Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just about made it thru the month....

I have been doing really good so far have only needed to pick up 2 yards of pellon and some thread. I have finished 3 UFO's working on #4 a bargello. All those seams to line up! What was I thinking? OH YA I wasn't! LOL My true challenge will come when I go to the Sew Expo in Puyallup on March 1st. hopefully I will be able to stay away from the fabric but I will be getting longarm thread, needles, bobbins, and a new hopping foot. It is a 6 hr trip to my nearest dealer so I try to get enough to last a year, maybe some patterns. I want to have the bargello top finished by then at least, would like it better if I could have the quilting done by then too. Time will tell.

I decided ages ago no more stash-building, only buy planned purchases of fabric, use stash fabrics as much as possible. THEN I discovered a shop I posted about last week, that sells offcuts of quilting fabric by weight at a fraction of their usual price. Luckily it's in another city, but unfortunately I've needed to go there twice recently. Diet became binge! I told myself that given my limited budget and the terrible cost of fabric, it was only sensible to stock up while I could. Yeah, right!

I, too, have a diet of binging! I was being really good until this past Tuesday when I needed some more white fabric. I made a "quick" trip to Hancock's (we don't have any local quilt shops left), and an hour later, walked out with a HUGE bag of several fabrics -- all on sale, plus the needed white. Then I bought some pastels from members on the qb, and a box of greens from another qb'er. Oh well, maybe I'll get on my diet some other time!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJJ View Post
    I, too, have a diet of binging! I was being really good until this past Tuesday when I needed some more white fabric. I made a "quick" trip to Hancock's (we don't have any local quilt shops left), and an hour later, walked out with a HUGE bag of several fabrics -- all on sale, plus the needed white. Then I bought some pastels from members on the qb, and a box of greens from another qb'er. Oh well, maybe I'll get on my diet some other time!
    Glad I'm not the only yoyo dieter!

Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
    Glad I'm not the only yoyo dieter!
    I just wish it was only about fabrics! I need to lose weight, but don't have the will power. If only "wishing" could make it so..........
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    I was doing pretty good until I went to a link on Yardsellr.com. I was gifted with something they call PhotonBucks. I ran across some pretty purple fabric that was $9.50 a yard. With the PhotonBucks, it ended up costing $1.90 including shipping.

Just couldn't resist such a deal !!!
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    I would have made it except a friend phoned and asked if I wanted anything at one of the online fabric sites as she needed $15 more for free shipping. Of course, I had to help my friend out!!

When I'm trying not to buy I just don't go to the fabric stores.....it is REALLY hard not to buy when you see something you like!

I really need to go on a fabric diet. This is worse than a food diet. Just this morning I caved in and brought 2 fat quarters and a half yard of a tone on tone blue, which is the next to last fabric needed to start another quilt. The fat quarters were for tree trunks for another bear quilt. At least this is my justification for buying these two fabrics. Right now I have 8 quilts lined up in different stages of fabric completion before I can make these quilts. Quilting and fabrics are my biggest addiction, then food. I know I am not alone here.
    IdahoSandy

I backslid and bought $30 this week. I didn't mean to do it...just loved the fabric and seemed too good a deal to pass up since it was on sale. Wallowing in guilt.

I was good during the month of May, 2011. No purchases of fabric but OMG June made up for it!

That's what I need to do, though my last purchase was for printable fabric sheets from EQ.

Blog Entries
    I have been good! Only bought fabric for a baby quilt for my nephew's new baby didn't have any baby fabric.
    Quilting in the Desert

Blog Entries
    I have stayed away from my LQS, did real good there, but brought my Husky into Joann's (dealer has space there) and there was a clearance area, bought only $15 worth for quilt backs. My machine is ready for pick up, and I think I will have my DD pick it up for me. I spent another $5 on a huge box from my Goodwill. I am also keeping a list of what I spend on quilting for 2012.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I just finished sorting and shelving my fabric-out of tubs and in my line of site. Bad move-now not only do I know what I have so does DH. I don't NEED any more fabric-but --but--I WANT IT!!
    Need to finish up some of my current projects-mostly kids quilts. I actually have 11 tops that need quilting. So back at it.

Blog Entries
    My local joanns is moving to a larger store. They won't accept any coupons or honor flyer until new store opens so i am on enforced fabric diet until march 9.
    Probably a good thing

I'm still "master of my domain", but it's been tough. Had a cart all ready for checkout at Connecting Threads, but I haven't done it.....yet. Now if I can just lay off the stinkin' cookies and drop a few lbs. Fabric isn't my only serious downfall.

I fell of the wagon Friday night. I was in the store at the clearance area. I saw 2 different fabrics one blue & the other green. My colors. I cound not leave then there. They were 0.50 cents a yard!!! I had to get them both. I got 2.5 yards for $2.50. The devil made me do it.

I have not spent any money on fabric this month. Pat on the back, for me. LOL

Know the feeling Stitches.

Well, I fell off the wagon with a loud THUD!! Was doing okay (only bought 2 yards for a sample for my LQS) until Friday. I found some "handyman" fabric that coordinates with a panel I've been wanting to make my grandson. Bought 6 yards, but that's still a lot less than I normally do.

Quote Originally Posted by LTeachergeorge View Post
    Well, I fell off the wagon with a loud THUD!! Was doing okay (only bought 2 yards for a sample for my LQS) until Friday. I found some "handyman" fabric that coordinates with a panel I've been wanting to make my grandson. Bought 6 yards, but that's still a lot less than I normally do.
    That is OK in my book. The fabric you bought has a purpose. You were not adding stash.
    Sweet Caroline

I have done pretty well. I only bought some sweatshirt fleece backing for a t shirt memory quilt. Well, and a yard of Valentine fabric.

I haven't done bad, except I am looking at buying another vintage machine now, but the guy hasn't returned my call. Starting to think he may have already sold it, rats! That would save me money, but I would rather have the machine and blow my budget.

Dee
    No fabric in 3 whole months. If only I could do this with food.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast