Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is JUST a hobby >

This is JUST a hobby

This is JUST a hobby

Old 06-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I don't mind saying no at all to anything I don't want to do but I like to kill with kindness sometimes. I tell the person I will make the quilt but you have to go with me to buy the fabric, pattern of my skill level, and thread. I only use quality quilt shop fabric when I make a quilt for hire so meet me here: name of quilt shop. I also say I charge 4 times the cost of supplies as my labor charge. This cost does not include quilting the quilt. I will have another person do the quilting, you will pay their fee, and I will bind it. Usually if the person makes the appointment by the time she sees the cost and how much fabric is needed plus the backing I get the UH I really can't make up my mind, I'll have to think about it and I never hear about the quilt again. Anyone mentions tee shirt quilt to me I say NO, can't help, won't help. But know someone that takes orders. LOL
Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 AM

I need a $400.00 "deposit" first. $600.00 balance due upon completion. Wink wink.

I was asked about the purse I made for me. I replied that I had 8 hours of labor invested in It. "Never mind"! Was the response! They "got it".

sandy
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 AM

I have made some quilts on commission. I don't mind doing it, if it's fabric I love and for someone I know. I only ever had one bad experience - a baby quilt I made ages ago for a woman who was an "internet friend" wanted it made for a friend of hers. She did pay for the materials, but she complained the entire time about how long it was taking. I told her it wouldn't be fast because a) I was a new quilter; b) I was a single mom and c) I held a very demanding full time job and went to school. Still, it only took a couple of months and I thought it turned out just beautifully. Of course, when she received it, she loved it and apologized profusely, but that didn't repair the damage she did to my reputation by bitching about me on the forum board where we both participated. The recipient of the quilt loved it so much she wouldn't use it. /sigh It was "too beautiful for a baby to mess up."

I've done a few more since then, but only for people I know and those I KNOW will love the quilt, like the one I'm making now for my husband's best friend. He commissioned it as a gift for his wife's birthday, and I'm only charging him for the fabric. I have one other I'm making for a former co-worker that wants to give it to her brother for Christmas, and she taught me everything I know about the field I'm in, so I don't mind doing it - and it's a fabric I REALLY wanted to work with. LOL But there's nothing wrong with saying No. I do it way more than someone might think!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Tell folks you only quilt for family and there isn't enough money to pay you for your time. Now try this : put your tongue o the top of your mouth and go nnnnn now at an o!!practice 10 minutes per day. My husband had to learn that! LO
Old 06-08-2014, 10:59 AM

I'm glad you learned to say no. Keep practicing and don't give in. Once you stop treating it as the hobby it is it becomes a job and you're retired so no more jobs!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:46 PM

Location: San Isidro de San Ramon, Costa Rica & Calgary, Canada

Originally Posted by misschris View Post
I wonder if there is an invisible sign on my roof that says I'm in the sewing business. I've sewn for years and I have had people calling me and out of no where asking me to mend, create, and even alter prom and bridal. I have done some for special people but have ceased to do that except for family. Two years ago when I retired I started quilting. I love my new hobby and the creativity it affords me. Now I am getting calls to make quilts. REALLY? I have to tell people NO...you can't afford me. Quilting takes time and how can you even begin to calculate? I make quilts for my grandchildren and people I love because I want to. I struggle with the "no" word because I care. I just can't get myself into that scene again. I need to learn to say NO and not feel guilty.
You think you have a sign. I live half the year in Costa Rica and I get calls looking for the seamstress! In Spanish, no less. So the sign must be universal
Old 06-08-2014, 02:10 PM

I say my minimum charge is $2400.00 for a twin size quilt.

That ends the conversation right there.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 AM

You're retired. Period. That's the time to do what YOU want, not what others want you to do. You've done what others wanted all your life. Now it's your turn. Enjoy doing what you want guilt free! You've already given! You're paid up! (It's my motto these days.)
Old 06-09-2014, 03:04 AM

My grandmother used to say to those who asked, "I never sell my quilts. I give them to those I love."
Old 06-09-2014, 03:09 AM

I was asked by the girl that has been cutting my hair for 25 years, to hem some pants for her. I told her it would be $15. a pair. She thought that was way too much. I then explained that she spends about 15 minutes trimming my hair for $25. and she wanted me to spend over an hour for less that. She has never asked again.