Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is JUST a hobby >

This is JUST a hobby

This is JUST a hobby

Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 PM

I don't tell anyone no. But I do tell them, while I am laughing, that I have 35 works in progress which will probably take me at least 5 to 10 years to finish, and if I can keep myself from starting another quilt I am crazy about, I will put them on the list for a quilt, but it will be one of my choosing, any color I want. Did I mention that my favorite 2 colors are teal green and purple, not necessarily in the same quilt? That usually shuts them up quick. Then I offer to teach them to quilt. No one really wants to take the time to learn, and give up what they consider their leisure time, even people who know how to sew. I don't know if they even consider that it is my time they are asking me to donate to them. GRRRRR!!!!!

I have one gd, who is 10, that really wants to learn. I'm going to get her to spend some time with me this summer. She is already a good little artist. Our first quilt will probably be only 5 or 6 inch blocks. I'll let her go through my extensive stash and pick out the fabrics she wants in her quilt. I am really looking forward to this.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I had a hair dresser say she would love to have a quilt. It was the first time I went to her. My mouth dropped open and nothing came out.
My knee-jerk reaction probably would have been to say, "Yeah? Well that's perfect, I'd like free hairstyling for a couple years, wanna trade?"

Come to think of it, THAT is a deal I'd probably actually go for...maybe I should see if my stylist likes quilts? LOL
Old 06-10-2014, 05:15 PM

quilter 68 I absolutely love your idea..With my back problems I wouldn't hesitate to do this type of trade
Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Mae

DH wanted me to make two Crown Royal quilts for the American Legion, one to raffle and one to give to a veteran. I told him to get the vets to wash the bags, cut off the seams and fuse stabilizer on the inside. He dropped the subject, especially since I gave him a source to send the bags to and their price list.

He thought that since I was involved with making some charity quilts for soldiers and children that I would jump at the chance to make these.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 PM

For my New Year's resolution, I learned to say "No."
Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 AM

Yep..I quilt for love, not for money.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:02 AM

Not a quilt, but an elderly lady I had once told her I would hem a pair of slacks for her as needed, she asked me to "alter" some curtains. she doesn't sew but told me if would not be much to cut this, resew that etc. I said No I do not have time to do all the projects I want. I do not feel guilty for saying no.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:18 AM

I, too, tell the people that I would teach them to make their own quilt. I also tell them that I have so many projects that I want to do that I really don't have time to do someone else's quilt justice. So far, no one has taken me up on learning how to quilt. (My brother-in-law asked me to make a King size quilt out of Crown Royal bags! Really)
Old 06-11-2014, 05:37 AM

I usually just explain that I don't do commissioned works because people aren't willing to pay what I would need to charge to make it worth my time. When they ask how much, I tell them that my hourly rate is $x/hour and it takes 50 hours per quilt (easily) and add a couple hundred for materials, and that is usually the last I hear about it.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:57 AM

Isn't it odd that we love to quilt when it's for love but as soon as we're doing the same thing for money it turns into a job that we don't like. We're still quilting but...motive is different.