Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is JUST a hobby >

This is JUST a hobby

This is JUST a hobby

Old 06-12-2014, 05:18 PM

Would those who are asking return the favor if things were reversed? The more you say "no" the easier it gets. I have had special requests for quilts that are supposed to be gifts. Really, you want what colors? What Pattern? Here Honey, is a quarter. Call somebody who will care
Old 06-12-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
I
Saying no becomes a whole lot easier when you realize that your closer to the exit door
than you are from the entrance!
This line is priceless for so many things. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I have learned the best way to cut these people off is by saying: "I would love to teach you to make the quilt. It will be a lot of fun for both of us." With this, it has been the last I've heard of making a quilt for them.
That's how I deal with it too. Because I really wouldn't mind teaching them how to quilt.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 AM

I like the idea of telling them something like $750 to piece the top plus cost of fabric. They would also need to check with a long arm quilter to see what the charge would be to complete the quilt. Just a thought.

I have also heard it said they would have someone pick out the pattern they wanted and take them to the store to see what the fabric would cost and they usually don't want to spend the cost of the fabric and pattern much less a hefty sum for construction and quilting.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
Isn't it odd that we love to quilt when it's for love but as soon as we're doing the same thing for money it turns into a job that we don't like. We're still quilting but...motive is different.
It's a type of selfishness, I think. And before anybody gets mad at me, I think a certain degree of selfishness is required for a person to stay balanced and sane. I freely admit to being a selfish person.

What I mean is:

I'm willing to invest a lot of time (and money) on enriching myself and my life. For me, quilting is enriching.

I am not nearly as willing to invest a lot of time on a task that is done per someone else's orders.

Time is the one thing I can never earn more of, and selfishly, I reserve a lot of my "spare" time for living my own life.

I could be selfless and give and give and give, but that's not a healthy way to live life and eventually I'd have nothing to give anymore. SO, I am selfish with my time. I'm generous with giving away what comes out of that time, but I REFUSE to take orders about what to do with that time.

Maybe if my quilting could generate the same kind of income as my day job, I'd consider switching jobs. Maybe I'd switch to quilting for a paycheck and programming for fun, instead of the other way around. But either way, I'm going to selfishly hold part of my time for ME.

And I'm unapologetic about it, I think it's healthy to be that way and anybody who tries to convince me otherwise is probably trying to take advantage of me!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
It's a type of selfishness, I think. And before anybody gets mad at me, I think a certain degree of selfishness is required for a person to stay balanced and sane. I freely admit to being a selfish person.

What I mean is:

I'm willing to invest a lot of time (and money) on enriching myself and my life. For me, quilting is enriching.

I am not nearly as willing to invest a lot of time on a task that is done per someone else's orders.

Time is the one thing I can never earn more of, and selfishly, I reserve a lot of my "spare" time for living my own life.

I could be selfless and give and give and give, but that's not a healthy way to live life and eventually I'd have nothing to give anymore. SO, I am selfish with my time. I'm generous with giving away what comes out of that time, but I REFUSE to take orders about what to do with that time.

Maybe if my quilting could generate the same kind of income as my day job, I'd consider switching jobs. Maybe I'd switch to quilting for a paycheck and programming for fun, instead of the other way around. But either way, I'm going to selfishly hold part of my time for ME.

And I'm unapologetic about it, I think it's healthy to be that way and anybody who tries to convince me otherwise is probably trying to take advantage of me!
Bravo! A good way to explain taking care of oneself.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:56 AM

Well said. I'm so selfish that I don't even feel bad when I say No.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Quossum View Post
It takes all the fun out of a hobby to do it for money. Besides, entering into a "business" relationship with friends or family often ends badly.
Originally Posted by Quossum View Post

I had an internet friend I considered "close." I had a new book of patterns of various breeds of dogs, and I offered to make a wall hanging for her featuring her breed. She took me up on my offer...but wanted me to make the wall hanging for a friend of *hers,* that I didn't even know. Huh? Though that totally hadn't been the point, I didn't have a spine and reluctantly gave in to her, "But you'd be making a wall hanging anyway," and agreed to do it. Now it became more a commission piece (that I was doing for free), with my friend dictating the colors, the styles, critiquing my work (she was not a quilter)--I finished it and sent it off to her, but our friendship didn't survive. Once she received it, oohed and ahhed over it appropriately, and told me how much her friend loved it...I never heard from her again.

I make a quilt for our club's annual party, and without fail someone asks me how much I charge, would I make them one...I don't even get into prices; I just say, "This is a hobby for me; doing commissions takes the fun out of it." (Though my buddies do eventually get one!)

--Q
Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
I have made some quilts on commission. I don't mind doing it, if it's fabric I love and for someone I know. I only ever had one bad experience - a baby quilt I made ages ago for a woman who was an "internet friend" wanted it made for a friend of hers. She did pay for the materials, but she complained the entire time about how long it was taking. I told her it wouldn't be fast because a) I was a new quilter; b) I was a single mom and c) I held a very demanding full time job and went to school. Still, it only took a couple of months and I thought it turned out just beautifully. Of course, when she received it, she loved it and apologized profusely, but that didn't repair the damage she did to my reputation by bitching about me on the forum board where we both participated. The recipient of the quilt loved it so much she wouldn't use it. /sigh It was "too beautiful for a baby to mess up."
Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post

I've done a few more since then, but only for people I know and those I KNOW will love the quilt, like the one I'm making now for my husband's best friend. He commissioned it as a gift for his wife's birthday, and I'm only charging him for the fabric. I have one other I'm making for a former co-worker that wants to give it to her brother for Christmas, and she taught me everything I know about the field I'm in, so I don't mind doing it - and it's a fabric I REALLY wanted to work with. LOL But there's nothing wrong with saying No. I do it way more than someone might think!
The Internet is a great way of connecting with (not so much as actual meeting) people. I have done business transactions with people online. I never considered them “friends” beyond in a simple superficial way. This is what I believe is the challenge of the 21st century. Placing “familiarity” in it’s proper place with “real” people that are a part of your day-to-day life in the real world, not anonymous bytes.

Originally Posted by jaly3162 View Post
Here is my story: I quilt as a hobby. My son's friend wanted me to his a California king size quilt for him. He picked the pattern and he "OKed" the fabric. Of course, I bought quilting store fabric because he was paying me to make this quilt. I make sure I did a good job and had it quilted. Never got a dime and not even a "thank you" card or phone call. NEVER again will I make a quilt for pay.

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
I quilt because I enjoy it,try to sell a few,but only give to family.My daughter had a friend call her up and asked for a quilt for free for a camping cabin so she would not have to taker her good blanket there-I was so insulted for my daughter-she said no.I think a home made quilt is way better than any store bought blanket anyway.

Here is a no better examples of how the average person feels what a quilt is-even lower than even a plain jane store bought blanket.

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
I was asked by the girl that has been cutting my hair for 25 years, to hem some pants for her. I told her it would be $15. a pair. She thought that was way too much. I then explained that she spends about 15 minutes trimming my hair for $25. and she wanted me to spend over an hour for less that. She has never asked again.

This is how I personally deal with the usual requests of sewing/mending/quilting-usually for free, although sometimes for promised, usually never paid, money-for anybody. I encourage them to purchase a already-made quilt of their choice from the various online selling websites for quilts and similar handcrafts. When they see how much these women (even a few men) charge for their quilts, they don’t bother me again. None of these selfsame something-for-nothing-bargain-grubby people has ever bought these products online, that is for sure. And I don’t mend for anyone-even for myself-as I absolutely hate doing it unless the mending will extend the life of a given sewing product or custom-fit the garment to my own physical body in order to help me make my own ends meet.

As for mending, dressmaking, and tailoring, I did that professionally many years ago in sample rooms. It was just horrible that I was only paid the minimum wage of that time for well sewn products that were ooohed and awwwed over-and used- by the well-to-do and wealthy of my city. I cannot work at far less than a living wage level and allowing others to take full advantage of me ever again. No one in her or his right mind would do so. You be surprised how miserably low women (and even some men) are paid for their hard honest needlework even today. I guess that is a why so much of the fabric and fashion industry-including even quilting-has been exported to some far off shore somewhere in the world. There are people who are willing to do it for just pennies in those places.

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
I have several high end machines, including a 10 needle embroidery machine. I purchased it because I wanted it, not to go into business. As soon as people (family mostly)found out I had it they started asking about embroidered jackets and hats and such with names and designs that show off THEIR hobby. I tell them I am not in business, nor do I want to be. They ask why I got it? Reason? Because I WANTED ONE. I always get the "but the extra money will help pay off your machine". Sorry sweetie, they all were paid for when they left the store. "Well, we ARE family, so you are still going to do them, right?" Uh, no.
Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
When I was designing and making wedding gowns, I was expected to make prom dresses, do alterations on dresses they bought for weddings, even got volunteered to do a wedding for "a poor distraught bride who is going through a rough time" for little or no compensation!
My machine, my time, my decision...period.
I very rarely post on (or read) Facebook, but last year I won a 4th place ribbon at the county fair for one of my quilts and I was really proud of it, so I went ahead & posted about it.

I got a FLOOD of requests & demands, mostly from people who never bothered to talk to me otherwise - some were at least considerate enough to offer to pay me (although all but one of them asked what the family/friend discount was) and some had what I considered to be outrageous requests - some people seemed to think they were doing me a favor by asking for a quilt. "Oh cool! I was going to buy the girls new bed quilts, but now you can make them!", or "Hey, I need 2 baby quilts for 2 different baby showers, how fast can you make them? {followed by a list of specifications as far as colors, type of pattern, etc. and a 2 week deadline, and a comment that they hoped that shipping wouldn't be 'too expensive'}" Uh...wow. Yeah, none of that is going to happen.

I didn't respond to any of the "gimmie" messages at all. Rudeness begets rudeness. Folks offering to pay or politely inquiring if I made quilts to sell were rebuffed as kindly as possible.
That’s the spirit!

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 07-21-2014 at 02:35 PM.