Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just finished quilt top and all I see are my mistakes >

just finished quilt top and all I see are my mistakes

just finished quilt top and all I see are my mistakes

Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM

Well, just stop it. Stand back and squint if you have to and look at the work of art you have created. You, a friend, or a member of your family will enjoy your quilts for many years to come. Life is tooooo short to focus on the mistakes we make. Instead be thankful for every day, that you've learned a new skill, that you can make something beautiful and useful. Oh yea, and stand back and say "WOW, look what I made." OK, now I'll get off my soapbox!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:45 AM

The problem with being a quilter is that you work for a long time on one project. You have to be as exact as possible. If you are detail oriented, you look at the finished quilt and see all your mistakes. It happens to me all the time. You have to forgive yourself. Alot of people won't see what you think are mistakes. I remember being so upset about a very involved cross stitch picture I did. I told my mother how sad I was that I had stitched the wrong color in one portion. She told me she wouldn't have known it was there if I hadn't pointed it out to her.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 AM

Dina,
Here is my perspective...
I have been to quilt shows that have the blue ribbon quilts hanging for all to see. If I look at them closely, and I really do to see what I need to do to improve, I see some issues with every quilt. "Oh, those stitches are not the same length.", "Wait, there is a point just a fraction of an inch off", OMGosh, I can see the stitching in that seam,etc." So, as long as I strive to improve with every quilt, if there are mistakes in a quilt they are there for a purpose, even if it is something that I need to remember to improve on the next time. I have a friend who remarks about what an artist I am, and my sis likes to call me "Artsy Fartsy", and I am also one of those who can point out every mistake. If you love it, give yourself a break, enjoy the process and try to improve with each project.

Happy quilting.
Susan
Old 10-21-2011, 08:46 AM

When I see mistakes in quilts that authors have in quilts shown at show and lectures I decided that I should not worry about mine. The amish have a saying about only God does perfect. They make at least one mistake on purpose so that he will not be jealous. I have adpoted this not that I have to make mistakes on purpose, I make plenty with out trying. So give youself a brake. As time goes by you will get better. But I think as with me and my quilting friends there is always a mistake or two,
Old 10-21-2011, 10:26 AM

dont be so hard on yourself in time you will get better by learning from your mistakes, i was once told by a elderly quilter that did beautiful work that there is no such thing as a perfect quilt ( keep that in mind)
Old 10-21-2011, 10:51 AM

Don't forget absolute perfection usually has less personality than one with a bit of flaws. Learn to accept each one as a different "person". I can point out every flaw in each of my quilts as I can also in my friends. But, if I did, what would that do for me? Nothing! I love them all with or without perfections. Friends and quilts alike. Feel blessed that you were able to produce such a neat thing. All babies aren't perfect either, but don't we love them all? Next time you look at your finished quilt - remember someone will love it like it should be loved.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 AM

It is called an Eagle Eye! My eye always travels to those things first and they really stand out for me when no one else seems to see them.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:11 AM

Well, I am telling my secrets lol, but I have a little ritual I do when I finish a quilt. When I hang it up to take the finished photo, first I look it over good. Of course this is the time when the mistakes stand out the most. Here is what I do:
I touch each mistake that I see; identify why I made it so I can try not to make it again; decide if it is something that simply must be corrected or if I can live with it.

If it must be corrected, then I do that.
If I can live with it (and almost always I can), I touch it again and say so much for you and put it out of my mind. Gone, good-bye, not going to think about that one again!!!

I don't beat myself up at all because I know with each quilt I have done my best all the way along the process. I am a kind person, so why would I be kind to everyone around me and not also be kind to myself? :D
Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 PM

If it bothers you that much, donate it to a charity and start something different. All this takes is practice. As Deborahlees said, they will be amazed at what you created, and the love in the quilt.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
I just finished a quilt top, and I find that all I can see are my mistakes. Is that the way we all are? The top really looks good, but I am wondering. Do I ever get to a point where I don't see my mistakes right off and can look at the quilt immediately and appreciate it?

(I posted this with pictures, but I am posting it again without pictures, as I really want to know if I will ever get over this. I figure more quilters look at the Main section than the Pictures, which is where my original message got sent.)So, is this the way I will always see a quilt right after I finish the top? Mistake, mistake, and more mistakes?

Mine are far from perfect & I wish they turned out better. I give most as gifts & feel that if I don't point out the mistakes to the recipient, unless they are a quilter, they won't even notice them. Mine are far from show quality, but they are made with love for whoever is getting them. I so enjoy making them & people seem to appreciate that I made them for whoever got them.
So my philosophy is: Don't apologize for & don't point out the mistakes! :lol: