Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just another reminder to check the obvious!

Just another reminder to check the obvious!

I've been having a world of trouble with the automatic needle threader on my Singer 160. No matter what position I put the needle in... or how fast I pressed the lever....or how slow (LOL)....or how much tension was on the thread... I could not get the thread to go into the needle!

I studied the sewing machine manual and prepared my tools this evening. That threader was going to work, no matter what! I tweaked and oiled the mechanism a little. Still, no luck.

All of a sudden a thought popped into my head.... change the NEEDLE! I changed the needle and guess what? Threader problem solved.

Recently I was working on a George Washington costume for a friend's son (don't ask how I got that job!). It required me to sew through elastic in a casing. I assume that sewing through that thick elastic caused the needle to bend ever so slightly, thus the threader could not get through the eye.

So as a public service announcement - always check the obvious things! Needle, bobbin thread (make sure it's going counter-clockwise), burrs on your thread spool - things like that will cause problems that drive you nutty, and they are so easily fixed!

Blog Entries
    Wow! That seems obvious in hindsight, but not sure I would have twigged to it the way you did.

Wow....thanks...solved my problem! Thought is just quit working...and the needle is just bent ever so slightly!

Blog Entries
    thanks for the reminder
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I had one machine that had a DVD showing how to use the threader, finally figured it out. I have one on my Babylock Jane and haven't figured it out. I just thread the needle and sew on. I find they just get in my way.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Anniedeb, you're welcome! That's why I post these things.... to hopefully help out someone else. Because we tend to forget the simple stuff when we get all caught up in our sewing!

I love the needle threader on my new Janome - have never been to work the one on my New Home.

Blog Entries
    I cannot figure out the auto threader on my Brother 1500. It has won, I have lost.
    Got fabric?

I have threaders on two of my machines. Never use them. Tried once on each - the learning time for me was not worth it. I just thread the needle. One less thing to monkey with and have go wrong. (And I have very bad eyes - when threading is defeating me I keep a magnifying glass on hand.)

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes my automatic needle threader doesn't work. I never thought it could be the needle. Thank you a million times over!!! I will change my needle when it doesn't work. I'm sure that's the problem! It's so obvious, but something I never thought about! You're a godsend! I love my auto needle threader when it works!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

You're welcome! Actually, when I bought the Singer 160 machine last year, I was surprised that the threader worked so well. I agree that the threaders on most machines are just a royal pain, but this one is not... that's why I was determined to get it back working again! (My Singer One Plus has the exact same threader - that one works great too!)

So funny that the needle fixed the problem. The dealer that I use once told me that if I'm ever having troubles with the machine, change the needle first - that fixes a lot of problems!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Auto-threader

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I cannot figure out the auto threader on my Brother 1500. It has won, I have lost.
    You aren't alone! I think because it threads from the side instead of front to back like the others usually do.

Patti Sue
    Patti Sue

Hi, I found the threader wouldn't work on my Brother Innovis 30, someone told me to change the needle. I'd been using a ball point but once changed to a regular one everything worked like a dream.

There is a little tiny clip on the threader that also bends just slightly sometimes. If you use your ripper or a stylus, you can usually straighten it just a little and it will once again push the thread throught the needle

I can relate. Just last night I rethreaded my new Brother Innov'is machine and then couldn't get the presser foot to go down. The little screen kept reading: lower presser foot, and I kept trying, while talking loud to that screen! Then I realized the knee lift lever was jammed up against the side of the table. I freed it and what do you know? presser foot mechanism worked again! My only excuse is that it was late, I was tired, and I jumped to a negative conclusion, thinking "Oh no, this expensive machine, which I've had 5 months, is broken!"

Also, make sure you push the "up/down" button on your machine. The threader will not work unless it is positioned properly.

I didn't know that and took the auto-threader off of my Janome. I use it on my Brother and it works!!

I have since read that every needle has a groove above the eye. If you push the thread in that general direction it will slip into the hole.
    :-)
    CAS

[/QUOTE}So as a public service announcement - always check the obvious things! Needle, bobbin thread (make sure it's going counter-clockwise), burrs on your thread spool - things like that will cause problems that drive you nutty, and they are so easily fixed![/QUOTE]

Kinda like buying a new printer cartridge and forgetting to install it! Yep, did that yesterday.

I have a Bernina model that you have to have the presser foot down in order to use the threader. I too thought the threader was too much trouble, but once you use it it saves so much time and frustration. The plastic part that brings the threader down broke, and I didn't even go 3 hours before I had worked out a fix!
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

When my auto needle threader doesn't work I learned the hard way change the needle. Problem solved. So glad you were able to solve yours! Happy quilting.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Blog Entries
    I haven't experienced that particular problem..yet, but recently I was all set up to do some sewing and my machine would not sew. It made noise, but no movement. It was locked up. After messing with it for a good half hour or better I was seriously thinking of putting it in the garbage. As I was picking up items to put away, I noticed that the spindle that I have to use for rewinding a bobbin was pushed into the threading position. Pushed it back and lo and behold...everything was working. I'm sure my face was a little red, but I could sew again. I now check the rewind spindle first. Live and learn. Hugs

Blog Entries
    at one class we were told that moving the spindle to the winding bobbin position was the fastest way to disable the machine if you have to walk away from it for a minute and there are curious hands in the house.

Blog Entries
    I have a Brother with a needle threader that I couldn't learn to use UNTIL I saw my daughter use it and BINGO! I can use mine now. Great for old eyes.
    TwandasMom

That's a neat idea, moving to bobbin position, as long as you remember you did it when you come back! I remember taking my Janome to a quilting class, and it was DEAD, I could not get the screen to come up after restarting several times. I accidentally found out I had moved the light adjustment dial for the screen, so it was too dark to see. The button for it was up where I put thread in. So I accidentally turned it off, and then accidentally (farting around with it "forever" panicking that I wouldn't have a machine to use for class") turned it back on. It was a wheel adjustment right by the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
    at one class we were told that moving the spindle to the winding bobbin position was the fastest way to disable the machine if you have to walk away from it for a minute and there are curious hands in the house.
    :-)
    CAS

And it is, of course, the last thing we try that fixes the problem
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast