Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just curious re Tula Pink >

Just curious re Tula Pink

Just curious re Tula Pink

Old 07-21-2019, 10:52 AM

Default Just curious re Tula Pink

Just curious about why all the excitement about the Tula Pink thread for quilting. Why would you want to quilt with 100% cotton thread? I have been using Superior Threads So Fine and Glide for quilting for many years in our LA quilting business. I always piece with 60 wt Presencia Cotton Thread to reduce thread build up in seams. I always pieced with cotton thread because that’s just what i learned. I just learned that the reason not to use polyester thread in piecing is it can melt when pressing with a hot iron. Learn something new every day.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:08 AM

It is a learning experience for each quilter. Sometimes we don't know what we don't know.

I've used Aurifil and So Fine for piecing as I learned about them in class from our instructor. A recent experience with Glide for quilting that was good too. I had previously used the pre-wound bobbins but not the cone threads. I also use pre-wound bobbins for piecing at times.

I've used EMB polyester thread for quilting without issues. It's even been used for piecing on occasion. I've never melted it with the iron so far. LOL!

Threads (and needles) can be a confusing lot in the life of a new quilter. Eventually, we find our own way.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:30 PM

I did a search for Tula Pink thread and found it's just Aurifil. I think
a lot of fabric designers pick their own colors. If you go to
Fat Quarter Shop you will see a lot of designer sets.
https://www.fatquartershop.com/aurifil-thread/aurifil-thread-boxes

And what's wrong with quilting with cotton? To each his/her own.

Last edited by EasyPeezy; 07-21-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:16 PM

I do my quilting on my DSM. I like Aurifil cotton thread for piecing and quilting, use the same neutral colors for both so usually don't worry about matching thread sets. I have used Aurifil brand clear rayon or other brands for specialty quilting, i.e., wall hanging, machine applique. I guess we each just use what ever we like.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:18 PM

Nothing wrong with it, if you like it. Like I said I was just curious as I had not used it before.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

I use all kinds of thread on my machine. Even serger!
Old 07-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

A lot of fabric and quilt designers have a line of thread with their name on it but it is usually one brand and their name represents the colors they chose for a set, not a brand of thread just for them. Aurifil has the biggest line of designer threads sold in color sets. I like thin poly thread for quilting. Cotton thread for piecing is my choice.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 PM

I always quilt with 100% cotton. Everything else within the quilt is all cotton, why would I quilt it with anything else? I guess I am just a cotton purist.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:02 PM

Why use 100% cotton thread fir quilt? I ask why not? As for polyester thread, aren’t many commercial garments made with it? They don’t melt with ironing.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:42 AM

I only use polyester quilt thread and have made many quilts with it and never had a problem with it. I personally don't like cotton thread, even Aurifil. Just my opinion though.