Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
June Taylor shape cut rulers >

June Taylor shape cut rulers

June Taylor shape cut rulers

Old 08-31-2017, 11:28 AM

Default June Taylor shape cut rulers

I did a search here on both of these rulers the the pro which is 20x23 and the plus which is 12x18 and got more mixed up then before I started.. Now it does not take a lot to get me mixed up..LOL

I am trying to decide which ruler would be the best, the pro which is 20x23 and will cut in 2.5 increments, them there is the Plus which is 12x18 this one cuts in increments of 1/4 inch, the difference in them is the larger one PRO,you don't have to fold the fabric but the smaller one Plus you have to fold the fabric. I am thinking that the 12x18 Plus which would cut in 1/4 increments would be better and have more variety in cutting different sizes.

If you have either ruler could you tell me the pros and cons of the rulers..and if which one would be best to buy... Thanks
Old 08-31-2017, 11:39 AM

First question - how do you plan to store it when it is not in use? Walmart had one on clearance a few years ago, so I bought it. I have not needed the larger one. (But I also have the Accuquilt strip dies.) I am able to store mine flat on top of a cabinet, a larger one would be too big.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:53 AM

I have the plus and use it all the time. You'll be able to do more with it than the pro which only cuts in 2-1/2 inch increments.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

I have both. I don't use them often, but when I do I'm very happy to have them. You have to reposition the Plus to cut in 1/4" increments. The slots are actually 1/2" apart. quiltingcandy is correct that the Pro is harder to store. Mine is on top of a tall bookcase, with something more rigid under it so it doesn't flop down. If you use a lot of 2.5" strips, then the Pro is the one to get, otherwise I would probably go with the Plus.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:10 AM

I use my plus all the time. I love it! Never bought the pro.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:21 AM

Plus for sure
Old 09-01-2017, 06:30 AM

I store mine along with long rulers in an IKEA wall mounted newspaper rack, in the UK it is Spontan. I can also store cutting mats in it
Old 09-01-2017, 08:19 AM

I have both, and use them both to death...to the point where I had to replace the smaller one because it got sliced into too many times! I actually got the Creative Grids "Stripology" ruler instead as it's a lot thicker and I think it'll last longer under the fairly heavy use it gets with me. But same basic idea as the June Tailor rulers.

Slotted rulers are great. When I'm teaching quilting, I use colored highlighter tape to help mark what slots to cut in - gives my newbies a lot more confidence in their cutting and they get properly squared-up cuts more often. (I'm not a professional teacher, I've just gathered a group of friends who come to learn quilting with me for fun.)
Old 09-01-2017, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I have them all including multiples of the 12x12. I never use the 1/4 in. one. Even if I need 1/4 in. cuts, which is seldom, I use a much smaller ruler because it seems I only need !/4 in. measurements on very small blocks. I generally do not need that large a quantity and also with all the folding I loose accuracy. The 20x23 is great but I almost right aways cracked at the one to the outside of the ruler. It is just pretty heavy. I have multiple 12x12 and use those the most. Even if I need more strips I just move the ruler over.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Sewnoma- I actually got the Creative Grids "Stripology" ruler instead as it's a lot thicker and I think it'll last longer under the fairly heavy us

I haven't tried those but if they are the same but just heavier I think that would be a good investment as that is the weakness from the June Taylor ruler.