x1.5 squares to cut from 17 colors of yardage. Do you think this will work?it looks like iwould be amazing for accuracy and a huge time saver. Figured I would ask for opinions before I open it.

Thanks!

May I ask what pattern are you planning to make? Maybe there is a short-cut. My arm feels
    faint just thinking of all those little squares you're planning to cut. LOL

A lot of people love that ruler. I didn't. I thought it was too flimsy.

I love my JT shape cut strip ruler; used it for a TIC.

As for it being flimsy, you do have to be careful about keeping your rotary blade straight.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    May I ask what pattern are you planning to make? Maybe there is a short-cut. My arm feels
    faint just thinking of all those little squares you're planning to cut. LOL
    Im doing a Mario quilt along. It's postage stamp style. The good news is that it's a block of the month style, so the cutting can be somewhat spread out. As for a shortcut, I was kind of hoping this would be it, lol. So far I'm cutting strips, then stacking 3 of them folded and cutting the squares, so getting 6.
    http://cuttopieces.blogspot.com/2012...ilt-along.html

I love the June Tailor Shape Cut strip ruler. It really helps when I am cutting strips.

I decided to just go for it, and I LOVE it. For this purpose, it will making the cutting take a fraction of the time and be so much more accurate. Thanks for the input!

MCH
    I put a ruler next to where I want to make the cut. That seems to stabilize the JT ruler. The JT ruler does help with accuracy.

To clarify, if I'm cutting 3" strips, I would place a ruler on the JT ruler between the 3" and the 3 1/2" slot. It works!!
    MCH aka PansyRose
    "Any day that you get see the morning, you've got work to do and a blessing to be."

I love my June Tailor strip cutter ruler. Use it lots

I've had mine for about 10 years or more and I love it...I use it all the time. I had a crack in my edge after quite a few years, so I went around the edge with clear strapping tape...the kind with the fiber that runs through it....it doesn't interfere with the cutting grooves, but gives it a bit of extra strength.

I love my JT strip cutter. To make things go faster, you can cut several strips at once-- every 1 1/2 inches-- 1 1/2", 3", 4 1/2", 6" etc. Then turn the mat around and cut in the other direction every 1 1/2 inches. Hope that makes sense.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
    I love my JT strip cutter. To make things go faster, you can cut several strips at once-- every 1 1/2 inches-- 1 1/2", 3", 4 1/2", 6" etc. Then turn the mat around and cut in the other direction every 1 1/2 inches. Hope that makes sense.
    Thats exactly what I'm doing. Very fast and very accurate! Im getting 224 squares cut and only having to rotate the ruler once. And they are all even. To the poster that mentioned adding a ruler for stability, that's brilliant! It helps keep the ruler from sticking to my hands and shifting when I move to the next cut as well.

Yep!! I love mine too - I started with the small one and bought the larger one right away. Definitely helps me keep up on cutting my scraps to size too.

I use the sticky note arrows to mark the increments needed. This helps when I'm cutting different sizes, but also when I have lots to cut.
    Elizabeth

I have used one for years but I often have to replace it as I run into the edges with my cutter and that also dulls the cutter. I will try the idea of using a regular ruler to stabilize it.

I rule with the June Taylor is that you have to have you blade straight up and down and your arm in line with the cutting line. It's amazing how we get in a hurry with any ruler and are really cutting at an angle which makes cuts imperfect and dulls the blade. Learned this at PIQF, was worth going to the show just for that tip. I love my June Taylor, use it every quilt.

I love the JT strip cutter -- I hate it when I can't use it. I use the 60mm rotary cutter and I can cut a bunch of strips with ease. I tend to do things backwards -- I find myself going from right to left (starting at the 12"/18") making my math a challenge. It works that way too -- thank goodness.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by misskira View Post
    Im doing a Mario quilt along. It's postage stamp style. The good news is that it's a block of the month style, so the cutting can be somewhat spread out. As for a shortcut, I was kind of hoping this would be it, lol. So far I'm cutting strips, then stacking 3 of them folded and cutting the squares, so getting 6.
    http://cuttopieces.blogspot.com/2012...ilt-along.html
    I'm afraid there is no short-cut for Mario. Happy cutting and sewing.

Jim
    I love my JT shape cut...I am on my second one..I bought my first one from QVC in 1995
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

I got mine because it was on clearance at Walmart and I am so glad that I did. It took me a while to remember to use it because after so many years of just using a ruler, I had brought it home and put it away. Then a few months ago I found it again and have been using it ever since. It is wonderful and I am really upset with myself for not using it right away.

Love it but when I'm doing tons of cuts I use the acuquilt.

I had to cut 744 2 1/2 " squares and I used my shape cutter. After I cut my strips I turned the shape cutter so it was horizontal and cut the squares. I had to make 2 horizontal cuts to cut the strips each time. One thing that helps is to mark all your cutting lines. I used small post it notes but they woud be too big for 1 1/2 " strips . There is some florescent tape that is skinny enough to use for 1 1/2' strips. Good luck.

Oh perfect question for me, I was just considering the JT Shape plus ruler, and wondering if it was worth it to get it. I have my answer now, thanks!
    Amythyst

I have the 60 degree diamond cutter, and love it! Way faster than cutting around a little template. I may need to try the regular shape cutter, too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
    I had to cut 744 2 1/2 " squares and I used my shape cutter. After I cut my strips I turned the shape cutter so it was horizontal and cut the squares. I had to make 2 horizontal cuts to cut the strips each time. One thing that helps is to mark all your cutting lines. I used small post it notes but they woud be too big for 1 1/2 " strips . There is some florescent tape that is skinny enough to use for 1 1/2' strips. Good luck.
    It does help to mark the slots you are using. I use a dry erase marker. Wipes right off with a tissue when finished.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast